2003 Seville will not crank
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2003 Seville will not crank in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, Wife parked our '03 Seville SLS at our local McDonalds Tuesday evening and it would not start when she ...
    midwesthuey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville DHS, 2003 Seville SLS

2003 Seville will not crank

Hello, Wife parked our '03 Seville SLS at our local McDonalds Tuesday evening and it would not start when she got ready to leave. I suspected battery but it checks out and seems to take a trickle charge and hold it. I removed the main ground wire from the battery and the chassis. Cleaned the Chassis connection and reassembled. Although the bolt there was rusty it seems to be making a decent connection for now. all the lights bells and dingers seem to be working fine. When I go to start it every thing on the dash shuts down (which I think is normal) as in lights out fuel guage goes to Empty but no starter noise. I can't tell if the solenoid is engaging or not. I swapped some of the likly relays with less pertanant ones around in the fuse block under the hood. I have not checked any connections; power or ground under the hood yet. Where should I look for the power line feeding into the engine block for the starter, I should have noticed but honestly I just was not looking for a starting under the intake so could have easily missed it.

Temps here have dipped to 8 degs F overnight. I would rather not tow this thing if I don't have too. I am no McGuiver but have been a fairly accomplished "shade tree* mechanic over the years. If anyone could help me with some specific info on this type of problem I would appreciate it. partial Codes listed below.

One more thing the car has been cutting out with erratic idle for several weeks. Not an actual miss but defiantly erratic. Low idle speed on cold start but smooth. After it warms up things get more interesting, usually get a rhythmic idle speed pulse from 600 to about 1200 rpms on about a 1 second cycle. Full out on the highway it growls nicely and not sign of a problem with varying RPMs I have replaced the downstream O2 sensor and I tried the TPS off an '03 Deville that I drive daily. Some of the idle speed issues have now shown up also in the Deville although I did swap the TPS back.

Any advise, suggestions or criticism welcome at this point. I am working so finding time to work on a car in the McDonalds parking lot is never easy or pleasant.

ABS: C1224 History (Air pump out)
    ABS: C1225 History
    ABS: C1228 History
    ABS: C1232 History
    ABS: C1235 History
    ABS: C1287 History

DDM: ?3833 Current
    DDM: U1713 Current
    DDM: B1004 Current
    DDM: B1652 Current

IRC: U1064 ??
    IRC: U1016 ??
    IRC: U1000 ??

PCM: P0101 ??
    PCM: P0102 ??
    PCM: P0171 ??
    PCM: P0104 ??

RIM: B1007 ??
    RIM: B1328 ??
    RIM: U1255 ??

TTM: B1982 ??
    TTM: U1016 ??
    TTM: B2947 ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2003 Seville will not crank

Codes are meaningless without definitions. No one has them memorized. Use the OBDII link in the DTC Sticky to find them.

Do you hear a clicking when you turn the key? What's your battery voltage? Doe the headlights go real dim when you try to start it?

Check your codes again. I do recognize P0171 and that is usually accompanied by P0174. I suspect that's what you meant instead of P0104. That would point to a ripped plenum duct (rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold).

P.S.
    Clean the TB while you are replacing it.

Ranger, Thanks for reply. Lights did not dim while in crank position. Got car back home and tore into it. Starter was bad, would not bench test, all wiring and voltages good at starter. New Starter and intake seals ready but can not locate the plenum boot in stock anywhere (Sunday). Pressed a couple parts stores past the usual first try search and they did identify and confirm they can order it. Will likely be in for a couple days. Plan to check with the local dealer Monday AM or order it online if not it stock or way too high. I see the Dorman boot comes with intake runner seals for $25 or less. So I can take my intake seals back. Boot did appear to have a hole in it.

I will be cleaning the TB, never seen so much carbon gunk. What cleaners are recommended to use on the throttle body?

I cleared all the codes previously and since it hasn’t started since I will pull those again and research what they mean.

Thanks again!

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

PCM: P0101 ??
    PCM: P0102 ??
    PCM: P0171 ??
    PCM: P0104 ??

P0101, P0102, P0104 are cylinder misfires in respective cyinders 1 , 2, 4.
    P0171 is a clean condition code.

It is quite possible that the plenum coupling for the intake manifold to be torn. Yet, in the grande scheme of things there is a vacuum leak causing the possible misfire codes in those cylinders along with the P0171.

Since the intake must be removed to access the starter, replacing the coupling and intake mainifold seals at this time would be a wise decision.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v
    PCM:P0101, P0102, P0104 are cylinder misfires in respective cyinders 1 , 2, 4.
    No, they're MAF codes. P0301-P0308 are misfire codes.

Thanks MoistCabbage, you're correct on that one.

I have codes floating around in my head, now I'm starting to mix them up?!

Mass air flow codes are going to be a bit tricky to pin down. Usually there is a wiring problem, unplugged mass air flow or the unit is bad. I have rarelycome across a bad unit, but it does occur.

Quote Originally Posted by midwesthuey View Post
    I will be cleaning the TB, never seen so much carbon gunk. What cleaners are recommended to use on the throttle body?
    Carb or TB cleaner.

It is fixed - Plenum boot and runner seals replaced and cleaned the TB when I replaced the starter and it runs like a top. No check engine light at all after logging several trips and about 300 miles. Thanks for your advice. I had heard the intake seals could cause a lot of trouble but was hesitating to go there. I had already replaced the downstream O2 sensor. If the starter had not quit I might still be puttering around in a poorly running ride and perhaps worse, replacing perfectly good sensors.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    Mass air flow codes are going to be a bit tricky to pin down. Usually there is a wiring problem, unplugged mass air flow or the unit is bad. I have rarelycome across a bad unit, but it does occur.
    MAF codes in the OP's 2003 Seville might well be due to an intake air duct leak at or after the divorced MAF. A common culprit is the intake air duct resonator - the kidney-shaped plastic thing on top of the convoluted intake duct. If that resonator is not securely clamped into the hole it sets all sorts of codes.

Here's his Seville engine air intake end with the resonator removed and the hole plugged.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Edit

What's the deal with the plenum boot and the tears in them?

I've changed like three since I've started dabbling in these engines. Anytime I see lean codes after checking all the obvious stuff, it leads to the plenum boot.

What is it? Bad design, poor installation? Every plenum boot to date is torn near the bottom?

Never go through the hassle of changing the plenum boot without chnaging the seals at the intake/head.

Better safe than sorry.

----------

Glad you fixed it............

If you look at the plenum duct you can see where liquid will settle in it. My guess is that once shut down, EGR & PCV gases condense and settle in the low spot in the plenum duct. Over the years, the acids deteriorate the rubber. I'm surprised that mine has lasted as long as it has.

That may explain it then.

The plenum coupling is basically "eaten" away until it causes a leak.

Well, I guess every couple of years you change the coupling and chalk it up as maintenance.......

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "eaten" away. As for the replacement schedule, like I said, mine has 10 years on it so far.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.