Damn this thing is reliable, just passed the 180k mark.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
  • 2 Post By Mullah88
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Damn this thing is reliable, just passed the 180k mark. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2001 STS just passed the 180k mark this past week. It just keeps ticking. Uses a quart of oil every ...
    tripowerbird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville STS

Cool Damn this thing is reliable, just passed the 180k mark.

2001 STS just passed the 180k mark this past week. It just keeps ticking. Uses a quart of oil every 3K or so but no big deal. Besides the normal wear items, brakes, tires, waterpump, both outer tie rod ends, one front hub, one rear hub it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Plus I'm still on the original battery. For all of the complaints I see from others about issues with their cars I can't say I have any with the exception of a few buttons that no longer light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Damn this thing is reliable, just passed the 180k mark.

There are far, far more of these cars on the road that have few or no problems than there are lemons. Forums like this compress the problems so it appears that all of a particular car is a cash pit. Not so. Other than tires, brakes, oil, filters, a belt or two, and a recall for fuel tank pressure sensor, my car has been dead nuts reliable since I bought it on 11/21/05. But normal checks and preventive maintenance are necessary - and if you need a message or warning light to remind you that something's due or wrong, you're driving the wrong car. When one of these FWD Cadillacs posts a warning message it's not "Oh, by the way....." - the car is screaming in pain and the warning is your fault.
    Cadillac_Fan and Cadillac_Fan like this.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tripowerbird View Post
    2001 STS....Plus I'm still on the original battery.
    Now that is a stretch. Unless you are the original owner, how do you know the battery is "original" (as in factory installed)?

With a properly maintained vehicle, the overwhelming majority of FWD Cadillac owners would have no interest in locating a forum such as this and no need to ask routine questions. If some teeny-bopper with a cell phone had not rear ended my 1998 Seville almost two years ago, that car would still be my daily driver. And it would be nearing the 250,000 mile mark all driven by the original owner.

Enjoy that beast; mine was the 2nd best Interstate cruiser I have owned.

Mullah88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6L (BLU); 1998 Seville STS (Delilah)
    1998 seville sts currently at 185k miles! Still going strong. Probably will outlast my 06 sts
    Cadillac_Fan and Cadillac_Fan like this.

[QUOTE=JimD;3211771]Now that is a stretch. Unless you are the original owner, how do you know the battery is "original" (as in factory installed)?

Bought it from the original owner in 2004 with 25k on the odo and they had done zero service performed with the exception of oil changes. I realize I'm pretty lucky so I keep my fingers crossed. Since I put 90+ miles a day on it just commuting to work I should be able to hit the 200k mark by the end of this year. Whether the battery makes it that long is another story. A milestone if it does.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

By all that's holy, a wet cell car battery over 5 - 6 years old is living on borrowed time.

AS SOON AS the engine sounds "weak" in the start sequence or stuff like lights and indicators go dim when cranking, replace the battery with an original Group 79 AC Delco unit - it uses a cell vent cover with drains which attach to a tubing arrangement that goes through the floor pan. If you have never looked, you might want to do so fairly soon - it's under the back seat - disconnect the seat heater cable under the passenger side with the seat pad raised halfway.....

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Mine has been relatively trouble free and reliable as well, though my battery didn't quite make it as long as yours. Every now and then you get an energizer bunny. Be sure to let us know what the final longevity turns out to be.

P.S.
    It's nice to hear a positive thread once in a while.

RetiredSFC 97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

Good to know, but I would replace that battery. Could be some of your button light issues. Never know for sure, but a weak battery can give you fits with electrical gremlins. The longest I've ever seen a battery last was on my 97 Dodeg Ram, I replaced it in about 02 or 03 and I had to replace it again this past summer. But I don't drive it but about 5K a year.

I also agree that if people based their car buying by visiting a car forum they would never buy a car. This is where you see all the problems that occur, but you have to be careful because some of these problems are owner induced, some aren't and you have to know the difference.

I will say though of all the issues I've had with my vette, they are all the common ones. Same with my STS. Every issue I've had there are pages and pages of the problems popping up on not only caddy forums, but other places on the internet as well.

Don't mind problems, what I do mind is the same problem popping up over and over again like the oil pressure switch on the C5 vette. Weird is all I can say.

The light issues are just bulb related. Right front seat heater switch, right rear seat heater switch and the lower right cruise button. They work, just not illuminated. As far as the battery goes I know it's living on borrowed time. No problem turning over on zero degree days, even after left sitting for a week during a recent business trip I was on. At this point it's a game to see when it actually fails. It's longevity could be luck or that always is driven for hour long stretches at a time (due to my commute) so remains fully charged. Now my 05 Suburban battery lasted until last fall then just dead. That vehicle sees a pretty big mix of around town and long distance so it's stressed more.

I have AAA plus so regardless if and when it goes dead I can at least have it flatbedded home. Of course now that I started this thread it'll die tomorrow since Murphy's law will prevail. He's always waiting in the wings.

RetiredSFC 97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

Well if it's turning over fine at zero degrees it must be ok. Heat will kill a battery, cold will tell you how good the battery is. Just for giggles you might want to check the volts on it. I'm assuming the volts should be in the 12 range on a caddy as well.

vicb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade, 2002 SL 500 Silver Arrow

My 1997 STS has 161,000miles and still going strong other than a sunroof issue I am having right now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.