Shocks/struts: to wait or not to wait
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vincentm
  • 2 Post By vincentm
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Shocks/struts: to wait or not to wait in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So i have some brand new Monroe 40018 CVRSS shocks sitting in my house unboxed, i'm contemplating whether to wait ...
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Shocks/struts: to wait or not to wait

So i have some brand new Monroe 40018 CVRSS shocks sitting in my house unboxed, i'm contemplating whether to wait until i can purchase the front CVRSS struts or just go ahead and install these since i'll be in their replacing the calipers, Rotors and pads on all 4 wheels anyways.

Or

Or should i replace all bushings once i get the struts, then do the brakes.. confuzzled, lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Shocks/struts: to wait or not to wait

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    So i have some brand new Monroe 40018 CVRSS shocks sitting in my house unboxed, i'm contemplating whether to wait until i can purchase the front CVRSS struts or just go ahead and install these since i'll be in their replacing the calipers, Rotors and pads on all 4 wheels anyways.

Or

Or should i replace all bushings once i get the struts, then do the brakes.. confuzzled, lol
    -------------------------
    how bad does it need the brakes?

you are going to need an alignment with the struts -
    and you are going to need an alignment after replacing the rear bushings -

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------
    how bad does it need the brakes?
    Ive a shaky steering wheel when i brake..

]you are going to need an alignment with the struts -
    and you are going to need an alignment after replacing the rear bushings -
    Ok, just figured i want as much new parts installed at the same time as my wallet will allow, if i play my cards right in the next few months, i can have all things replaced in the course of a few days, shocks, struts, bushings, calipers, rotors, pads etc
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

Sounds like you have the right plan.
    I'm curious, what are your plans for bushings?
    Thanks,
    Taz

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    Sounds like you have the right plan.
    I'm curious, what are your plans for bushings?
    Thanks,
    Taz
    I want my ride as factory new smooth as i can get. So if i can score rubber bushings rather than polyurethane i will. Both have their trade offs, so we'll see.
    bwv565 and bwv565 like this.

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

If you don't mind jacking the car up again, just install the back ones when you have some free time. It will only take about an hour to do both and you don't have to mess with anything other than the bolts holding them on. This is assuming that you are doing them yourself. If you bring your car somewhere, then I would have it all done at once to save on some labor.

K, question. I have my front strut (Front right 40016) and i'll be getting my 40017 (front left) this week. I'd really like to replace or service any other suspension components as much as possible, i don't want to slap on $350-$400 struts/shocks only to have a bushing or tie rod fail..

If the bushings appear cracked or worn should i replace them? How hard is it to do so myself?

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

K, question. I have my front strut (Front right 40016) and i'll be getting my 40017 (front left) this week. I'd really like to replace or service any other suspension components as much as possible, i don't want to slap on $350-$400 struts/shocks only to have a bushing or tie rod fail..

If the bushings appear cracked or worn should i replace them? How hard is it to do so myself?
    You have 2 40018's for the rear? Shouldn't there be an odd numbered part for the opposite side like there is for the front?

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

With my BMW I replaced all 4 shocks/struts and tie rods at the same time to save cost and have just one alignment done. If the bushings are cracked they are worn and will need replacement sooner than later. What I don't know is how hard the bushings are to replace yourself. On that BMW I had to have special tools rented to have them replaced so that might be the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    You have 2 40018's for the rear? Shouldn't there be an odd numbered part for the opposite side like there is for the front?
    Nope the rears, like the AC Delcos are the same part#

Ok, going to place an order today for the final strut (monroe 40017). Should i order new strut mount kits also?

eyewonder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, 170K Miles

Ok, going to place an order today for the final strut (monroe 40017). Should i order new strut mount kits also?
    Vincent,

When I did my HG repair (Saga of a Naive Head Gasket Repair) I also put a bunch of suspension parts in: brake pads, rotors turned, bearing packs for front, Monroe CVRSS struts + Monroe mounting kits for both.

With approx 6K miles on the rebuild, I did a trip to Las Vegas (from Kansas) in January. The interstate I took on the way back was HORRIBLE! The signs said 'Rough road next 75 miles' and they weren't lying. It was soo bad that it destroyed the passenger side strut mounting kit, breaking loose the rubber, allowing the strut piston to smack the underside of the hood every time I went over any kind of bump/concrete joint in the road. I could see the hood jumping up near the windshield. I took it easy and made it to Denver, where I had a dealer put in a new mounting kit. And now, with the benefit of hindsight, I SHOULD have had them replace both - as the driver side went out on me two months ago.

That has been my experience with the Monroe strut mount kits. YMMV

Cheers,
    Steve

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.