how long do I need to drive sts 2001 to get SES light while gas cap is removed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, how long do I need to drive sts 2001 to get SES light while gas cap is removed in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need to check if I get SES light on when a code is set. I removed gas cap had ...
    john19999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997

how long do I need to drive sts 2001 to get SES light while gas cap is removed

I need to check if I get SES light on when a code is set. I removed gas cap had have been driving for a couple of days (todaul drove about 20 miles). So far I have not seen code set. Does anyone knows how long a car needs to be driven before a code is set. Also is there any other easy way for getting the code set that can turn SES on like removing any hose?

Thanks
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: how ling do I need to drive sts 2001 to get SES light while gas cap is removed

The gas cap is part of the EVAP system - the system is monitored - so a loose gas cap normally sets off a fuel tank pressure/vacuum code. In your car the EVAP control solenoid is on the right (rear) side of the throttlebody. It has a vacuum hose and electrical connector sticking out of its end. You could disconnect the vacuum line from the solenoid and cap the nipple. The fuel tank pressure sensor should then trip an EVAP code. I would think that a couple of days with no gas cap would have tripped at least ONE code !!!
    Tankboy40 and Tankboy40 like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: how ling do I need to drive sts 2001 to get SES light while gas cap is removed

Unplug the IAT sensor. That should trip the SES light almost immediately I believe.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    IAT sensor is integrated into the MAF in '00+ cars. Disconnecting that will trigger the light. So will disconnecting the EGR valve, pulling the AIR pump fuse..... Anything emissions related.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

True. I was thinking pre-2000.

PeterS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 (Seville) STS

Hi
    The same thing happend to me and I drove at different speeds for about 80 miles.
    Then It reset and I was able to get a Inspection. I bought a new GM Gas Cap before I Drove the car for the 80 miles.
    I am no expert just passing on my experience.
    Pete

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: how long do I need to drive sts 2001 to get SES light while gas cap is removed

Thanks - it all goes into the great database (If anyone would take the time to look for it).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.