82 eldorado spongy brake issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 82 eldorado spongy brake issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My issue is spongy brakes.I have replaced the rubber hoses .they've been bled multiple times still poor braking..this car has ...
    WWlll is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My issue is spongy brakes.I have replaced the rubber hoses .they've been bled multiple times still poor braking..this car has four wheel disk brakes,,,can anyone help me out with this one of many issues .pads are new.Brake lite comes on but goes out after the pedal is. Depresses a couple of times.I replaced the map sensor this morning,,disconnected the battery cleared the codes..started her up,and got code 52,,but I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal otherwise she'd stall..any ideas on my brake problem. This is 82 eldorado with a 4100 or 4.1 engine..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

WWlll is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My issue is spongy brakes.I have replaced the rubber hoses .they've been bled multiple times still poor braking..this car has four wheel disk brakes,,,can anyone help me out with this one of many issues .pads are new.Brake lite comes on but goes out after the pedal is. Depresses a couple of times.I replaced the map sensor this morning,,disconnected the battery cleared the codes..started her up,and got code 52,,but I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal otherwise she'd stall..any ideas on my brake problem. This is 82 eldorado with a 4100 or 4.1 engine..

83 eld.2.jpg

83 eld.3.jpg

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1999 BMW 740 Il. 2005 Jag XK8, 1988 Mercedes Benz 300 SE

Re: 82 eldorado spongy brake issue

It's common for the rear caliper pistons to seize from lack of parking brake use. Every time it's used, the piston should ratchet out to take up the pad wear clearance. Jack a rear wheel up off the ground and while someone holds down the brake pedal, see if you can rotate the back tire. If you can, the rear calipers are not gripping the rotors. If this proves to be true, the best repair is rear caliper replacement with rebuilt ones. There are levers on the rear calipers that are rotated forward every time the parking brake cables move. Applying then releasing the parking brake enables a slight unscrewing of the piston within it's bore thereby decreasing the clearance between the pad and the rotor surface. I would bet you've been stopping the car with the front brakes a long time. When I wrote service repairs on these Eldo's and Sevilles as well, I would apply the parking brake and the brake pedal at the same time in the service drive. If, when put in gear, the car moved forward, I knew it needed rear calipers. Some will say you can adjust the clearance by removing the rear cables and moving this lever back and forth by hand until the clearance decreases but in my experience this has about a 10% success rate. These pistons would seize when the car was 5 years old, let alone 25 years! After you get the calipers on, post back on this same thread and I'll walk you thru the proper parking brake adjustment which is critical to proper function.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Why is this posted twice? and why isn't it in the Eldorado/ Seville section? or at least the brakes/ suspension section.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS - 67,500 miles, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD

Good question - it's in the wrong forum. Off to the Seville/Eldorado forums, and his duplicate threads merged.

WWill, Please do not start duplicate threads or post in the wrong forums. Thanks.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

If your pedal is going to the floor and light is coming on and you're NOT losing fluid my money is on the master cylinder. If it has been changed? did you bench bleed it and was it the proper application.

eddie262a is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Eldorado

ExclamationRe: 82 eldorado spongy brake issue

Hi all!
    Yes I know this thread is several years old - but the spongy brakes issue is still a popular issue (well at least at my house it is!)

Problem car: 1979 Eldorado Biarritz.
    Current status:
    - I installed ALL new rear brakes lines, new calipers, and new brake pads. Parking brake cables and rear rotors replaced 10k miles ago. Rear brakes were bled 2x. Car will stop but brake pedal is mushy, goes almost to the floor.
    - If I HOLD the parking brake ON while driving, the brake pedal is not as mushy and pedal does not go to floor, and I can feel stronger braking action.
    - If I try to hold the car from rolling with just the parking brake, the car rolls forward easily.
    - If I jack the rear of car up and spin the the rear wheels they spin freely (little to no drag).
    - If I remove the wheels and disconnect the parking brake cables, and rotate the caliper-mounted P/B lever forward, then the caliper/pads grabs the rotor and I can't spin the rotor.
    - I removed the P/B lever on one side and attempted to advance its' clocking relative to the P/B adjust mechanism nut/bolt but there isn't sufficient clearance to do so.
    - Conclusion: At rest, the caliper pistons are not extended sufficiently to take up the clearance between the pads and the rotor.

Earlier in this thread CarNut offered to share the secret to adjusting the parking brake cables. Does the offer still stand? LOL
    Any other advice on how to resolve this issue is MOST appreciated. Regards, Ed in Maryland (P.S. my user name used to be eddie262 and I've posted SEVERAL Technical How-To articles, but this issue has me stumped (even though I am familiar with this braking system - it's my second car with this rear brake system.)

smokuspollutus is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1984 Eldorado Biarritz

With the car in a drive gear so the brake release does not allow the pedal to stay locked down, repeatedly pump the parking brake pedal.

Assuming the rear caliper inner pad is located correctly on the depressions on the pistons then you should be able to verify the pads grip the rotor by moving the park brake lever about an inch at the top of the lever which equates to about a quarter of an inch at the lever pivot point. The "bump" on the inner pads fit into the recesses on the inner pistons. Adjusting the cables to the rear calipers requires the turning of the cable adjuster till the levers just move away from the cast in lever rests on the caliper body. Once they just move away, relax the adjuster till they return to the rest. That way the cables have no slack and the pistons are free to ratchet as the parking brake is set. I've seen many inner pads not installed correctly in relation to the depressions in the pistons to the bumps on the inner pads. And many park brake cables adjusted too short, not allowing the lever to come to rest once released. This is explained in the factory service manual as well. Like any sliding caliper, the pins must be lubed to allow the caliper to move freely in/out.
    eddie262a likes this.

On an 82 thru 85 the park brake pedal requires no pumping to set it. The later E body cars requires at least 3 pumps to set. I believe this was changed to make sure the pistons did rotate.
    eddie262a likes this.

SmileRe: 82 eldorado spongy brake issue

Hey CarNut! Thank you for the advice! I will double check this evening:

- that the "bump" on the inner pad fits into the recess on the piston (fortunately I knew about that fitment when installing the new pads.)
    - verify that the pads grip the rotor when the park brake lever is moved about an inch (actually I did that already and the result is YES, the pads grip the rotor.)
    - lubricate the cables at all appropriate spots, and then adjust the cables for just-noticeable-clearance from the cast-in lever rest.
    - relax the cable adjuster to allow the park brake lever to return to the cast-in lever rest.
    - I will also lubricate the slider pins to ensure free movement of the caliper.

And also thanks to SmokusPollutus , I will again try the multiple pumping of the parking brake pedal (though I already did 100 strokes yesterday with zero results.)

Stay tuned for further updates!

When adjusted correctly, holding both the parking brake and brake pedal down in gear then slowly releasing the brake pedal, the car should "sink" in the rear and remain stationary. Even with proper leverage at all four wheels, the pedal will never feel hard. Meaning that once stopped, you can still move the pedal down about an inch. In some cases resurfacing the rotor to remove the glaze can improve the feel depending on the pad composition. My biggest gripe on rear calipers in these cars is the use of hard metal lines to the calipers instead of flex hoses!
    eddie262a likes this.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

I'm afraid of the emergency cables rusting and not releasing once put on. All my 79 Eldo brake lines
    have been replaced with non rusting stainless or copper-nickel, and the 4 hoses. The calipers are the
    3rd set. When the car is up for an oil change, the arms on the rear caliper can be rocked in the direction
    of the cable pull and achieve adjustment. Bruce Roe
    eddie262a likes this.

Gentlemen!

We have lift off! Or rather, stoppage!

- VERIFIED: that the "bump" on the inner pad fits into the recess on the piston (fortunately I knew about that fitment when installing the new pads.)
    - VERIFIED: that the pads grip the rotor when the park brake lever is moved about an inch (actually I did that already and the result is YES, the pads grip the rotor.)
    - VERIFIED/DONE: lubricate the cables at all appropriate spots, and then adjust the cables for just-noticeable-clearance from the cast-in lever rest.
    - VERIFIED/DONE: relax the cable adjuster to allow the park brake lever to return to the cast-in lever rest.
    - VERIFIED/DONE I will also lubricate the slider pins to ensure free movement of the caliper.

- DONE: ANOTHER 50 STROKES AFTER LUBING THE CABLES AND THE CALIPER SLIDER PINS. And also thanks to SmokusPollutus , I will again try the multiple pumping of the parking brake pedal (though I already did 100 strokes yesterday with zero results.)

Car stops straight and smoothly; parking brake holds car when activated and car idling in D or R. Pedal doesn't sink too far toward floor. All good!

Notes on what I did:

- Cable adjusting requires FINESSE! Even half a turn on the cable adjusting nut makes the difference between p/b lever resting/not resting on the cast-in lever stops.
    - Lubing the cable adjuster with spray lube AND lubing the metal-armored cable at the caliper itself made a noticeable difference in adjusting accuracy and easy of p/b pedal operation.
    - I did find the anti-rattle spring on the inner shoe of the R/R bake was slightly misaligned and was actually tugging the inner pad away from the rotor - fixed that.
    - The 3/16 in. copper alloy brake tubing is SO EASY to work with for DIY mechanics - I highly recommend it! www.surrauto.com/ultrabend
    - Next up: stainless steel braided hoses on front and new calipers on front (I believe both are original).

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!!!
    Ed in Maryland

ultrabend.jpg

hoses and calipers.jpg
    carnut likes this.

Gentlemen:
    My detailed reply posted was not posted by the admins. Suffice to say that lubing the cable, and finessing the cable adjustments to allow for p/b levers to return to the cast-in stops made a positive difference. Parking brake now holds the car while idling in D or R. Next up is new front calipers, new stainless braided front hoses, and new front pads. Thanks to CarNut and SmokusPollutus for your assistance!
    carnut likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.