Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Advice for a new Seville owner? MAF and TCC problems...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  basscatt 
#1 ·
hey folks,

first-time cadillac owner here. i just purchased a 2001 seville sts with 78k miles on her, gave 4k for it. love the styling, the interior is flawless, and the ride is (for the most part) exceptional. it does, however, have a few key issues i was hoping to get some experienced advice regarding. many thanks in advance for any help/opinions y'all can offer me...

after a spin on the diagnostic, i've got four codes:

PO171B- bank 1 system too lean
PO174B- bank 2 system too lean
PO101B- mass air flow sensor performance
PO741B- torque converter clutch system stuck off

the only noticeable performance issues are an occasional rough idle, and when i'm idling for more than a couple minutes, the temperature will rise a couple "ticks" past twelve o'clock, then return to normal once i get moving again.

now, from what i understand, the first three codes are related. may be a vacuum leak, most likely a faulty plenum, which seems like a minor repair. the last one, however, has me a little concerned.

in researching the torque converter issue, the consensus seems to be that the cost of the repair far outstrips the benefit. i don't really demand a lot in terms of performance out of this car, so if it means sacrificing overdrive to avoid many many hundreds in billable labor hours, i'm fine with that. if it means sacrificing the transmission, however, i am not. what do you fine folks think?

i DO have a 30-day, 1000 mile warranty, but it only covers "internal, lubricated parts" on the engine, trans, and differential. would any of these repairs fall into such a category?

seriously, though, on the whole, this is an excellent car. i'm just not trying to go broke behind it. thanks again for any help y'all might be able to offer me.

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome:

deathbyknoxville said:
the only noticeable performance issues are an occasional rough idle, and when i'm idling for more than a couple minutes, the temperature will rise a couple "ticks" past twelve o'clock, then return to normal once i get moving again.
The rough idle is normal with your vacuum leak, and yes, it's most likely a torn plenum.

The temp needle moving a couple of "tics" is normal, a couple of LINES on the gauge, is not.

in researching the torque converter issue, the consensus seems to be that the cost of the repair far outstrips the benefit. i don't really demand a lot in terms of performance out of this car, so if it means sacrificing overdrive to avoid many many hundreds in billable labor hours, i'm fine with that. if it means sacrificing the transmission, however, i am not. what do you fine folks think?
P0741, by itself, indicates a faulty seal inside the torque converter. The only fix is replacement.

The problem won't effect performance, and has nothing to do with overdrive (4th gear). The engine will turn ~300 RPM faster at steady cruising speeds above 43 MPH, and you'll lose 1-2 MPG. That's it. You won't hurt anything driving it as is.

i DO have a 30-day, 1000 mile warranty, but it only covers "internal, lubricated parts" on the engine, trans, and differential. would any of these repairs fall into such a category?
Well, the torque converter is certainly internal, and certainly lubricated.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.