Tested a AWD CTS yesterday
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Tested a AWD CTS yesterday in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was thinking about getting rid of my SLS and I took a CTS out yesterday. It wasn't the DI ...
    Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Tested a AWD CTS yesterday

I was thinking about getting rid of my SLS and I took a CTS out yesterday. It wasn't the DI but I don't think I could take that engine over the V8. It handled well and somehow the suspension was smoother. I was surprised at the suspension. I wish we could still get OEM struts and shocks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

Re: Tested a AWD CTS yesterday

U are posting comments about a cts in the Seville forum?

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Maybe he wants to hear from Seville owners on their thoughts of trading in his Seville for a cts?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

...Not able to get OEM struts/shocks?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Very different cars, but we all gotta move sometime.

What's so difficult about getting OEM 2002 SLS suspension components ?

cadi509 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    I drove a 06 ctsv a while back and didn't like how un comfortable it was or the lack of room it had..... But the power and handling sure was nice

I posted here for other Seville owners to see. If you have the passive suspension, original shocks and struts are no longer available. GM has some replacements that they sell but they aren't the same as the originals.

Definitely a different car. Noticeably less body roll, close to the E60 BMW. I didn't think the suspension would be as soft but it was pretty good. The car does feel a bit cramped, I don't like the v6 though. The torque is missed.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

If you really like your 2002 SLS why not just look for an '02, '03, or '04 with low mileage. They are around, there is one (an SLS) at a Honda dealer in Norfolk, Va with 44,000 miles on it, looks clean and they want $5500. for it.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

I totally agree on the engine! I tried DI version and I was disappointed too...

Age is catching up on my STS and I need to find a replacement, but I am not in rush and can wait a few more years!
    I test drove a 2012 CTS coupe, with DI 3.6L engine, 318HP and 275lb, and sports suspension, FE3 spring package I think. I was disappointed by the power of the car. I need to say that the car was and feels very heavy!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what type of downsizing is Cadillac doing that a mid-sized, cramped, new Cadillac weights almost as much as my big, comfortable, full-sized Cadillac?

Again, sorry for my ignorance, but what is the point of replacing a "torquey" V-8 with a "less tourqey" V-6 when their MPGs are very close?! EPA-estimated MPG for a CTS with DI 3.6L engine is 18 city/27 hwy, and this is very close to (if not exactly the same as) MPG of Y-series N* Cadillacs such as SLS.
    We give away torque and in return we get what?

As for suspension, CTS coupe was very uncomfortable. I didn't like it. But I think you have tried a luxury CTS, which has a totally different suspension system. But I am going to agree with you on the fact that the modern suspension systems can easily blow away our old systems. I rented a Buick Enclave two months ago, it had a regular 3.6L engine and the SUV was very sluggish. But suspension wise, WOW, that is what I can say! It's hard for me to confess, but the ride quality of the SUV was at least three times better than my Cadillac, and I have new struts/bushings on my STS!

The conclusion for me is that I will wait a little bit more until CTS V-2 depreciates enough to fall into my budget. V-1 is totally in my budget, but I do hate its cheap, ugly interior! V-2 has a better ride quality because of magna ride system, and it is a little bit roomier than V-1.

Orconn, I like MY car because I have maintained it. I just have an attachment to my specific car. If I do get something I want to get something that is more advanced than the 98 technology. Good suggestion though. For that price you are getting something very similar to an 09 Deville for a steal.

Ben, I feel the same way as you. I think the current CTS was part of a strategy and they planned on the XTS and ATS for some time. It just had to be the current size until those were available. I don't think interior space was way smaller, but the cockpit feel made me perceive that it was cramped. I get why they would go to a smaller engine, but they should have pushed the current HP ratings from the start. I don't want the same engine that is in a Chevy. I don't like the high rev to make the same HP and not even make the torque.

As our cars age I figured that others in the community would be in the same boat. I want to like the new Cadillacs, but once you start looking at used cars there are a lot more reasonably priced cars that are attractive. For instance I was looking at a CLS550 that is a whole other class of car, but a used one costs a touch more than the used CTS. Oh, and one other thing... I love the mirrors moving in reverse and the automatic steering wheel changes. I couldn't find a used CTS with those options. I wonder if they still exist. If they don't still offer it then shame on GM.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Yaemish View Post
    I love the mirrors moving in reverse and the automatic steering wheel changes. I couldn't find a used CTS with those options. I wonder if they still exist. If they don't still offer it then shame on GM.
    Base CTS is "too base", and the options you mentioned are not standard on a base CTS. You need to pay for them....
    Update: I checked Cadillac website and it seems that automatic mirror is a part of memory package which is standard on 2013 base CTS. But power, telescoping steering column is standard on premium CTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.