03 SLS code P 0507 idle is goofy/ bad gas mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 03 SLS code P 0507 idle is goofy/ bad gas mileage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've read on this site that the plenum gasket cause these issues that is the only code i get also ...
    stilltippin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 seville sls

03 SLS code P 0507 idle is goofy/ bad gas mileage

I've read on this site that the plenum gasket cause these issues that is the only code i get also when i sprayed tb cleaner by the gasket it caused the idle to change just want to make sure its that gasket before i get the parts and tackle that job this weekend

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 03 sls code p0507 idle is goofy/ bad gas mileage

check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -

if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
    ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -
    -------------------
    a torn/split plenum boot usually splits in the groove at the bottom -

the defective plenum boot will usually set a P0171 AND P0174 codes -

P0507 - is HIGH IDLE SPEED -
    while a vacuum leak could affect the idle speed -
    I would check the Idle Air Control valve for a buildup of carbon -
    also check the throttle body for a buildup of crud -
    it could actually prevent the throttle plate from closing -

0507 is all that comes up and when i sprayed that tb cleaner toward s the bottom of the gasket idle fluctuated is the only way to check the plenum gasket is to take the intake off?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by stilltippin View Post
    0507 is all that comes up and when i sprayed that tb cleaner toward s the bottom of the gasket idle fluctuated is the only way to check the plenum gasket is to take the intake off?
    -----------------------
    is the only way to check the plenum gasket is to take the intake off?
    NO - run your finger around and under it -
    like I said - it USUALLY splits in the groove - at the bottom -

but if P0507 is your only code - the plenum boot is probably NOT your main issue -

Iac valve is that where i should start don't have a scan tool any suggestions on how to test it myself should i just replace it

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 03 SLS code P 0507 idle is goofy/ bad gas mileage

You don't need a "scan tool" - your car has its own built-in code reader/scanner/memory. Study the correct model/year section of the sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes". practice, write down all codes found and whether each is Current or History. return to the sticky and open the link with "obd2" in the address - this takes you to a master Index with links to definitions of all P,B,C, and u codes. Decipher any codes found and post it all here. Also, read the entire page along with the Master Index.

Your engine uses an Idle Air Control solenoid and plunger, not an ISC. The IAC is a high-dollar item to replace for no reason. Disconnect the electrical connector, remove the 2 screws (or bolts - models vary) and pull the IAC out of its bore. Clean the top hat and bore with throttlebody cleaner and lint-free rags. Smear a drop of engine oil on the O-ring and install the IAC.

Poor gas mileage may be caused by a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator - it's on the right (rear) run of the fuel rail - a domed unit with a vacuum line attached. Carefully remove the vacuum line - any raw fuel in there ? if so, replace the FPR. Your car should get 12 - 16 mpg city traffic, 16 - 20 mpg suburban, 27 mpg long run highway trips. 87 octane Top Tier gasolines. DO NOT use snake oils or magic potions in the fuel or oil.

For a look at your plenum, the part numbers, and every piece associated with its replacement, look in my picture albums. Click my username, open the profile. Left column, 2 albums, 6 pages of stuff for our cars. For techniques and procedures, search through the pages of Discussions: Cadillac Tech Tips and use Google - "cadillac forums seville plenum replacement" or "cadillac forums seville intake manifold plenum duct".

You might want to read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up ^^^ in the top black bar. There is info there that you NEED.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.