Coolant Type?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Coolant Type? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Quick question? What type of Coolant/Anti-Freeze does a 2000 Seville SLS take? I remember that the dealer put in the ...
    giantsfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Coolant Type?

Quick question? What type of Coolant/Anti-Freeze does a 2000 Seville SLS take? I remember that the dealer put in the type that should not have to be replaced for like 5 years. I'm getting a "Check coolant level" message on my dash and I'm concerned. As soon as the car cools down, I'll check the level.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Coolant Type?

Id have a flush done and have it filled with 50/50 Dex-Cool, pull the drain plug from the radiator and see what comes out, you can use the green stuff, just dont mix the two, hence my request to pull the plug. Both should be changed religiously every 3-4 years. 5 years is pushing it

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No need for a flush unless there's a blockage, or you're trying to flush out some stop leak product.

You can use DEX, or the all makes/all models "green stuff" it makes no difference. Also, as long as the bottle of "green stuff" says it's mixable, you can mix them. The only downside is that you'll have odd colored coolant.

Most would recommend a change interval of 2 years, 3 max, regardless of coolant type.

I had that done a few months ago by a mechanic who put the green stuff in. I then went back to the dealer for an oil change. They discovered that the green stuff was in the car and asked if I wanted it or the Coolant that lasted for 5 years. I opted for the 5 year Coolant. This was only about 7k miles and a few months ago. So, if it's not green, then it's orange? I was just planning to add some Coolant and I did not want to add the wrong stuff as this would be mixing two wrong things together. How many types of Coolant are there for this car?

5 years is a lot to ask of any coolant. DEX-COOL was designed to be a 5 year coolant, but several green coolants are advertised as the same. As posted, most here recommend a change every 2-3 years, regardless of type.

Factory fill was DEX. As posted, you can use DEX or green stuff. As posted, they can be mixed as long as the bottle of green coolant states it can (pretty much any name brand).

More importantly than coolant type, why are you adding it?

Oh, I'm nowhere near the 5 year point, the manager at the service dept. indicated that the coolant was 5 year coolant. I've never left any coolant in any car for 5 years. I guess this was his way of indicating to me that this was better coolant. I felt I needed to add some because the "check coolant level" indicator came on.

Just try topping it off and go from there, if it still does so start checking for leaks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

"Top off" is a misleading term. The proper coolant level - COLD - is about halfway up in the reservoir. There is a "FULL COLD" legend on the top of the reservoir with a wide arrow that points down to about the tank mid-seam. Never check or adjust coolant level with the engine warm or hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    "Top off" is a misleading term. The proper coolant level - COLD - is about halfway up in the reservoir. There is a "FULL COLD" legend on the top of the reservoir with a wide arrow that points down to about the tank mid-seam. Never check or adjust coolant level with the engine warm or hot.

My resovoir is all black as midnight, i can't tell the level its at without looking down the neck even then i can't tell, i just fill it up until i see it creeping up before it hits the overflow tube..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    My resovoir is all black as midnight, i can't tell the level its at without looking down the neck even then i can't tell, i just fill it up until i see it creeping up before it hits the overflow tube..
    Bad practice. At least use a flashlight to look-see and wing it - 2 or 3 inches down is full enough. It's a wonder the system doesn't burp coolant out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Bad practice. At least use a flashlight to look-see and wing it - 2 or 3 inches down is full enough. It's a wonder the system doesn't burp coolant out all the time.
    i stop about an inch or two before it hits the tube.. my resovoir is weird, not see through like others ive seen posted on here.

Yup. Some years/models use an all black tank.

Ok, but is it the green or the orange type of coolant that I should be using? I don't think I should be mixing the two, should I?

From post #3:
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    You can use DEX, or the all makes/all models "green stuff" it makes no difference. Also, as long as the bottle of "green stuff" says it's mixable, you can mix them. The only downside is that you'll have odd colored coolant.
    From post #5:
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Factory fill was DEX. As posted, you can use DEX or green stuff. As posted, they can be mixed as long as the bottle of green coolant states it can be (pretty much any name brand).
    Don't just fill it and forget about it. You need to find the source of your leak.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's a sealed system. You should never have to add coolant. If you do, you have a leak. You need to find and fix the leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.