Leaking sunroof
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Leaking sunroof in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, my car gave me an early Christmas present; water under the back seat, traveiling via the sunroof drain tube, ...
    Eldorado guy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '80 Eldorado, '50 Chrysler Windsor, '92 Ford F-250 7.3 4x4

Leaking sunroof

So, my car gave me an early Christmas present; water under the back seat, traveiling via the sunroof drain tube, behind the driver side sail panel. With help from previous posts on the forum, I narrowed it down to sunroof drains, earlier today. I tried running .08 weed wacker line through the tube. That didn't solve it. I resorted to pulling the whole back seat, removing the seat belt retractor, removing the sail panel, and pulling the head liner back slightly to see what's going on. Water is draining out of the drain tube fine, and it isn't leaking around the nipple at all. I even pulled the line off and rodded out the drain hole at the channel. However, around the corner towards the back about three inches from the drain itself), it's leaking right off a zip tie.

If the drain isn't plugged, why is it leaking? I can see that I'm probably going to be dropping the whole headliner to fix this (oh joy), but I don't understand why it's leaking of the tube isn't plugged at all (the end in the trunk is clean, I can blow air by mouth through it easily).

This is a bad leak and I can't let the car back out into the rain unitl it's fixed. The Eldorado won't smog and the Chrysler is a 4000 lb colender itself, so I'm out of vehicles. Any ideas?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: Leaking sunroof

What if you plug that one drain till you have the time to fix it?, then if possible park your car to direct the flow to the 3 remaining drains,when I was having same problem with my 92 eldo I didn't plug drain, but always parked the drain higher than the rest of them. Worth a shot.

I think I may have found a blockage. I rodded it out, but the car is going to sit until tomorrow when I'll reassemble everything. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Dan

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

When I had this problem I discovered that the rear lines were smashed by the electric panel behind the rear seat. This happened at the factory. Seems the first owner noticed that it "rained" inside the car, but was unable to get it fixed. I did fix the problem, but since the tubes were once crushed, I am apprehensive every time the car gets wet. I have had no problems since, but when you have 5 gallons of water under and in the carpet, and the leather in the back seat gets damaged from water, you are cautious. I have other posted in my user name describing this problem and a good fix.

Lifer,

funny that you mention that. While I reassembled the car yesterday morning, I noticed a wiring harness had that line crushed at least 50%. It was still flowing a pretty good stream even like that, but I resituated things a little and I'll hope for the best. I haven't noticed any more water down the pillar, so hopefully it'll stay that way. I'll have to look at your posts on this and learn something.

Thanks,
    Dan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.