To fix or not?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, To fix or not? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 122 (3).jpg 125 (3).jpg Back in July I picked the wrong Cadillac, a 1992 Canyon Yellow w Pearl Cadillac STS ...
    Crudsturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville

To fix or not?

122 (3).jpg
    125 (3).jpg

Back in July I picked the wrong Cadillac, a 1992 Canyon Yellow w Pearl Cadillac STS with that peanut butter colored interior. Beautiful car it really is but when I saw it and looked it over I had decided against buying it. Unfortunately my wife was talking to the lady and pretty much closing the deal(she thought me looking over the car so well was because I liked it lol). Well after doing plugs, wires, distributor, o2 sensors, ECM, upgraded injectors, new fuel rail harness, distributor harness, the car still had this weird miss. No biggie I just drove it gas mileage was normal 15/24 and it drove like a dream.

Had some concerns from day one about head gasket but hey its the ironhorse 4.9, well from July to December it never got over 185 degrees and has had minor issues although one very random one drives me insane. Well I have now confirmed the head gasket is bad, and to boot the transmission is bad, has the loud clunking sound if you rev it up to 3k rpm and when it idles back down it makes the sound. Read here that its the sprag. And when I first start the car up every evening at work it won't move forward in drive unless I rev it up in nuetral a little bit first. Never in the morning or any other time just at work which is very odd.

The question is should I keep or sell it? I can do the head gaskets in a day if I decide not to take the heads to the machine shop, I could swap motor and tranny in a weekend with ease. The labor for me is free it's my time. Head Gasket Set and oil/filter, coolant runs me about $200.00 or less I have a commercial account. But finding a transmission will end up costing me about 400-500. Then I would still need filter, pan gasket, fluid and seals. Maybe another 100 bucks there or less.

Another option and I know it sounds bad but I have been scammed more than my share of times is to throw some head gasket sealant in there and sell her like she is. Really pretty car people ask to buy it all the time. And since its leraking exhaust in the coolant I am skeptic that crap would even work.

Other option is to post it on craigslist with bad head gasket and see if I get any hits. I just cant lose my ass on this car I payed 2k plus all the work and 2 brand new 20 inch tires that cost me 381.00. And please honest opinions no need to try and not hurt my feelings after all it is just a car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: To fix or not?

Sounds like you really like the car and can do the work yourself, so I would do it.

The Gold is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 El Dorado

I agree. But you did not post the mileage.
    Anyway, happy-wife, Happy-Life !!

You are fortunate to have the skills to do the work yourself. You are into it around under $3K after you repair it all yourself. Can you buy a nicer car of any other brand for that much?
    So look at the perspective of short and long term cost to use benefit considering any 'next shoe to drop' scenario.

Me on the other hand, would opt to take a cross country trip until she burned, then junk it.
    Because I would have to submit myself to $$ mechanics $$.... (caveat- generalized sentiment- I know many on this forum are decent folks)

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    92 sevilles are pretty rare in the want ads. So many 95, 98, 99 cars. Even though the body changed a bit and motors evolved. I don't even look at posts concerning 4.9 motor work. I know changing the water pump is a pain. And head gaskets seem much more durable than the NS motors.

Crudsturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville

Well it has 128k miles not too bad at all for its age. As you can see it is in really nice shape. I looked all over the net for cars last night and don't see anything as nice for the money I need to put in this. So I think I am going to fix it. However I will just do head gaskets for now and put the transmission money to the side, my brothers boss thinks he can rebuild mine fairly easy. So that may be an option down the road. It shifts and drives great just the sound(which I don't ever rev it up lol) and the weird issue where it doesn't move immediately when I get off work.

As far as working on the 4.9 I find it to be an easy motor to work on, even the so called dreaded water pump. I do them in an hour or less. The timing cover to me is the worst thing about the 4.9 Well in a few weekends I will tackle the head gaskets I will let yall know how it goes.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    If you do the head gaskets on this, please take pics and post em, id love to see the 4.9 broken down and repaired, alot of northstars here, very few 4.9's

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Crudsturbo View Post
    Well it has 128k miles not too bad at all for its age. As you can see it is in really nice shape. I looked all over the net for cars last night and don't see anything as nice for the money I need to put in this. So I think I am going to fix it. However I will just do head gaskets for now and put the transmission money to the side, my brothers boss thinks he can rebuild mine fairly easy. So that may be an option down the road. It shifts and drives great just the sound(which I don't ever rev it up lol) and the weird issue where it doesn't move immediately when I get off work.

As far as working on the 4.9 I find it to be an easy motor to work on, even the so called dreaded water pump. I do them in an hour or less. The timing cover to me is the worst thing about the 4.9 Well in a few weekends I will tackle the head gaskets I will let yall know how it goes.
    ----------------------
    I looked all over the net for cars last night
    and don't see anything as nice for the money I need to put in

that's what I suggested to customers facing big repair bills -

consider a few things -

1- do you still like the car -

2 - what's it worth in present condition -

3 - how much to put it back into good shape -

4 - what else is available for the total $$$ if you add #2 and #3 together -

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

[QUOTE=stoveguyy;3218289]92 sevilles are pretty rare in the want ads. So many 95, 98, 99 cars. Even though the body changed a bit and motors evolved. I don't even look at posts concerning 4.9 motor work. I know changing the water pump is a pain. And head gaskets seem much more durable than the NS motors.[/QUOTE

I'm on my 3 rd. 4.9 now and the only weak point they seem to have is the water pump,overall they cost less to maintain than the NS, I have also owned a 97 sts that
    was a money pit, and I maintain my vehicles very well, my 92 eldo. has 165,000 miles on it and still runs great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.