Low oil causing ses light to flash and run like crap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Low oil causing ses light to flash and run like crap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    one bad sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS 1991 Seville 1992 Coupe Deville

Angry Low oil causing ses light to flash and run like crap

Okay my educated cadillac friends i have been having some issues with my 2003 seville sts long story short the ses light has been flashing pulling a po300 code random misfire,done some things eveyone has recomeded i have done since :coil pack,plugs fuel filter,mass air flow censor,serpentine belt…ran out of options now the cadillac dealer is saying it was low on oil(i changed 1400 miles ago ) an added a qaurt saying i only had 2 qaurts of oil when he drained it please someone make sense of this ???thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Re: Low oil causing ses light to flash and run like crap

It takes about 7 quarts, so if you had only 2 quarts left, then you would have been 5 quarts low. If you lost 5 quarts of oil in 1400 miles, then there must've been puddles under the car or a huge amount of smoke coming from the exhaust.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Low oil has nothing to do with a misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by one bad sts
    the ses light has been flashing pulling a po300 code random misfire
    The flashing SES light indicates a severe misfire. Do you have any other codes?

done some things eveyone has recomeded i have done since :coil pack,plugs fuel filter,mass air flow censor,serpentine belt…
    Were these parts bad, or are you just throwing money at it? What kind of plugs were installed?

ran out of options now the cadillac dealer is saying it was low on oil(i changed 1400 miles ago ) an added a qaurt saying i only had 2 qaurts of oil when he drained it
    Wait, WHAT???

The dealer added 1 quart of oil to an engine that they drained 2 quarts out of? That leaves you 6.5 quarts low.....?

How did the engine end up with only 2 quarts left in the first place? Don't you check it? Didn't you get a check oil level message?

one bad sts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS 1991 Seville 1992 Coupe Deville

I checked it less then 2 weeks ago i put 7.5 in it 1400 miles ago and added one full quart no one drop of oil,most of the parts replaced were still cover under the warranty i have left, the plugs were replaced with factory gm plugs...the dealer was changing the oil because they said nothing was on the stick when they were draining it is when they only saw 2 quarts come out?? And i have never got the message besides once when i fisrt bought it 2 1/2 years ago never since then. I alsways check fluids

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by 98cadillac View Post
    It takes about 7 quarts, so if you had only 2 quarts left, then you would have been 5 quarts low. If you lost 5 quarts of oil in 1400 miles, then there must've been puddles under the car or a huge amount of smoke coming from the exhaust.
    Did this ever get answered by the OP? Oil fouled plugs could cause a misfire. Did the dealer say anything when they were replaced? This story is hard to follow.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    This story is hard to follow.
    You could say that again.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

P0300 is a generic misfire code -
    our on-board code readers will not display WHICH cylinder/cylinders is/are misfiring -
    only that there IS a misfire -

take the car to any large auto parts store - they will check your codes for free -

P0301 is a misfire in cylinder #1 - P0302 is cylinder #2 - P0303 is #3 - etc -

once you discover WHICH cylinder is misfiring - diagnosis becomes much easier -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by one bad sts View Post
    the dealer was changing the oil because they said nothing was on the stick when they were draining it is when they only saw 2 quarts come out??
    Numbers just don't match up. I'd bet that "2 qts" is someones exaggerated guess.

And i have never got the message besides once when i fisrt bought it 2 1/2 years ago never since then. I alsways check fluids
    And this pretty much proves it.

P.S.
    Low oil level will not cause it to "run like crap" or have any affect on how it runs at all.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Plugs, fuel filter, serpentine belt and oil change normal maintenance no harm done. Coil pack and mass air flow sensor another story.

Flashing ses light dont drive car.

As basscatt advised get codes.

Runs like crap very vague. Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.