What to look for next?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, What to look for next? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay my 92 STS 4.9 is doing somethign really really weird. It will randomly not start. Does not seem to ...
    Crudsturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville

What to look for next?

Okay my 92 STS 4.9 is doing somethign really really weird. It will randomly not start. Does not seem to be theft system related. What will happen is you will turn the key security light goes out all dash lights, everything else functions but no crank. I tried the starter enable relay which I found to be rewired in the car and at first the ground was in a horrible place. So I reattached it to a solid spot and for a month not one issue.

Today yet again it wouldn't crank, the only remedy it seems is to let the car sit and eventually it will start right up and even starts right back up when you cut it off. The theft system works because one of my girls got fingernail polish on the chip and it clearly displayed "Starting Disabled For 3 Minutes". This problem shows no signs of that. Randomly I will have to hold the key in the crank postion for a few seconds for it to start cranking.

Is there something that maybe when hot is causing this? Possible way to bypass all of this and straight wire it all?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: What to look for next?

Start with the basics. Load test the battery to confirm its OK, then clean the cables where they attach to the battery. A load test will verify the battery's ability to handle a big load like a starter trying to rotate an engine. You say yourself, the theft deterrent system is working correctly so why wire around it?

Confirmed battery is okay, confirmed vats is working properly, and it seems all tests go back to the starter relay circuit. That is what I want to wire around.

With that said I am using my FSM to diagnose all of this. It happened to me a month ago I don't know now if it was coincidence or just it had sat long enough but I jumped pins 1 and 4 on the starter enable relay and it fired right up. The FSM said if that worked to check the ground and thats when I found it connected to the stud of the back seat and rerouted it to a better ground. And until yesterday it hadn't shown any signs of the problem again. The worst part is both times it has left me stranded is without any testers so I am not able to find what is or isnt working when it messes up. Maybe one day it will do it when I'm home.......

Meant to post solution to this, turns out the starter solenoid which even though has a heat shield is right by the exhaust manifold was getting hot and the contacts were stuck open until it cooled down.

SliceOfLife is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS, all black--250,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Crudsturbo View Post
    Meant to post solution to this, turns out the starter solenoid which even though has a heat shield is right by the exhaust manifold was getting hot and the contacts were stuck open until it cooled down.
    Whoda thought! Better late than never, Crudsturbo!

So lo and behold after starter replaced it happened again turns out after taping on the nuetral start safety switch she fired right up. Will be changing it real soon here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.