1996 Eldorado radio change?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1996 Eldorado radio change? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, new to the forum and new to a cadillac. I just got a nice 96 Eldorado thats in phenomenal ...
    Lube is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

1996 Eldorado radio change?

Hello, new to the forum and new to a cadillac. I just got a nice 96 Eldorado thats in phenomenal condition! I'm 16, so I'm not too car savvy (Yet) Haha.

So I was wondering how I would go about changing the stock radio to something nice from like walmart or someplace. You know with a CD player and such, I think you know what I'm gettin' at , the ones you just put on? And the speakers also since those aren't too bass heavy and I'd like some pioneers to put in.

Is there any basic step by step tutorials or could someone give me a little tour on doing this? Thanks in advance!

Also a little nervous about smog, hoping it passes. Registration expired yesterday so I am hoping it'll go well Shouldn't be a problem though. The brake light is on apparently and the A/C needs coolant. Those are the only problems I heard from my father mechanic. He said brake light shouldn't be too much of a biggie might just need fluid? And the A/c I'm not too worried about.

So yeah, advice on smog and a tutorial on radio/speaker change would be nice, thanks a bunch!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

As far as the radio goes, you can't just throw one in. Your original head unit is part of the anti theft system and serial data bus. You will NEED to buy the correct integration module.

Want to change the speakers? First, you need to know if you have a Bose System. If you do, changing speakers or adding an amplifier means rewiring the entire audio system, and starting from scratch.

Question: Why do you want to change the head unit? (And FWIW, you're not going to find anything "nice" at Wal-Mart). Do you really listen to CDs? It's pretty easy to add an AUX input (for an MP3 player) to the stock HU. Or, if you don't want to get into wiring, a mobile audio shop can install one for you. Or, you can buy a cassette adapter for ~$15.

You've got yourself a very complicated car for a starter. Things you (and your father) need to do:

-Read your owners manual, front to back, at least twice.

-Go to the black tab at the top of this page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info.

-Go to the top of the Eldorado/Seville page, and read all of the "sticky" threads, especially the one on how to pull DTCs. You should also read the sticky's in the Northstar forums.

Also, before you ask. There is essentially NO after market support for these cars. NO exhausts, NO intakes, NO "chips", NOTHING that will add power. And if you see something advertised to increase power and/or economy, it's a scam. Brakes and tires, that's about it.

Is your car an ESC, or ETC?

Re: 1996 Eldorado radio change?

Thanks for the input!

I just knew our 97 Jeep Cherokee has a upgraded radio / speakers, so I figured it wouldnt be a too complicated process. Obviously I was wrong lol!

Well I'll go check it out in the morning and get back to you. I believe its an ETC. I just found a Casette Player for $3 at walmart, a philips. I could also add a AUX input if its not too hard (My father probably would know how).

Yeah I'm definitely not looking for power. Made for cruisin'! Haha.

I'll definitely read up on those, thanks!

Is there a certain casette deck I should buy? I was looking at this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-Ca...dapter/9917088

Thanks for making this all a lot less complicated then it needs to be

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Lube View Post
    Hello, new to the forum and new to a cadillac. I just got a nice 96 Eldorado thats in phenomenal condition! I'm 16, so I'm not too car savvy (Yet) Haha.

So I was wondering how I would go about changing the stock radio to something nice from like walmart or someplace. You know with a CD player and such, I think you know what I'm gettin' at , the ones you just put on? And the speakers also since those aren't too bass heavy and I'd like some pioneers to put in.

Is there any basic step by step tutorials or could someone give me a little tour on doing this? Thanks in advance!

Also a little nervous about smog, hoping it passes. Registration expired yesterday so I am hoping it'll go well Shouldn't be a problem though. The brake light is on apparently and the A/C needs coolant. Those are the only problems I heard from my father mechanic. He said brake light shouldn't be too much of a biggie might just need fluid? And the A/c I'm not too worried about.

So yeah, advice on smog and a tutorial on radio/speaker change would be nice, thanks a bunch!
    -------------------------
    here is an option to consider -

rather than an aftermarket radio -

the Eldorado had an optional 12 disc CD changer
    that was mounted in the trunk -

the wiring harness is already there -
    so it would be a simple plug-n-play install -

here is a link to one on ebay -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Pontiac...0d5905&vxp=mtr

I hope you have a lot of extra money -
    Cadillacs are NOT cheap to own or drive -
    start a "REPAIR FUND" NOW - you're gonna need it -

Thanks for your input I'll check it out!

Also before I forget I have another question! I just ordered a #2 key yesterday it should be here monday (Seeing as mine is number 2 and not functional, i ordered the exact one) Its old cracked and used so I didnt expect it to work even with a new battery
    But, the security light in blinking and this causes me worries because does it have a failing alarm system or something? Just would like a little explanation on that, thanks!!

Here's the info on adding an AUX input:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ra-direct.html

As posted, you can also buy an after market kit, which will leave you with a wire to plug into yourP3 player. Both options will give the best sound quality. The cassette adapter is cheapest and easiest, but will have slightly lower sound quality. The best I've found is the Phillips adapter sold at CVS, not sure of the model number.

ETC - Eldorado Touring Coupe.

25 more HP (300), and a quicker final drive ratio (3.71 vs 3.11) than the ESC. Also, stiffer coil springs, thicker sway bars, and active suspension (CVRSS). Each shock/strut is $500+ to replace. One of many reasons to start a Cadillac fund, as basscatt suggested.

How many miles on the car? Any service records?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lube
    Thanks for your input I'll check it out!

Also before I forget I have another question! I just ordered a #2 key yesterday it should be here monday (Seeing as mine is number 2 and not functional, i ordered the exact one) Its old cracked and used so I didnt expect it to work even with a new battery
    But, the security light in blinking and this causes me worries because does it have a failing alarm system or something? Just would like a little explanation on that, thanks!!
    Both #1 and #2 FOBS are identical. The only difference is the number on the plastic, so you can tell them apart. The numbers correspond to your driver memory system. You can save seat, steering wheel, and mirror position, as well as stereo and climate control settings for 2 drivers. The settings can be recalled with the door buttons, but are also recalled when the car is unlocked with the corresponding fob.

Again, owners manual.

The manual will also tell you when the SECURITY light should be on, off, and blinking.

Codes will tell you what, if anything, is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Here's the info on adding an AUX input:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ra-direct.html

As posted, you can also buy an after market kit, which will leave you with a wire to plug into yourP3 player. Both options will give the best sound quality. The cassette adapter is cheapest and easiest, but will have slightly lower sound quality. The best I've found is the Phillips adapter sold at CVS, not sure of the model number.

ETC - Eldorado Touring Coupe.

25 more HP (300), and a quicker final drive ratio (3.71 vs 3.11) than the ESC. Also, stiffer coil springs, thicker sway bars, and active suspension (CVRSS). Each shock/strut is $500+ to replace. One of many reasons to start a Cadillac fund, as basscatt suggested.

How many miles on the car? Any service records?

----------

Both #1 and #2 FOBS are identical. The only difference is the number on the plastic, so you can tell them apart. The numbers correspond to your driver memory system. You can save seat, steering wheel, and mirror position, as well as stereo and climate control settings for 2 drivers. The settings can be recalled with the door buttons, but are also recalled when the car is unlocked with the corresponding fob.

Again, owners manual.

The manual will also tell you when the SECURITY light should be on, off, and blinking.

Codes will tell you what, if anything, is wrong.
    I think I'll go with the casette adapter just to save money for now

Yeah I have a little fund going, it will increase lol.

180,000 miles which is a nerve breaker, my fathers mechanic tested everything and nothing seems wrong aside what I posted earlier. It also had a new transmission put in not too long ago.
    I'll look in the manual about that light. Thanks a bunch!

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    i know walmart sells cheap china crap but i did not know they sold $3 headunits? your car came with a cassette player. why put in a different one? Does this car have BOSE?

Not a "cassette deck", a cassette adapter.

As far as cassette adapters go, I think ill go with this, great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iCarPl.../dp/B002DW92IE

The speakers I am not sure I still have not looked. Gave my car a clean wash today and going to smog/register tomorrow.
    Definitely confirmed its an ETC though
    The quality and bass on them is amazing though which makes me think they are bose.
    Also where can I get new buttons for the bass and treble? They are cracked, the treble already broke off lol..

The Monster cassette adapter sounds like mud. Honestly, save your money.

Does your radio say BOSE on it?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The Monster cassette adapter sounds like mud. Honestly, save your money.

Does your radio say BOSE on it?
    I believe so yes, I will check tomorrow after smog/registration is done.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

u want aux input. you should buy an aux input adapter and leave hu alone. there are a few available but most do not work well with gm bose stuff. tearing out a hu is a big mess just to add an aux input. but its your car. you can always change it back. dont cut too many wires though. go to junkyard first and practice removing stock hu on a car heading to the shredder. its already dead and you dont want to damage your car.

Well I believe its a BOSE, I keep forgetting to check haha. My dad just took the car to our mechanic for a diagnostic because it failed smog due to high emissions.

I just got my #2 Key today, and I'm having trouble programming it. After a bit on the final part on FOB #2, it goes from 99 to 0, but the FOB does not program.
    Something I'm missing? Thanks!

L7SQ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado ETC

Aftermarket audio is kind of an all or nothing deal. If you want to switch your speakers, you're going to have to replace your headunit. If you replace your headunit, you have to change your speakers too and you'll need to get an interface adapter that bypasses the radio from the anti-theft loop.

Even after bargain hunting and using a wholesale friend, I'm still $1300 deep in audio equipment:

$600 sony nav headunit
    $100 infinty kappa 6x9s
    $120 infinity 6.5 component set
    $120 pioneer 12" competition sub
    $200 pioneer d-class 4 ch amp
    $150 used kicker zx1000.1 amp

not to mention another $1100 in support:

$300 upgraded alternator to 225 amps
    $225 odyssey battery
    $200 viper 2-way alarm w/ remote start
    $400 installation (on the cheap side)

So, kiss your $150 radio from Walmart dream goodbye and be very quiet and enjoy the dynamic sound of your Bose system - no higher than 3 or else it will distort and sound like crap.

You may be able to get a decent cheap setup going - just headunit, coaxial speakers, and interface - no subs, amps, or alarms - for $500 installed

Like everyone else has said, these cars are not cheap to own, fuel, repair, pass smog, add radios to, maintenance or retain air-ride, but they are beautiful when loved and cared for and a subtle beast on the highway. You should get a factory service manual (FSM) and learn how to fix the easier repairs, it will save you $$$... as soon as mechanics see, hear, or smell Cadillac, they hide the Vaseline.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.