I wrecked my Eldorado. Is this the end? (PICS)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, I wrecked my Eldorado. Is this the end? (PICS) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was driving and had absolutely no stop light or sign when another car ran a stop sign causing me ...
    rducote is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ETC & 2000 Eldorado ESC

Unhappy I wrecked my Eldorado. Is this the end? (PICS)

I was driving and had absolutely no stop light or sign when another car ran a stop sign causing me to hit them on their passenger side. I was going about 35 when the wreck occurred. The driver and his passenger got out of his car for a few seconds, looked at me and my car, and drove off. The police and paramedics came, it was filed as a hit and run accident and I wasn't found to be at fault by the officer. However, I only had liability insurance, so any repairs will have to be paid for out of my own pocket. My insurance isn't covering a thing.

Is there any chance to save my Eldo? I can do a lot of the work on my own, but I can't weld. The car still starts and runs, but the radiator or a line near it is leaking coolant so it can't run long. The battery is also draining down for some reason. The key is incredibly hard to turn in the ignition and takes some maneuvering to get it to turn. The button under the shift is also depressed and won't release for some reason. My airbags also deployed and the passenger side airbag cracked my front windshield.

I love this car because it was my first car which I bought when I was a teenager and I would hate to get rid of it. Can it be saved or would that be a hopeless battle to fight?

Here's some pics...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: I wrecked my Eldorado. Is this the end? (PICS)

I do not see damages to the frame but minimum damage price (used parts):
    2x fenders ($120)
    1x bumper cover ($200)
    2x Fiberglass bumper ($80)
    2x bumper shocks ($40)
    1x Hood ($90)
    1x Grille ($30)
    2x Headlamps ($120)
    2x Airbag ($120)
    1 x Windshield (~$150+$150 install)
    1x Hood latch ($30)
    Oh wait now I see the whole front end shifter right ... that's getting more expensive in body work (must be pulled).
    1x Bracket for torque struts ($50).
    Add miscellaneous like temperature sensor, SIR sensor, the plastics behind the headlamps, probably one of the wheel well plastics. Not sure if the rad or A/C condenser is OK (looks like the car was driven after).
    You are at roughly $1100 in used parts so the most economical solution is to buy a donor vehicle (you can find one with busted engine for ~$750).
    But then you are looking at ~30h of bodywork (~$2000 minimum) and paint job another $900 (minimum).
    So basically the absolute minimum is $4000 (but probably we are looking at ~$5500 to $6000 depending on the body shop and the price you get the parts for).

bummer...

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

I am sorry to hear about this, and I am happy that you yourself are OK.

Everything is repairable. The main question is that is it worth the money and time or not? If in a close-by junk yard you can find a good donor Eldo, you might be able to pull all the parts you need from there. But to be honest with you, it seems that there are too much damage. You have body and paint damages, you have mechanical damage, you have some problem in your electrical system, and you have damage inside the cabin. Too much damage....

How is the condition of the engine and the transmission? Based on what I see, it seems that car wasn't in a perfect condition before the accident. I would say move on and buy another one. These days the price tags on Eldos and Sevilles are very low.

Bobanna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible

Sorry to hear about your wreck...hit and run...wow. The wonderful thing is that it sounds like you are not injured from the crash. It could have been a lot more serious. Thank your angels. Now, the Eldo may be toast at this point. The rebuild sounds difficult and expensive. Even if you did it for the estimated cost, wou would still have a car with a significant damage history...and things just keep coming up. My humble advice would be to part-out the wreck, sell the remainder for scrap, and go look for the besst 2000+ Eldo you can afford as a replacement. Again, I am sad to hear about your loss, but you're not in some hospital bed staring at the ceiling. Hang in there.
    bwv565 and bwv565 like this.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

That sucks big time. Glad it wasn't you that got hit and hurt.
    That's gonna be a difficult car to repair and have drive straight and not have problems with. That car has alot of damage you can't even see. Once taken apart your going to find things bent all over the car that will not be easy to repair.
    A standard rear end hit and it would be repairable maybe but those angle shots really twist the car. Personally I would find another of the same year with engine problems or needing a bunch of parts and make one good car from them and part off the rest of your car.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Dang. Popped airbags is usually death. That typically means XX amount of damage. Total time. How other car drove away is odd. Big old heavy caddy looked like it punched it pretty hard?

flacko93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy
    Dang. Popped airbags is usually death. That typically means XX amount of damage. Total time. How other car drove away is odd. Big old heavy caddy looked like it punched it pretty hard?
    I'm selling my dad's '97 eldo with 109k on it for $3600. Well maintained in nice shape. I have it listed on ebay or you can contact me at 765-532-5759. Thanks, Scott

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's a total.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

it's totaled - it will cost DOUBLE+ what it's worth to fix -

turbol15 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 eldo,2011 cts-v

Yep totaled

Bobanna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible

Obviously, there isn't a lot of good news about the car. You'll get over this, and I believe that you'll find something you like even better. No fun getting hit like this when you were doing everything right. Thanks for the detailed pics of your car: that was a good impact at 35 mph, and it looks like the car absorbed it to protect you. Did the airbags hurt when they blew? I'm not being morbid or insensitive to your trauma, but I am impressed by the protection of that Eldorado. Comment when you want to. Blessings.

2kflhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, '97 Eldorado ETC, '97 SS Camaro

Sorry to see the demise of yet another Eldorado. Growing up in the auto body business this vehicle likely has much hidden damage. With the front end jacked over to the right as it is you can bet the subframe is bent with much hidden damage that you won't see until you start taking it apart. My suggestion is to part it out and get some of your investment back and let it live on through other Eldorado's.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Sorry to hear about the crash. I'm glad to see you walked away. The caddy did its job and saved your life.
    That's about 6k in damage (easily) for a 2k-3k car. Pretty much the entire body in front of the firewall is toast, plus the interior air bag damage, plus whatever mechanical/ electrical is damaged in the engine bay.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Too bad, didn't the guy who nailed you have insurance,was there a police report showing he was in the wrong, what about suing the guy?, good luck.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    Too bad, didn't the guy who nailed you have insurance,was there a police report showing he was in the wrong, what about suing the guy?, good luck.
    Even if the hit and run driver was located and had insurance or was successfully sued, the insurance company/judgement wouldn't cover what it would cost to repair this specific vehicle (i.e., it would be totaled).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.