Compass mirror - 2003 Seville wiring details
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Compass mirror - 2003 Seville wiring details in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hey guys this is my first post here. i just pulled the rear veiw mirror out of a 2003 seville ...
    matthew13sanderson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Compass mirror - 2003 Seville wiring details

hey guys this is my first post here. i just pulled the rear veiw mirror out of a 2003 seville sts today. main reason i want it is to use the compass, but any direction or info on how i could get all the features working would be great. from the reading ive done so far, im lead to beleive that the box that i have attached to it is the compass. it has a white, yellow, black, orange and green wire going into it, then back into the mirror. it had another box somewhat attached to it, and i typed the number that was on it, into google and found out it was some sort of wiper sensor, which i have no interest in using so i took it off. and im pretty sure the little circle peice is for the onstar system becuase of the fact it says to wire to speakers on it.

basically what i want to know is if im correct about what ive said so far, and how i would go about wiring the compass up so it works. im also curious about the tempature sensor and it its built into the mirror, or if i have to go back to the same car and get the sensor out of it. any help, advice or pictures on the subject would be great!

all the wires that clip into the back of the mirror

this is what i think is the compass. all the wires go from the back of the mirror to this

inside of "the compass"

pretty sure this is for the onstar

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

If the mirror is from an '03, the mirror should be all 1 piece, other than the RainSense sensor. The compass is part of the mirror, there is nothing external.

The ambient temp sensor is attached to the hood latch assembly, but the mirror does not display the temperature.

There are after market compass mirrors available. You wouldn't have to deal with the extra wires and buttons, and some have map lights.

Edit: Now that I see the pictures, that does look like it's from an '01-'03, so that's the wiring diagram you'll need. Yes, the round thing is the OnStar mic.

You don't have to do any wiring for the compass to work, other than supply power to the mirror.

scott f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS/ 1994 STS

Re: compass mirror.

alright thanks for the help so far! so the compass is already in the mirror ready to go, which set of wires would be the power & ground? also, if the compass components are in the mirror, what is the black box that i though was the compass?

another thing, when i look at the digital part of the mirror in the right light, it looks to me like it says F and C with the degrees symbol beside it.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by matthew13sanderson View Post
    ....another thing, when i look at the digital part of the mirror in the right light, it looks to me like it says F and C with the degrees symbol beside it.
    The mirror has display capabilities that GM/Cadillac did not use. For example, the compass can be displayed as a conventional 3 digit "heading" figure instead of the GM default of one of 8 heading approximations (N, NE, E, etc).

If you can identify the manufacturer of the mirror, they might be willing to share internal specifications and external wiring requirements. But don't count on it!

with a little more research i found ground and the 12v source. i hooked them up to a battery and the compass works! the mirror dimmer would also work so im assuming that it is one of the options that is in the mirror itself too?

im still curious about the black box though.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If the squarish black box was separate but next to the mirror - and attached to the windshield by clear adhesive - it's the RainSense windshield wiper sensor module. Maybe all the wiring bundles into/through the mirror umbilical.

JimD, Is there a magic button push sequence that will display heading in digits vs. the useless cardinal compass points ?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    JimD, Is there a magic button push sequence that will display heading in digits vs. the useless cardinal compass points ?
    Not that I know about but I did not pursue the issue since a useful heading display would have confused the 'other' driver.

You can see more of the display options if you focus on the mirror during the KEY ON power up test sequence.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Compass mirror - 2003 Seville wiring details

Heading would be cool.

eldorado_97 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, W/Nav

oh great now you guys got me all curious lol we should figure that out

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

Here are the schematics, location view, calibration procedure, and connector pin out for the 2003 Seville inside rear view mirror. These are from the 2003 Cadillac Seville Factory Service Manual (FSM):

http://www.gyan.com/cadillacforums/2...dOperation.pdf
    http://www.gyan.com/cadillacforums/2...orLocation.pdf
    http://www.gyan.com/cadillacforums/2...Schematic1.pdf
    http://www.gyan.com/cadillacforums/2...rrorWiring.pdf
    http://www.gyan.com/cadillacforums/2...alibration.pdf

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This thread will be copied as a sticky in Cadillac Tech Tips. Thanks to all for the research.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.