transmission cooler line question -2003 sts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, transmission cooler line question -2003 sts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My upper tranny cooler line that goes into the upper quick connect fitting of the radiator has play and is ...
    sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts

transmission cooler line question -2003 sts

My upper tranny cooler line that goes into the upper quick connect fitting of the radiator has play and is leaking (wiggles any direction) the quick connect is new it came with the radiator.yes I made sure its in all the way before putting the snap ring thing on the connector.does the metal line that goes in the quick connect get wore out ? Maybe the quick connect that came with the radiator is the wrong size,Idk but it wasn't leaking before I change the radiator.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

This is the upper cooler line, you can see someone cut the line and put a hose and clamp.just trying to figure out why the upper cooler line has play in it.
    ForumRunner_20120922_201600.png

jamie1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Re: transmission cooler line question -2003 sts

I can't see from the pic, but the upper fitting in the radiator of my son's '99 is held in by a spring clip. I'm ASSuming yours is the same. Move the rubber collar away from the fitting, (it covers a spring clip), use an awl, pick and/or a small screwdriver and lift the clip off of the fitting. The tube will now come out. Replace the 'O' ring, put the clip back on the fitting first, then 'pop' the tube back in. There is some play in the fitting/tube, it's not solid like the lower one that screws in.

Maybe that's the problem there isn't a plastic collar over the fitting.when when I took the cooler line off my old radiator I didn't see an o ring there was a washer with a rubber coating that the cooler line went through.

jamie1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03 View Post
    Maybe that's the problem there isn't a plastic collar over the fitting.when when I took the cooler line off my old radiator I didn't see an o ring there was a washer with a rubber coating that the cooler line went through.
    That's the one, rotate and push it back, away from the radiator. Underneath is the fitting and spring clip.

Yeah I got that part but I think when I had the tranny replace the guy cut my cooler line and lost the plastic retainer that goes over the quick connect.I might just buy a new cooler line that comes with the plastic retainer.maybe I didn't put the clip in right, cause it wasn't leaking before I changed the radiator and the plastic retainer thing wasnt over the connector then.anybody changed the upper tranny cooler line, how much of a pita is it to change?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

U changed radiator and trans? No reason to expect any leaks on line.

The leak started after I changed the radiator its leaking from the upper cooler line where it goes into the radiator.the cooler line that goes into the quick connect has some wiggle play.the line is in all of the way but still wiggles.i'm wondering if the quick connect that came with the radiator is the wrong size

What is this black piece on the upper cooler line.there is one on each side.also how much pressure should it take to push the line in the quick connect

ForumRunner_20120924_184705.png

Any ideas on the black plastic piece is on the cooler line on the pic

ForumRunner_20120925_133923.png

Had anyone changed the upper tranny cooler line , the one that connects to the top part of the radiator and wraps around to the back/right side of the tranny? Besides the air intake does anything else have to be removed? also is the supposed to be a bevel washer that goes on the end of the cooler line.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

That plastic piece goes over the "quick connect clip" so it doesn't pop out.

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981
    That plastic piece goes over the "quick connect clip" so it doesn't pop out.
    That's what I was thinking but this one looks different then the other plastic retainers I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by sts 03

That's what I was thinking but this one looks different then the other plastic retainers I've seen.
    Also isn't there some type of rubber washer that goes in the quick connect before the line goes in?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

No washers, just an O ring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.