With friends like these.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, With friends like these..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Me and a couple of friends went out earlier tonight. When we got back to my house, I pulled into ...
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

With friends like these.....

Me and a couple of friends went out earlier tonight. When we got back to my house, I pulled into my yard/private way, and got out of the car. We stood there talking, and for some reason (I don't even remember at this point), we needed light for a minute. I unlocked the car with the fob, and asked one of my friends to turn the lights on. He sat in the drivers seat, and turned them on. A minute or so later, I told him to turn them off, which he did. Then...

"How do I get this off?" He says. I walk over to the open drivers door, and he's fiddling with/pointing to the parking brake pedal. I didn't feel like crawling under the dash to find the little manual release lever. "Just start the car, put your foot on the brake, and put in in reverse or drive" I said (can you tell where this is going yet?).

I stood there, talking to my other friend, waiting for the one in the car to release the brake, and give me my keys back. My friend outside the car was holding my mastiff on his leash, and he (the dog) must have thought I was going to get in the car and leave, so he dragged my friend over to the car with him. Just as They get to where I'm standing, I hear the car start....... and almost immediately, the door hits me in the arm..... And keeps on going. Yup, the car is in reverse, and dragging me along with it.

DUDE! THE BRAKE, THE BRAKE!! HIT THE BRAKE!!! The car continued to accelerate. As I'm yelling at my friend, clutching onto the door so I don't get "sucked" under, I'm not thinking of what happened. My friend is significantly shorter than me, and could barely reach the pedals. When he pressed the brake, it was enough to trigger the shift interlock, but not enough to apply any braking force whatsoever. I also didn't realize that somehow, Sam's (my dog) leash, which was attached to his harness, AND wrapped around my friends arm, had gotten caught on the door. The 3 of us are now being dragged at about 10 miles an hour (my alley has a slight incline) towards the street. :hopeless:

About 10 or 15 yards into this "trip" the door lets go of the leash, which is good. But at about the same time, my right boot came off, which is bad..... when you're skiing backwards on a gravel road (Ever step on a Lego? Yeah, this was much worse). After about 20 yards, my friend in the car (who is panicking), manages to scoot forward enough to reach the brake, and LUCKILY, shut the car off..... Luckily, because at the same instant, my car hits, and plows over, a 4" steel pipe/barrier at the end of my alley, which was enough of a bump to knock him away from the pedals.

It was also enough of a bump to cause me to lose my now weakened grip on the top of the door. I go down, but grabbed the door pull (I think). As the car comes to a stop, we make it onto the street. And to add insult to injury, I lost my pants in the last 10' or so, and scraped my ass on the asphalt (no pun intended).

My car stopped about 5 or 6 feet from a parked car, so there was no "real" accident, but there's still damage. The rear bumper is, surprisingly, only scratched and slightly deformed where it came into contact with the pole. Luckily, the base of it was rusted enough that it kind of just "broke away". The bumper cover will still have to be replaced, but at least there's no structural damage (when I stood up and saw the pole on the ground, I was expecting telephone pole-like damage to the rear)

The worst part is the drivers door. It's misaligned pretty badly, and the "window frame" is bent away from the roof and pillar.

When my friend finishes his classes tomorrow, we're taking a ride to the body shop...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

97EldETC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado ETC
    Are you going to have him pay a the insurance premium? If that is covered by any miracle...

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Re: With friends like these.....

Man that sucks that's why you never let anyone have your keys. But i hope he pays for it or i would be pissed.

-Wes
    SliceOfLife and SliceOfLife like this.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

check all the screws under your rear quarters asap, the ones that hold the sides of the bumper on..... Mine got hit in the winter when it was parked and i didnt know it til the snow melted... it started to rust in the spring. It may look like there is no damage, but it will show later.

Funny... 2 weeks ago i sold a mint condition crimson drivers door....

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

You getting it fixed before or after the funeral?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Glad everyone is (relatively) OK. Only in CF - You need to write a book.............

The bumper's still firmly attached. I don't think the door is bent, just sprung. If anything, the window frame might be tweaked forward a bit.

No funeral planned yet.....Though I may have thought of beating him with the pole.

Sub, if only you knew. I need to write an encyclopedia.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I don't care who you are that's funny... pants coming off was the kicker. 10 seconds of pure hell I'm sure.
    I think we have a new definition for shit happens.
    You're lucky you didn't get hurt and glad it's minor damage considering.

mike5514 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97sls,06dts

Glad you are OK your friend was only doing what he was told. Have a couple of beers you will be talking about it for years.

Thanks for the story. Mike

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Glad everyone is (relatively) OK. Only in CF - You need to write a book.............

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    I don't care who you are that's funny... pants coming off was the kicker. 10 seconds of pure hell I'm sure.
    I think we have a new definition for shit happens.
    You're lucky you didn't get hurt and glad it's minor damage considering.
    i have to admit i was laughing threw the entire posting except for the part about when The doggie got dragged thats not fun or good
    but omg then i started laughing thre the rest again

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!! Glad it was no worse than a skinned ass and bruised ego.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I'm sure glad that vacuum brake release idea got discarded.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

WOW - glad no one got hurt -

like Thumper - I was worried about the DOG -

Quote Originally Posted by ThumperPup

i have to admit i was laughing threw the entire posting except for the part about when The doggie got dragged thats not fun or good
    but omg then i started laughing thre the rest again
    It wasn't funny when it happened, but yeah, reading through the post, it's hilarious. Two people and a dog, being dragged by a car, and knocking over a pole. All it needs is some Benny Hill music.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.