Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Shocks/struts: to wait or not to wait

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  eyewonder 
#1 ·
So i have some brand new Monroe 40018 CVRSS shocks sitting in my house unboxed, i'm contemplating whether to wait until i can purchase the front CVRSS struts or just go ahead and install these since i'll be in their replacing the calipers, Rotors and pads on all 4 wheels anyways.

Or

Or should i replace all bushings once i get the struts, then do the brakes.. confuzzled, lol

#3 ·
-------------------------
how bad does it need the brakes?
Ive a shaky steering wheel when i brake..

]you are going to need an alignment with the struts -
and you are going to need an alignment after replacing the rear bushings -
Ok, just figured i want as much new parts installed at the same time as my wallet will allow, if i play my cards right in the next few months, i can have all things replaced in the course of a few days, shocks, struts, bushings, calipers, rotors, pads etc

#6 ·
If you don't mind jacking the car up again, just install the back ones when you have some free time. It will only take about an hour to do both and you don't have to mess with anything other than the bolts holding them on. This is assuming that you are doing them yourself. If you bring your car somewhere, then I would have it all done at once to save on some labor.

#7 ·
K, question. I have my front strut (Front right 40016) and i'll be getting my 40017 (front left) this week. I'd really like to replace or service any other suspension components as much as possible, i don't want to slap on $350-$400 struts/shocks only to have a bushing or tie rod fail..

If the bushings appear cracked or worn should i replace them? How hard is it to do so myself?

#9 ·
With my BMW I replaced all 4 shocks/struts and tie rods at the same time to save cost and have just one alignment done. If the bushings are cracked they are worn and will need replacement sooner than later. What I don't know is how hard the bushings are to replace yourself. On that BMW I had to have special tools rented to have them replaced so that might be the case here.

#12 ·
Vincent,

When I did my HG repair (Saga of a Naive Head Gasket Repair) I also put a bunch of suspension parts in: brake pads, rotors turned, bearing packs for front, Monroe CVRSS struts + Monroe mounting kits for both.

With approx 6K miles on the rebuild, I did a trip to Las Vegas (from Kansas) in January. The interstate I took on the way back was HORRIBLE! The signs said 'Rough road next 75 miles' and they weren't lying. It was soo bad that it destroyed the passenger side strut mounting kit, breaking loose the rubber, allowing the strut piston to smack the underside of the hood every time I went over any kind of bump/concrete joint in the road. I could see the hood jumping up near the windshield. I took it easy and made it to Denver, where I had a dealer put in a new mounting kit. And now, with the benefit of hindsight, I SHOULD have had them replace both - as the driver side went out on me two months ago.

That has been my experience with the Monroe strut mount kits. YMMV

Cheers,
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.