Starters , what kind and how much ??$$$.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Starters , what kind and how much ??$$$. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; For the last few days , at least once a day I got turn the key twice to get the ...
    ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Starters , what kind and how much ??$$$.

For the last few days , at least once a day I got turn the key twice to get the car started . I hear a click , then back off and turn it again , and car starts . Im thinking I got a dead spot on the starter armature . Doesn't help that is been about zero here for this week either !. I was looking at rock auto and they have starters ranging in price from $63.00 to over $ 200. Or O'rielieys has rebuilds for about $150.00 . What do you guys recommmend . I dont want to be doing this again , especially when its zero out . tx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    How old is the battery? Have you pulled any codes also?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Starters , what kind and how much ??$$$.

I'd make damned sure that the battery is not at fault first.

Battery is a 2.5 to 3 year old die hard. A few weeks ago this happened a few random times now it was twice today. First turn of the key it hits the solenoid and thats it. Next turn of the key starter hits and car starts. No heistation or slow cranking.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

It's free to remove all the cables and clean them as well as any engine to chassis grounds. It's a 13 year old car, cannt hurt.
    basscatt and basscatt like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

None of that is enough to rule out the battery. I'd check the static voltage and again while cranking or attempting to on the first try.

stsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

I agree, although what you describe is exactly what my daughters car was doing a few weeks ago, but I did take the starter to have it tested before I shelled out for a new one. Speaking of new, all starters are rebuilds, new starters are manufactured for new cars, not used ones, I used to make them, had to think about it when my other daughter demanded her car have a new starter. After several calls ,I finally called the dealer who told me the one they had for 450 was also a rebuild...I thought..duh..I make the damn things, and yes we don't make them for 6 year old cars, only the new model runs. As far as who has the best rebuilds, a good auto parts store clerk should be able to tell you whats junk, and what might work. As far as checking before you pull it, there are a number of things that might cause the symptoms
    you describe... bad switch at the key, bad neutral safety switch, or loose ground cables are some of the most common...

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by ELDO GUY View Post
    Battery is a 2.5 to 3 year old die hard. A few weeks ago this happened a few random times now it was twice today. First turn of the key it hits the solenoid and thats it. Next turn of the key starter hits and car starts. No heistation or slow cranking.
    Just have it tested man.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

WHY everybody always jumps straight to the starter?
    Please understand the starter in these cars almost NEVER fails.
    You always have issues with the battery, the battery terminals and the cables.

And since this is winter and we are now in the 10*F range guess what I would suspect first?
    No battery lasted for me more than 3 years (NONE!)

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    WHY everybody always jumps straight to the starter?
    Not "everybody".

Please understand the starter in these cars almost NEVER fails.
    "Almost" is a qualifier.
    If you claimed the starter MOTOR "almost NEVER fails", I would lean toward agreeing. And remain silent.

BUT. The starter solenoid contacts are a very different issue. The solenoid contacts can only switch that heavy starter motor current demand so many times before the copper surfaces are pitted (from arcing) beyond being able to ratchet to some other useable contact point.

NAPA has a replacement part for the folks who are willing to gamble and replace the solenoid only.

And since this is winter and we are now in the 10*F range guess what I would suspect first?
    No battery lasted for me more than 3 years (NONE!)
    Read post #1. The battery will crank and start the engine.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by ELDO GUY View Post
    For the last few days , at least once a day I got turn the key twice to get the car started . I hear a click , then back off and turn it again , and car starts . Im thinking I got a dead spot on the starter armature . Doesn't help that is been about zero here for this week either !. I was looking at rock auto and they have starters ranging in price from $63.00 to over $ 200. Or O'rielieys has rebuilds for about $150.00 . What do you guys recommmend . I dont want to be doing this again , especially when its zero out . tx.
    this is the classic symptoms of worn copper contacts in the starter solenoid. The solenoid pulls in as it's supposed to, but the contacts to the motor don't close or conduct. Happens to the best of them. If diagnostics confirm this, you can replace them for about $1.00 once the starter is out. EDIT: Jim beat me to it!

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Why don't you do a more scientific test and start with measuring the battery voltage before cracking. Use as ground the engine block.
    A bad contact (battery cables, engine block ground) may cause the issues mentioned. Actually a bad contact (say engine ground) may even post as a weak battery when in fact the battery just doesn't get current (consistently) from the alternator.
    Not that I don’t agree with the above just that the statics do tend to do so. Last time I had an issue with the starter was in ’93 (I remember even the month - May) we were trying to sell one of the cars. The car had no issues up to that morning when we were supposed to show it to a potential buyer. Good thing my uncle had some brushes handy that I could borrow.

Tommrow, I will check out the Battery, then the ground from the battery. I did have a electrical problem this year where the battery total discharged a few times , and was drawing some power most of the time (shorted relay ) until I found the problem . The battery is still under covered under warranty. My only concern is that I had my engine studded in July and maybe one of the connections is starting to get lose . Also when charging after start up I notice the battery pulling 15 volts for a while is that to high ?

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

When it finally does crank is it at normal speed? If it is the battery is probably fine.

stsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

And if you want to test the starter, it's not the headache some describe to remove it, I was actually impressed at how easy it is to get to, intake is fairly easy to remove, starter is right there on top

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.