1993 Eldorado Touring - sail on, inconsistant and high idle and 8.5mpg
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1993 Eldorado Touring - sail on, inconsistant and high idle and 8.5mpg in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi there, The symptoms on my 93 ETC 275,000km are showing are that the car does this "sail-on" that i ...
    m00rb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Eldorado Touring Coupe

1993 Eldorado Touring - sail on, inconsistant and high idle and 8.5mpg

Hi there,

The symptoms on my 93 ETC 275,000km are showing are that the car does this "sail-on" that i saw described here (but not all of those symptoms): http://www.2carpros.com/questions/ca...o-surging-idle

It does the sail on, while I'm driving the car actually accelerates on it's own, up to 2000rpm, once in a while. It will last for about 5-10 minutes while I'm driving home from work randomly. Maybe once a week. In those times if I stop, the car is almost fighting me to be stopped and still idling very high. If I'm in park it will bounce the idle and sometimes hold at up to 2000 rpm which is insane to watch for minutes longer than I'm willing to watch it so I usually turn it off.

Also the mileage has dropped to about 8.5mpg. Now I do let the car sit and warm up for up to 5 minutes every time I drive it so I know I'm burning gas. You can also smell some gas when the car is running.

Here are the codes I get (Also when I start driving I always get 84-Service Ride Control starting when I needed to replace front sway bar end links). The AC Compressor off message will come up if the AC gets turned on as well.

Current:
    A047 .................................................. ...... Low Refrigerant Charge
    History:
    A049 ........................................... HVAC - Coolant Temperature Too High

T073 .......................... PCM - EBTCM/EBCM Pulse Width Modulation Signal Fault

S036 ...................... Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open
    S037 ............................ Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to B+
    S038 ................... Electronic Level Control Exhaust Valve Short to Ground/Open
    S044 .................................................. ... Lift or Dive Signal Fault
    S055 .......................................... Resistor Module Short to Ground/Open
    S063 .............................................. Right Rear Position Sensor Fault

I want to keep the car if I can get it back to normal cheaply as it is in quite good condition other than this new problem. It never got such great mileage for me, 12mpg at the most since I got it last year. I am the third owner and I've only replaced the air filter and done oil changes since I got it.

I was really hoping for just a pointing in the right direction. I don't have the FSM and will probably get a friend of mine to do the work but want to give him a starting point because he would be working on this type of car for the first time.

Thanks so much for any feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 1993 Eldorado Touring - sail on, inconsistant and high idle and 8.5mpg

None of those codes are related to what you describe. I'd concentrate on a vacuum leak or the ISC motor, but you might start with a good TB cleaning.

Ranger, thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it greatly. I will start with a TB cleaning ASAP and have it checked for vacuum leaks and the ISC motor.

I wanted to update this post because the throttle body cleaning worked out really great. The car has not done the "sail on" since I got that done. Cost me only $65.

I'm still getting poor fuel mileage and I can smell gas when the car is idling and I'm outside the car or the windows are down. It also sounds quite a bit more "throaty" when it starts up, more like a motorcycle with a straight pipe lol.

If you don't mind Ranger, what would you suggest to start out with on those symptoms?

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    If you can smell gas from the engine compartment I would inspect the fuel pressure regulator...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

If you smell gas there is obviously a leak somewhere. Check all the under hood fuel lines and fittings and then the FPR as Curtc suggested. If nothing found, then start checking the filler pipe and under car lines. Don't forget the EVAP system lines.

My problem has recently come back about 6 weeks from when the throttle body was cleaned. It was completely fine during that time until one hot day it started happening again.

I am now getting related codes and a check engine light:

P027 (E027) ............................................ Open throttle signal switch
    P030 (E030) .................................................. . ISC RPM out of range

From what I've read, replacing or cleaning the ISCM might do the trick.

I'm looking for an idea on how much labour I might be looking at to replace the ISCM? I have found the part online for $60.

I guess part 2 of my question would be, checking for vacuum leaks, is this something I can just walk into any shop and ask for? How much labour would be reasonable to expect for that?

You might try checking the open throttle switch and cleaning the contacts first.

As for changing the ISC motor, just look at it. It's pretty self explanatory.

Why go to a shop to have it checked for vacuum leaks. Get a can of Brakleen and spray any potential vacuum leak, Manifold mounting, hose connections etc, with the engine at idle. Listen for an RPM increase.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.