1976 Seville problems - Germany - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1976 Seville problems - Germany in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; does somebody have an wiring diagram from the ECU? In my workshop manual is only the chassis Plan in there...
    Markus_E is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 Seville

Re: 1976 Seville Problems

does somebody have an wiring diagram from the ECU? In my workshop manual is only the chassis Plan in there

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: 1976 Seville Problems

I never stop in this section because nobody has an original Seville. You say yours only runs 1 second but it does run longer with something sprayed in there? That does sound like a fuel problem. I had to replace a key switch on my 76 Seville because it would start for 1 sec but wouldn't stay running. If I held the switch in between on and start it would stay running. It's kinda like your problem so I mentioned it.

Other problems I had was my feet would hit the ECU and knock a plug loose and the car would die out on the road. I also had a splice in my green wire going to the fuel tank that caused me some problems until I found it. My printer is on the blink at the moment but I may be able to scan you some diagrams after the weekend. Feel free to pm me next week if I forget.

Re: 1976 Seville problems - Germany

cool thank you for that.
    I wait for my fuel tester and vacuum tester. Then i know if there is something with the fuel pressure.

I checked some things what i can do. The air and cooland sensors comes to the ecu, there is no open circuit.
    The voltage is okay on the ecu.
    when i turn by hand the throttle only the injektors on the red ciruit are clicking. Is that right? When i unplug the white circuit it start only on a few zylinders.

I havenīt my fuel pressure meter till no, so i canīt say if itīs right.

i make two videos maybe it helps. I can repeat that starting prozedure as many i wanīt. At the end i pump with the gas pedal and can, keep it a little run.
    the second video ist the test with the injektors. They clicking 21 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGKYM...ature=youtu.be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-Vo...ature=youtu.be

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Personally, I would make a video of a carburetor installation.

seok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9, 1979 Eldo Biarritz 5.7 Carbed!!

I ditched everything computer controlled and did the carb conversion on my 79 Eldorado (same olds 350/efi as yours) after i started getting issues. Easy, cheap, and very reliable now.

yes i know the conversion. Thats Plan b.

But now itīs a kind of ambition that i would get it to run.

okay i check the fuel pressure and the vacuum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-KgA...ature=youtu.be

should be okay i think. Tomorrow i look inside the ECM and when there is nothing. Then i give up and i make the conversion.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Hey Markus, how is the project coming along?
    If you need good Cadillac parts in Germany quickly you can check out Winterwerber in Unnau. You pay for it though. If you have time and nerves (due to customs) you can check out US stores like opgi.com.

Where in Germany are you?

yes i know the Winterwerber but not the opgi. thanks for that.

Iīm out from the Area near to Stuttgart Reutlingen.

Know itīs time to get the Parts for the conversion. I give up. I checked everything itīs all okay and i donīt find the problem in the car.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

There's some good used stuff on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-Pe...2&vxp=mtr#shId

Ships international too.

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup

gruss nach d aus mex!

i think you narrowed it down already a lot, let's resume:

fuel pressure ok, also the moment she dies. keeps running on break cleaner, but not on fuel, therefore ignition works.

it's only three things, air, gas and spark to make an engine run. air and spark are there, since she'd run on brake cleaner.

so fuel is what's missing.

if you have pressure on the rail (seems like that regarding your pressure check video) then there's only one thing left: injectors and their signal.

try to get a signal tester (noid light), plug it into one of the injector plugs and see if the signal disappears at the moment she's dying.

i'm almost positive this is gonna happen. this would mean the ecm shuts off the injectors and you'd have to check on the sensors that are involved, like crankshaft etc. also the ecm itself might be the problem then.

hope this helps, my personal opinion is that carbs are great, as is an original old car, i'd rather stick with the injection...

---
    edit

found this on the autozone homepage, it's for a 79 eldo efi, but might be of some help:

0900c152801c86a1.gif

There is the problem. i checked the sensors direkt at the ecm and there are all correct.

The only thing i donīt know the parameter for the throttle sensor. The speedsensor get the right voltage and with the ohm meter i hear it switching when the enginge cranks.
    i get a good wiring diagram for the seville. And there are no more sensors for that car. Only air, engine coolant, throttle and the speed sensor. Maybe i overlock something like an oil pressure switch or an anti theft device.

But i have no idea what.

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup

regarding the tps, normally there are 3 wires to check for the resistance, one should give 5V steady (talking generic here, check out the voltage you actually got), one ground and one that gives back the resistance signal to the ecm. what you'd want to do is check (sensor plugged in) for a continuous voltage drop (or raise, depending on where you're measuring) througout the whole movement of the throttle. it's better to check voltage than resistance, so you actually also check the wiring at a time. example: measuring voltage between two random wires, throttle closed: 5V. then you open a tad, 4.8V, go on opening and voltage decreases steadily, until 0.2V at wot. that means your tps is working. if there are jumps or no voltage drops or raises between any of the cables, but at one of them you get 5V, then your sensor is screwed. if you don't get voltage at any of the contacts, then your wiring or the ecm has to be checked.

now, since there are 5 wires to the tps in the diagram. i imagine that two of them are there for an idle switch, so with closed throttle there should be a closed contact between two of the 5 wires, most likely sitting next to each other.

just play around a bit, you'll get to it...

on the other hand there probably is one more sensor in the system, just not too obvious: a camshaft position sensor in the distributor, used for ignition and injection. the ecm needs a signal on where the engine is positioned at in order to inject at the right moment and to have a rpm signal. since there is no crankshaft sensor, it must be the cam sensor in the distributor.

i'd forget about the other sensors at this time, none of them is essential to your current problem. once running they come into play for mixture adjustments, but right at startup they don't.

seok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9, 1979 Eldo Biarritz 5.7 Carbed!!

Regarding the sensors Markus you got it right, there are no more on these cars. No crankshaft or cam sensor either. There is.only a speed sensor that is connected to the ESS (elect spark select) that regulated timing advance/retard during certain speeds to help with mpg. It is essentially separate from the ecu and efi for these cars. This system is analog and completely different than the way we know efi on vehicles post 80s.
    Just s thought, have you checked that there are zero vacuum leaks in the hose that routes to the MAP sensor inside the efi? It is common for them to cause problems and sometimes failures in the ecu if they are leaking or disconnected during operation. Im on my phone so I didnt read all the prior replies so forgive me if you already checked that.

Matt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.