Rapidly blinking turn signal indicators on IPC (buzzing sound)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Rapidly blinking turn signal indicators on IPC (buzzing sound) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm having a problem that has been getting progressively worse. My turn signal indicators on the instrument panel cluster have ...
    rducote is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ETC & 2000 Eldorado ESC

Rapidly blinking turn signal indicators on IPC (buzzing sound)

I'm having a problem that has been getting progressively worse. My turn signal indicators on the instrument panel cluster have been blinking and making that "clicking" sound more and more rapidly lately. In fact, today when I signaled a turn the rapid clicking noise has gotten so fast that it almost sounds like a buzz now. The voltage reading on the IPC was at 14.2V when this occurred. Later when it went down to about 13.8V the clicking noise slowed down a little but not much. This is affecting both the right and left indicators on the IPC. I even checked the rear of my car to see if a bulb has burnt out but the rear tail lights blink normally. Any ideas what this could be? At first I thought maybe the IPC was getting too much voltage, but I believe 13.8-14.2 is pretty normal. The only DTC set is one for low refrigerant and one for a communication error with the heater/ac programmer (I forgot the exact numbers). Nothing that seems related to the IPC though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

97EldETC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado ETC
    There may be a short somewhere. That happened to our Outlook. A short in he rear light causing the signal to flash fast every so often.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Rapidly blinking turn signal indicators on IPC (buzzing sound)

Might check the bulb sockets to see if there is any rust in them.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The IPC has no link what so ever with the turning signal other than the small indicator lamps.
    The turning signal (on/off & click) operation is done by a small flasher relay situated underneath the driver's side dashboard. There is a kick panel (with a light on it) the flasher is located on the left edge away from the break pedal. It will be visible once you remove the kick panel (2 or 3 self-tapping screws).
    This is the item you are looking for:

Note the metal clip, it is what hold the relay moving about and you will find it wrapped in a bit of foaming (I believe dark gray).
    The flasher is designed with a "safety" feature to click faster if one of the 4 (yeah 4) light bulbs is burned (or not making contact in the socket). You have 3 bulbs in the back in the taillight (for each side) and 1 in front. Either one will trigger the hyper flash.
    If you are sure that ALL bulbs are lighting up then you go after the flasher (is quite inexpensive and requires no skill to be replaced).

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Walk around the car again, key on, engine off and one side then the other blinking. You most likely will find either a bulb inop or dim as its blinking. Common for corroded sockets causing hi resistance resulting in a rapid flasher operation.

Well, guys, I sincerely appreciate all the advice you all have given me. Turns out though that the problem seems to have went away on its own. My turn signal indicators on the IPC started operating normally and continue to do so for the last few days before I had a chance to even look into it. I see that all my lights are still good. I guess I'll be dealing with the problem again soon though since I doubt it's really gone for good. Will bookmark this page for when that happens.

Update:

The problem came back and I checked for burnt bulbs. One of the turn signals bulbs (size 2057) pulled out of the base of the bulb and wasn't well connected but still working. I changed the bulb and the turn signals were still blinking rapidly. I proceeded to R&R the turn signal flasher. My signals finally started working correctly again. Thanks for the advice everyone, especially you N*Caddy!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.