New motor now trans not shifting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New motor now trans not shifting in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi i have a 02 cadillac seville sts i just got a new motor put in with 86,000 miles on ...
    Slicksts02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville Sts

New motor now trans not shifting

Hi i have a 02 cadillac seville sts i just got a new motor put in with 86,000 miles on it..i start driving it then it cuts off(bad mass air flow plug) so i resolve that then i notice my speedometer is not working now and also my car wont shift out of 1st gear..is anyone familiar with this problem? your input is very appreciated thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LittleNo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

Re: New motor now trans not shifting

I'm pretty sure you have a DTC stored in your PCM, so let us know and we can help.

My guess would be the VSS, not connected or broken wire. It's located on the transmission at right drive shaft

thank you i appreciate that im goin to look into that..i looked up the price on one..is this job alot of labor to replace?

LittleNo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

well, it's a bit tricky when you do it at home, but I think someone who can replace the motor is able to do that job in 30 mins.

But I wouldn't be so fast to replace the sensor, they're not common for going bad, and when you replaced the motor you had a lot wiring stuff to handle, so it makes sense that you just forgot the sensor connector or broke the harness somewhere else

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Ground wire loose - and there are a bunch of them. You'll need a GM service manual to find all the locations, boxes and bolts. (Some collected grounds go to a black box with bolt lug connector. One or more wiring connectors in the box may be loose/corroded.)

First places are the transmission umbilical cord connector and the ground close by where it exits the transmission case. Next comes any engine-to-body grounds.

Loose/missing grounds are NOT uncommon after an engine removal/swap job.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary
    New problems right after the engine replacement always seems to be wiring issues. The chance of the sensor just "gone bad" during the repair is slim.

so should i start with the sensors on the transmission and go from there?

----------

so if the chance is slim should i just check for bad wiring or replace the trans?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You need to get any trouble codes from your car's built-in code reader/scanner/memory. You can do it all right from the DIC and DIC control buttons.

Check transmission sensors ???? Except for the VSS they're all hidden inside the transmission case.

Slim chance that the Internal Mode Switch (on the valve body) is bad. A code would be set.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.