What goes in this rectangular hole? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, What goes in this rectangular hole? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think the whole airbox setup is completely different for the 93 and older. It's a whole other body style ...
    brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: What goes in this rectangular hole?

I think the whole airbox setup is completely different for the 93 and older. It's a whole other body style and they don't fall apart on those.

Take pictures when you replace it, I want to see the progress and what it looks like underneath it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah that blower control module setup that plugs into the hole in the top of the housing goes back to the 80's ... E,K,C,D body vehicles all used a module with a heatsink that dropped into the box (probably to get fresh air to cool off the module (the're already putting a heatsink of the 'chip' so you know it gets hot)

part numbers change through the years and the housing design changes with the body style changes
    but the overall design goes back pretty far it seems
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

txtaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 72,92,02 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    I think the whole airbox setup is completely different for the 93 and older. It's a whole other body style and they don't fall apart on those.

Take pictures when you replace it, I want to see the progress and what it looks like underneath it.
    My 92 Eldorado is different, it's metal.
    I'll take pics as this may be a little harder than I thought. It's pretty tight back there just swapping out coils paks. The new one is flexible, not sure if it's flexible enough to get in without moving the motor.
    Taz

Round 1...
    Whew, I think the car won that round. Pictures coming soon and not from the bottom unless I get one of those snake cams. You can't see anything, the steering and cross member is in the way.

I need to figure a better way to move the engine forward. I bought a turnbuckle from Home Depot and it did not have enough throw to pull it forward enough to get the blower fan out. I'm going to try 1 large and 1 small turnbuckle with a J hook on one of the ends and see if I can hook the J to part of the frame or rig something up. It was frustrating.

The heat shields screws weren't too bad to get to. The right one hold the heat shield over the blower motor also. The bottom 4 screws are going to be
    I can't get to them from the bottom or the side. It's all by feel. With a little more clearance, I should make it.

My plan it to use a propane space heater to warm up the rubber cover on the heater core side and along the bottom crease. The heater core side will be the toughest to get in. I've tested the bottom crease of the new cover and it does flatten out nicely. So it should slide in and I'm thinking i need to "pin" it while it cools off. Put something like a pick in the bottom screws holes so it goes back into shape while cooling.

Thoughts and ideas are always welcome...

Thanks,
    Taz

98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera

I removed the coils then took of the top plate that's on the blower motor then it came our easily

Quote Originally Posted by 98Geldog View Post
    I removed the coils then took of the top plate that's on the blower motor then it came our easily
    Thanks, I did try that.
    Still came up short.
    I've been eye balling one of those electric winches. I'd probably get into trouble though.

taz

I'm happy to report that replacing the HVAC cover with the engine in place is possible.

HVAC Cover15_resize.JPG

It's not advisable unless your a nut like myself.
    Taz

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    I'm happy to report that replacing the HVAC cover with the engine in place is possible.

Attachment 103810

It's not advisable unless your a nut like myself.
    Taz
    --------------------
    nice - clean install - GOOD JOB

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Interesting. I think you are the first to confirm it can be done. Congrats. I can only imagine what a bitch it must have been. You might consider a write-up in the Tech Tips forum.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Interesting. I think you are the first to confirm it can be done. Congrats. I can only imagine what a bitch it must have been. You might consider a write-up in the Tech Tips forum.
    Id love to see one

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I plan on doing that when I get some time.
    Right now I want to get everything on the car in good order so my weekends are booked.
    taz

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

No rush and thanks in advance.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Wow nice to hear and see! Sometime I will have to take a picture of the repair to mine for comparison

I think there have been a few people to change it before, I remember a few years ago when it was still a bit easier to find them still intact used there were a few people here who did it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.