Several 2002 STS issues--just bought w/ only 24K miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Several 2002 STS issues--just bought w/ only 24K miles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, I'm a total Caddy newbie and appreciate all of the help and info available here at the Forum. ...
    TripleForte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS

Several 2002 STS issues--just bought w/ only 24K miles

Hi guys, I'm a total Caddy newbie and appreciate all of the help and info available here at the Forum. I saw a teal-colored STS in 1995 and have wanted one for 17 years! Just bought a beautiful silver 2002 STS w/ only 24k miles from a fire captain's mother-in-law out here in Palos Verdes, CA, which seemed like a safe bet. I've spent hours researching the site (thanks AJ, Submariner, JimD and the rest of you), but am hoping for some confirmation and direction with some issues that have popped up since the purchase.

1. The only issue at the time was the "Service Stability Sytem" warning on the dash. He had just put in a new battery and said the warning had only shown up AFTER he had put in the new battery. The warning only comes on once every time the car is started (never while driving) and I clear it with the INFO DOWN button. I don't know if there is some "relearn" required, but I'm getting current DTC's of C1284 and C1285 (Lateral Accelerometer Sensor Bias and Circuit Malfunctions). I have noticed that the brakes seem to rattle the whole car when doing a hard brake at high speed, so maybe I have a more serious ABS issue.

2. The AM radio does not get any reception except for Los Angeles' powerhouse flamethrower AM640. All the rest is static. Will check for connection in rear window as suggested by others here. (Don't know if this might also be related to the new battery install.) There is an ONSTAR antenna attached to the rear window, but I'm not a subscriber and don't know if it's active.

3. I'm getting a 3-4 second buzz/hum in the right-rear of the trunk on start-up and sometimes while driving. This could be an ELC issue related to the Stability System since it's intermittent, but I must confess that after having been accustomed to driving Chevy's and Fords down past "Empty" for most of my life, it's probably the fuel pump screaming at me to keep the tank above 1/4 full . What do you think?

4. Lastly, the latest and biggest problem has been random stalling. It can happen in the driveway, stopped at a signal, turning, or driving on the freeway in a straight line. Sometimes the engine just dies quickly, and I can put it into neutral and restart it without any problem while coasting. Other times the tach will fluctuate wildly and sputter w/o dying so I will have to shut it off and restart. Usually, the engine starts right back up, but after a few times of having to do this the "Service Engine Soon" light came on and has stayed on. DTC's are P0385, P0386, and P1372 (Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit; Sensor B Performance; and Sensor A-B Correlation). P1372 has gone into "History," but P0386 goes in and out. All research here points to the CKP Sensors, so I have an appointment on Monday to have them changed w/ the AC Delco/Japan sensors suggested by many of you.

Many thanks for any help/suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Several 2002 STS issues--just bought w/ only 24K miles

Welcome !!

Looks like you're on top of the C codes and the CKP replacement.

The brakes - do several aggressive stops from 70 - do NOT hold the brakes at the stop - drive away, get to 70 and do it again. After 3 stops, drive normally for 5 miles to cool the rotors. You might find the brakes a bit smoother.......the rotors don't warp; they pick up pad deposits from wimpy city driving and need to be cleaned once in a while.

Enter the VIN (case sensitive) into www.compnine.com to find out what's built into that car. Save the page as a text document - you get only one readout per day on that site.

The OnStar can be upgraded to analog if it has not been done. One way to tell is the rear window stub whip - the loading coil is in the top third of the whip on the old analog system; the new digital conversion whip has the loading coil in the bottom third. Cadillac dealer, couple hundred bucks to get it back online with some phone minutes, too.

If you haven't done so, click my username, open the profile. Left column, lower part - 2 albums, 6 pages of 2002 STS parts and diagrams.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

The 3-4 second humm is the ELC compressor going through test cycle. Be glad to hear it. It can run occassionaly depending on loading and where you drive.
    Sounds like you need rotors turned or pads.
    The radio reception can be tied to rear window tinting... do a search for it, either here or google. I remember not too long ago it was discussed on the forums.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleForte View Post
    Hi guys, I'm a total Caddy newbie and appreciate all of the help and info available here at the Forum....

1. The only issue at the time was the "Service Stability Sytem" warning on the dash....I clear it with the INFO DOWN button. I don't know if there is some "relearn" required, but I'm getting current DTC's of C1284 and C1285 (Lateral Accelerometer Sensor Bias and Circuit Malfunctions).
    Since (someone) has been under the rear seat recently, it would be worth your time and effort to remove the rear seat cushion and thoroughly inspect the wire harness and component connectors on the LH side of the area. In particular the lateral accelerometer (item 7 in the picture).
    I have noticed that the brakes seem to rattle the whole car when doing a hard brake at high speed, so maybe I have a more serious ABS issue.
    Don't pursue an ABS or brake issue until you have completed the lateral accelerometer wiring inspection. The accelerometers are part of the ABS system which is part of Stabiltrak. A fault in the lateral accelerometer circuit can/will send false data to the ABS Stabilitrak circuits and unpredictable braking action CAN result.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

All I have to add is and nice find.

The Gold is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 El Dorado

Ditto, welcome !!

TripleForte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS

Thanks guys. The CKPs have been replaced (total P&L $460) and the stalling issue (and codes) is resolved, as is the AM radio problem. Will have a look under the rear seat this weekend to c/o the harness and connections re: the accelerometer issue.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    $460?! That's excessive.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

GM pricing is about $96 each and 1.5 hours labor.

.............so $460, at dealer rates, is about $100 high.

RockAuto sells the CKP's for about $45 each and it's a driveway DIY in 2 hours.......... but everyone does not have the time, jacks, jackstands, or tools.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.