Post new radiator install, temp issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Post new radiator install, temp issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 99 Cadillac STS Seville 174k miles. Replaced radiator after HVAC issues ( http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-getting.html ), and new surge tank, refilled using ...
    curlywurly is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS & 1992 STS

Post new radiator install, temp issues

99 Cadillac STS Seville 174k miles.

Replaced radiator after HVAC issues ( http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...y-getting.html ), and new surge tank, refilled using recommend coolant and method, it seemed to take roughly the same amount coolant to refill as I got out when draining, after topping up/rev the engine for an hour or so.

I now get the Check coolant level warning, and I let it cool down, and then top it up a little, about 1/4" below the recommended line on the surge tank, but after doing this , and when the engine gets warms it seems to be over flowing from the surge tank. The temperature gauge in the cat now regularly goes to the the first marker past halfway (say 1 o'clock), doesn't go past it, but it is cold outside at the moment, and my concern is that this will change when the 100F summers come, after a short period of driving, say 5 minutes, the temp gauge goes down again.

So, is this all part of the self-purging going on...and will takes several hundreds of miles to settle in? Previous to this (old rad) I've never had a single issue with the cooling system always been rock solid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

turbol15 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 eldo,2011 cts-v

Re: Post new radiator install, temp issues

You will need to fill it up a few times. I had the same issue with my eldorado when I replaced the radiator.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I now get the Check coolant level warning, and I let it cool down, and then top it up a little, about 1/4" below the recommended line on the surge tank, but after doing this , and when the engine gets warms it seems to be over flowing from the surge tank.
    THAT is not part of the self purging. You may have to top it off once or twice, but it should NEVER overflow unless it was overfilled. Might be time for a block test.

Ok, guess a block test is needed - will this do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-Co...l+Block+Tester

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by curlywurly View Post
    Ok, guess a block test is needed - will this do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-Co...l+Block+Tester
    ------------------
    first - have you checked the PURGE LINE -
    the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage

----------------------

you don't have to purchase the BLOCK TEST KIT -
    most big auto parts stores will "rent" you the kit for free -
    and you just pay for the "magic blue juice" - less than $10 -

that kit does not include a vacuum pump

Bascatt, I will check that. The nipple on the surge tank is the one at the top - right? It could be a blockage, as it seemed to be going Ok for a while, also, when I have popped recently to check on things, a small amount of steam coming from the cap on the surge tank, and from memory, I didn't see any out flow going from the top hose on the surge tank, in the process of refilling and topping of the new rad coolant WAS flowing out of the surge tank, so, hopefully some gunk has got dislodged and now giving hassle...well I hope it's that and not the head gasket!

Bascatt, I will check that. The nipple on the surge tank is the one at the top - right? It could be a blockage, as it seemed to be going Ok for a while, also, when I have popped recently to check on things, a small amount of steam coming from the cap on the surge tank, and from memory, I didn't see any out flow going from the top hose on the surge tank, in the process of refilling and topping of the new rad coolant WAS flowing out of the surge tank, so, hopefully some gunk has got dislodged and now giving hassle...well I hope it's that and not the head gasket!
    --------------------
    The nipple on the surge tank is the one at the top - right?
    don't confuse the PURGE LINE with the overflow hose -

re-read my post -

Got it...thanks.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

In your 1999 there should be no "overflow" line. Excess coolant should blow off around the cap flange and run down the back of the reservoir. The purge nipple is the small one at the top reservoir side that points straight at the engine, and the hose curves down and goes to the metal bolt/nipple next to the water pump cover.

............. if the 1999 uses a screw-on reservoir cap instead of a 1/2 turn twist-to-lock cap.

I have a lower hose going into the surge tank, and a upper hose, which seems to go into a part/engine, about 18 inches away from the surge tank, this is what I think you describe Submariner.

I have a lower hose going into the surge tank, and a upper hose, which seems to go into a part/engine, about 18 inches away from the surge tank, this is what I think you describe Submariner.
    --------------------------
    look at the serge tank -

do you see a small - 3/8 diameter hose
    that goes from the serge tank - all the way to the engine?

that is the PURGE LINE -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The coolant reservoir "rides" on the main coolant system. That reservoir lower hose you have (we have) T's into the heater return circuit just before the water pump cover/thermostat housing.

Ok. Just checked and the surge tank cap and it is a screw on type.

This is the scenario, stone cold engine, coolant level in the surge tank is low, not empty, but very low, I drive 20 miles or, temp gauge sits at 12 for short while, I previously I said it goes to the first marker after the 12 position, but actually it is sitting most of the time between 12 & 1, goes up to 1 then down again. I just checked the surge tank when it is hot, the coolant level in the tank is at the very top and it is evident that steam is coming out, not much, but some, so call me stupid, but at this point shouldn't be out flowing through the top purge hose? So this points to a blockage, as bascatt was pointing out. And yes, the purge line from the surge tank connects what looks to be at the thermostat housing area, where the rad hoses connect.

This is the scenario, stone cold engine, coolant level in the surge tank is low, not empty, but very low, I drive 20 miles or, temp gauge sits at 12 for short while, I previously I said it goes to the first marker after the 12 position, but actually it is sitting most of the time between 12 & 1, goes up to 1 then down again. I just checked the surge tank when it is hot, the coolant level in the tank is at the very top and it is evident that steam is coming out, not much, but some, so call me stupid, but at this point shouldn't be out flowing through the top purge hose? So this points to a blockage, as bascatt was pointing out. And yes, the purge line from the surge tank connects what looks to be at the thermostat housing area, where the rad hoses connect.
    ----------------------------------
    one more time -

the ONLY purpose of the PURGE LINE
    is to release trapped air from the cooling system -

coolant - and trapped air - flows FROM the engine -
    TO the serge tank -
    through the PURGE LINE -

the hollow bolt the PURGE LINE attaches to - at the motor -
    is a known problem spot - it can get plugged -

IF the hollow bolt is plugged - coolant - and trapped air -
    will NOT flow from the engine - to the serge tank -
    and this causes problems -

air trapped in the cooling system will cause a lack of coolant circulation -
    resulting in overheating -

you need to visibly see - WATCH - coolant flow through the PURGE LINE -
    to verify the hollow bolt is not plugged -

with the engine cool - and engine OFF -
    pull the PURGE LINE off the serge tank -

stick the end of the PURGE LINE into a container
    to collect any coolant that might come out -

now start the engine - and look at the PURGE LINE -
    is there a constant - gentle flow of coolant?

if YES - the PURGE LINE is NOT blocked -
    and the hollow bolt is NOT plugged -
    shut off the engine -
    and reconnect the PURGE LINE -

if NO FLOW - the hollow bolt is probably plugged -
    and you need to clear the blockage using the method I already described -

after clearing the blockage - re-test - to be sure you have a flow of coolant -
    ---------------

if the PURGE LINE was clear - and flowing -
    you should perform a BLOCK TEST - to check for head gasket problems -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not a good sign. Does this happen with the coolant at the proper level? If it's real low it might be sucking air. Does the surge tank smell like exhaust? Check the purge line for flow as Bass described. If it has flow, borrow a block test kit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.