Plug wires - too obsessive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Plug wires - too obsessive in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have the original plug wires on the '99 STS. That means they are 13 years old now. Plugs were ...
    EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Plug wires - too obsessive

I have the original plug wires on the '99 STS. That means they are 13 years old now. Plugs were replaced at 85k. Would you replace plugs wires based on age? I'm not noticing a miss or anything, just think it might restore a little efficiency that might be lost over time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Plug wires - too obsessive

plugs and wires should have been done at 100,000 miles

so you replaced the plugs a bit early and are late on the wires

i would replace them just out of concern for their age on top of the over-mileage issue
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Thanks Chris. I usually compare OEM scheduled maintenance with Captain Barbossa's description of the Pirates Code, more like guidelines.
    Some plug wire manufacturers offer lifetime warranties. If that were true, there would be no replacement interval.

I usually try to heed my cars' symptoms before I act, but some things sneak up on you.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    They say

L7SQ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado ETC

Get them from rockauto.com, I got my AC/Delco plugs and wires for ~$100

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

There's two sets of ACDelco wires ... the cheaper set is made to compete with the aftermarket brands and isn't quite as good as the OEM set but i'd say they're still much better than other aftermarket wire sets

the one visible difference that the OEM wire set has is that the wires are numbered (i don't think the cheaper set has the numbering)
    there are possibly other differences like materials used and quality control
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.