03 STS LED mirror signals installation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 03 STS LED mirror signals installation in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Tackling a small project to install sequential turn signals on my mirrors (red ones from ijdm) havent done anything yet... ...
    blackonblack79 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts

03 STS LED mirror signals installation

Tackling a small project to install sequential turn signals on my mirrors (red ones from ijdm) havent done anything yet... waiting for the part to come in, but in the mean time id like to know what guage wires to use to tap into my turn signals, also is there a ground wire i can easily tap into behind the mirror housing without using an extension?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: 03 sTs led mirror signals installation

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack79 View Post
    Tackling a small project to install sequential turn signals on my mirrors (red ones from ijdm)....
    Is this a type of LED strip that is attached to the glass with double-sided tape?

If so, maybe you are not aware that GM quality turn signal mirror glass (with built in LEDs) is available from GM parts counters or salvage yards that will fit your mirror housings exactly. However; the LEDs do not operate sequentially.
    ....in the mean time id like to know what guage wires to use to tap into my turn signals
    Eighteen (18) gauge wire is more than enough; I used 16 gauge stranded hook up wire.
    ....also is there a ground wire i can easily tap into behind the mirror housing without using an extension?
    Not sure what you mean by extension. Chassis ground is available behind your mirror glass for the heating element.

This is not what you called a "small project" no matter if you install GM type glass or add something to the outside of your existing glass. Been there, done that with installing Deville mirror glass in a Seville mirror housing.

tx jim,

yes i believe its double sided, either way ill have to run the wires to the signals and personally like the sequential better...
    so i take chassis ground is black on both left and right side? (amatuer to all this but not afraid to give it a go) and for the signals i believe the wires are on the right side so run i gotta run the wire from the left mirror to the right bundle of wires? or is there a spot on the left side i can tap into?

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack79 View Post
    ....so i take chassis ground is black on both left and right side?
    Pure black wires are always chassis ground; black with a different color trace might be something else.
    ....and for the signals i believe the wires are on the right side so run i gotta run the wire from the left mirror to the right bundle of wires?
    Yes. Both turn signal wires run to the rear of the vehicle in the bundle under the RF door sill.
    ....or is there a spot on the left side i can tap into?
    No. The easiest way is to run a wire inside the car from the RF door sill bundle to the LF door.

ALL of which is easier to say than to do. This is NOT a "small project""!

Txx for the help jim, i trust u, it def wont be a small project but i look forward to the reward at the end of it all...ill post up some pics here or a vid when im done..

You can confirm this with a voltmeter (and I would do that); in the RF door sill bundle, the RH turn signal is a dark blue wire.
    The LH turn signal is a light blue wire.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

I would advise the OP to use the GM mirrors (available on Deville), they come with the turn signal LED incorporated and looks 1.000.000 times better than some stick on aftermarket stuff. I believe you can find some pictures of JimD's car, it looks great.
    Mirror glass is 100% compatible with yours and should be fairly easy and cheap to find on wreckyards. But that's just my opinion.

vipster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    I would advise the OP to use the GM mirrors (available on Deville), they come with the turn signal LED incorporated and looks 1.000.000 times better than some stick on aftermarket stuff. I believe you can find some pictures of JimD's car, it looks great.
    Mirror glass is 100% compatible with yours and should be fairly easy and cheap to find on wreckyards. But that's just my opinion.
    Where can I find a decently priced set of those GM mirrors?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 03 STS LED mirror signals installation

Talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac, over there >>>>>>>>>>

(and JimD or N*Caddy might know.............)

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

I know for a fact that Megacity (wreckyard) here near Toronto has a dark gray '03 DTS rearended but otherwise MINT everything, including the mirrors. I am not sure what is your location (most likely not anywhere near), and I am not sure if Megacity does online stuff (probably yes), but there are hundreds of wreckyards and chances are you have at least one or two near you.
    Ebay is your best bet, and if you find the mirrors in your color you save the money for the body shop (online is very unlikely to find just the glas part)
    Unfortunately you are looking for stuff that people brake allot (headlamps, taillamps, mirrors) so do expect to pay more than some part that nobody looks for (say some bracket underneath the seat and similar stuff that generally doesn’t brake). Also these particular mirrors are somehow in “hot demand” because this upgrade is fairly popular among ‘98-’03 owners.

Quote Originally Posted by vipster View Post
    Where can I find a decently priced set of those GM mirrors?
    Salvage yards. Look for a 2003 - 2005 Deville. All you need is the glass.

The glass from a 2006+ DTS "might" also fit but I cannot confirm that.

03 sts passenger door sill panel removal

starting up my project tomorrow, and want to access the wires under the passenger door sill that runs along the carpet, havent tried to pull it out yet and def dont want to break anything, so if anyones done it pls let me know so i can reference back here in the moring if i run into any problems tx in advance

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The plastic sills just pull up, be gentle with the ones furthest forward, the plastic holding the retainer is very thin.

Pretty much all of the wiring is inside plastic "tunnels", one on each side of the car. You'll have to take the seat out on the side you're working on, and fold back the carpet. Or, instead of wrestling with the molded carpet while you're trying to work, it may be better to just remove both seats, the console, and carpeting, all together.

vipster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Seville STS

thanks, I shall be on the lookout.

need help with door panel removal 4 screws out

so i got the 4 screws out 2 at pull handle, one at bottom rear corner and the one behind the chrome latch, im trying to pull up and out but i feel like the triangle/trim for mirror is blocking me from taking the panel off whats the correct way to do this bull snap lol dont want to bust those clips off

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.