Eldorado Door Wind Noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Eldorado Door Wind Noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thank you.....
    jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

Re: Eldorado Door Wind Noise

Thank you..

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by jammgm View Post
    Taz, what did you do to align the new gasket. When looking at the mirror and door gaskets, I cant tell where the problem is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Good info on the door gasget adjustment.

The mirror gasket has the 3 bolts holding the mirror on and 3 screws. One screw goes through a metal tab on the gasket. Loosen these and align the gasket to make a smooth transition on the forward glass egde. Silicone and heat on the door gasket where they meet will help seal it. Or bring it to Texas in a month or so and let it sit in the 100 degree heat for an afternoon.
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post

The mirror gasket has the 3 bolts holding the mirror on and 3 screws. One screw goes through a metal tab on the gasket. Loosen these and align the gasket to make a smooth transition on the forward glass egde. Silicone and heat on the door gasket where they meet will help seal it. Or bring it to Texas in a month or so and let it sit in the 100 degree heat for an afternoon.
    Taz
    Thanks for the info Taz.
    As for applying heat, I'll use a heat gun or dryer vs coming to Texas. Not a fan of real hot weather from living in New England.

Taz
    Ranger, Taz, I just received my replacement gasket from Chris (Rippy) and getting ready to replace it. Very fast service
    Before removing all the bolts, how does the plastic cover come off? Does it pop off or lift up?

Thanks, Jim

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jammgm View Post
    Ranger, Taz, I just received my replacement gasket from Chris (Rippy) and getting ready to replace it. Very fast service
    Before removing all the bolts, how does the plastic cover come off? Does it pop off or lift up?

Thanks, Jim
    i.e. I'm referring to item #5 from the parts diagram.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not that familiar with the Eldo.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

On mine, it came off with the door panel...

be SURE to remove the phillips head screw under the window switch BEFORE you begin to lift the door panel upwards.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Tankboy40 View Post
    On mine, it came off with the door panel...
    That's what I am familiar with on the Deville. Kind of thought the Eldo would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    That's what I am familiar with on the Deville. Kind of thought the Eldo would be the same.
    Hmm.. I'm starting to remember that now having taken them off several times. Must have been a case of CRS.

Thanks guys..

----------

Taz
    Taz, when you apply the heat to the door gasket, do you apply it to soften it than close the door on it to have it form the seal to the mirror gasket? Just trying to understand how this is done to improve the sealing between the 2.

If you are asking about the interior plastic vent on the door panel which covers the mirror bolts and such, you need to pull the door panel. That piece is hot glued and nutted to the door panel. Be carefull not to break the tabs on the bottom of the panel. Lift up first, then rotate way from the door. Even if you are carefull, the tabs may break due to age and the sticky foan they put on them. It happened to me and I've had Eldo door panel off dozens of time.
    Yes, Mine had been mis-aligned for 10 years. After aligning there was a gap where the mirror gasket used to meet up the door gasket so I heated up the door gasket (where the mirror gasket met) then closed the door and let it cool. I've done 3 cycles so far and it's gotten much better. Mind you, it was cold (30's) when I was doing this. If I had more patience, I would have waited till the heat came and it would have re-moulded itself to the new shape faster.
    Taz

If you are asking about the interior plastic vent on the door panel which covers the mirror bolts and such, you need to pull the door panel. That piece is hot glued and nutted to the door panel. Be carefull not to break the tabs on the bottom of the panel. Lift up first, then rotate way from the door. Even if you are carefull, the tabs may break due to age and the sticky foan they put on them. It happened to me and I've had Eldo door panel off dozens of time.
    Yes, Mine had been mis-aligned for 10 years. After aligning there was a gap where the mirror gasket used to meet up the door gasket so I heated up the door gasket (where the mirror gasket met) then closed the door and let it cool. I've done 3 cycles so far and it's gotten much better. Mind you, it was cold (30's) when I was doing this. If I had more patience, I would have waited till the heat came and it would have re-moulded itself to the new shape faster.
    Taz
    So what exactly was out of alignment on the mirror gasket? When looking at the new one, it doesn't look like it would.move much. Just curious...

The window was out of alignment. The front edge was too high and kept ripping the mirror gasket. Plus it was forward about 1/4".
    Taz

The window was out of alignment. The front edge was too high and kept ripping the mirror gasket. Plus it was forward about 1/4".
    Taz
    Got it.. thx!

Taz,
    I replaced the mirror gasket (Thanks Chris!) as per your instructions which fixed some of the noise but still had it coming from the front part of the door. I siliconed the door seal on the car but that didnt help. I found the part of the gasket on the car that meets up with the mirror gasket wasn't sticking out enough. So I got some weather stripping from Lowes/HD with the adhesive backing and placed a couple pieces stacked up behind the seal to push it out more. The drivers side is now completely quiet. Just have to do the passenger side and should be good to go. Thanks again for your help.
    Jim

99 caddy eldo esc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 eldorado

Mine had a rip in it, I took needle & thread and sewed it. Probally will not last long but should get me through till I get my p420 code taken care of first. The wind noise was just driving me nuckin futs. I'll order a new gasket next. Thought this might help someone else in a similar situation money wise. I really hate not doing things the right way first but sometimes you got to do what you can get by with for now.

heavenbound1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 eldorado

I guess a lot of these have that air leakage in the window. mine is a 1996 Eldorado. I often have to lowere and raise the window from time to time to get the air noise to stop.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.