Cabin Filter Change Suggestions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Cabin Filter Change Suggestions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just replaced my cabin filter in my 2002 Seville STS. I've read the other posts and this job is ...
    blancaclaudia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS w/ F55

Cabin Filter Change Suggestions

I just replaced my cabin filter in my 2002 Seville STS. I've read the other posts and this job is no picnic but I have some suggestions.

1) Remove the new filters from the package and note that that don't slide together that easily even when new. Obviously, after being in your car for many years (10 years in my case) they probably won't slide at all. You are supposed to be able to pull on the bottom tab sliding the bottom filter out and then the second filter drops down and you pull that one out and the third filter drops down and you remove it. The reality is that probably the plastic has welded together and nothing will slide. No shortcuts; just get them out however.

2) Now we can make some improvements. The factory service manual suggests using silicon spray on the new filters to aid installation. Instead, use silicon paste or grease. The filters will slide together MUCH easier than with the spray and because Silicon grease never deteriorates, the next time the cabin filter is changed each section WILL slide out just like the factory manual says it should.

Brian Bray

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Cabin Filter Change Suggestions

They do stink don't they...brilliant design. I use white grease on them too and shave any areas that are sticking. I had to literally take one out in pieces with needle nose pliers because it warped... that wasn't fun let me tell you. The first one I did had 75k on it and it was so incredibly filthy it wasn't even funny. Need to insert a step... Step 1 Drink beer
    Amir A likes this.

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

What a pain in the butt these things are. I never look forward to replacing these. The last time I replaced these, the neighborhood kids learned some new words. I used some light machine oil on the segments and it helped. Next time, I'll try some light grease.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Best suggestion: Why even use a cabin air filter ??? Do you never open a window ??? Remove the filter, snap the cover back in place and have a scotch & water. I took mine out in 2006 and never regretted it.

EDIT: If you park outside, under trees or bushes, then maybe a filter is a good idea, but if the plastic outer grille screen is intact and you clean out any leaves/twigs, that should not be a problem either.
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

I too never reinstalled the filter in my car -

I would be afraid that any type of grease or oil would attract additional dirt
    and make future extraction even more difficult -

silicone spray - or a dry-lube might be a better choice -

blancaclaudia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS w/ F55

Thanks to everyone who commented:

To those who advocate not replacing the filter..remember how much dirt was in the old filter when you removed it? if you don't replace the filter, then you get that dirt inside your car and/or you get to breathe it. Do you really want to do that? If you are willing to do that to save changing the filter, I guess that's your choice.

To the poster who suggested riding around with the windows down, there is more pollution and dirt and more noise than there was years ago no matter where you live. Perhaps you want to own a Seville and ride around with the windows down, but to me one of the advantages of a luxury car is the isolation, quiet and comfort.

Finally, even after sanding and smoothing the surfaces of the filters (a great idea that I wish I had done!), compare how much easier they'll slide with silicon grease than either silicon spray or dry lube. If nothing else, the new filter installation will be much easier!

Think about which lubricant lasts longer on your sliding door on your house; it's silicon grease. All the lubricants mentioned do attract some dirt as you said, but if the lubricant disappears, then you'll have only the dirt left and that may make future filter removal more difficult. Silicon grease definitely lasts longer, usually forever; that's why I suggested silcon grease over the other lubricants.

Silicon grease is more expensive than the other lubricants mentioned; but remember the struggle you had to remove the old stuck together filters. Is the extra cost worth it? It is to me but it may not be for you. We all have choices.

Brian Bray
    rodnok01 and rodnok01 like this.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

To those who advocate not replacing the filter..remember how much dirt was in the old filter when you removed it? if you don't replace the filter, then you get that dirt inside your car and/or you get to breathe it. Do you really want to do that? If you are willing to do that to save changing the filter, I guess that's your choice.
    How do you filter the air you breath when you get out of the car?
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

if having a filter installed - and having it all greased up
    gives you that warm-n-fuzzy feeling -
    by all means - grease that bad-boy up -
    and change it a couple times a year -

and like Ranger asked -
    do you hold your breath between the car and house?
    or maybe you wear a mask?
    or maybe it just isn't all that important?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    He has a Fram filter just before his lungs i think...
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger

A car isn't air tight anyway. It's full of this "dirty" air when you get in it, only the air coming through the vents is filtered. A flow through ventilation system isn't going to purge all the pollutants out, it all just gets mixed.

I really think the biggest advantage of having the filter installed -
    is that it keeps the fan cage cleaner than without a filter -

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    And that's the only reason I replaced mine.

Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    A car isn't air tight anyway. It's full of this "dirty" air when you get in it, only the air coming through the vents is filtered. A flow through ventilation system isn't going to purge all the pollutants out, it all just gets mixed.
    I have a 72 Riviera with "flow thru" ventilation, such a good idea that Buick nixed it after onnly 2 yrs.... (Tho the flow thru decklid from a 71 DOES LOOK cool)

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You might look down under the carpet/trunk liner in the rear part of the rear fenderwells - most of these cars have "flow through" ventilation - there's a one-way flapper valve down in each rear fenderwell. When you turn the HVAC OFF it will continue to allow air through the cabin and that air is still heated to your last control setting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.