How Long will a 4.9 last?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, How Long will a 4.9 last? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was given a 91 Eldorado by my uncle many years ago (he abused and neglected the car). It had ...
    J.D.Hogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Eldorado, 1987 DeVille, (R.I.P), 1980 DeVille, (R.I.P.)

Question How Long will a 4.9 last?

I was given a 91 Eldorado by my uncle many years ago (he abused and neglected the car). It had 160,000 miles on it when i got it and at 162,000 the main bearing thump turned into a knock and it seized. I replaced the original motor with another 4.9 that had 115,000 miles. Since i have owned the car i have put $4,000 worth of parts on it. They were: struts, brakes, original factory radio, tires, power antenna, exhaust system, radiator, trunk pull down motor, hood shocks, and many other small things that could have been left go but I like my Cadillac perfect. Today it runs excellent and is near mint condition thanks to a lot of time, money, and elbow grease. Anyway... I just wondered if anybody has seen these motors go over 200,000 miles or not. I only put 700 miles a year on the car (It is only driven on weekends if the weather is nice) but I was just curious how long it would last. I change my oil every 3 months even though the oil has only a couple hundred miles on it. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Re: How Long will a 4.9 last?

250,000 miles is not unusual if they are maintained,oil changes and coolant changes done on a regular basis, mine has 160,000 and still runs great.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The 4.9 is one of Cadillacs most reliable engines. It should easily top 200K with regular oil & coolant changes.

J.D.Hogg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Eldorado, 1987 DeVille, (R.I.P), 1980 DeVille, (R.I.P.)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I look forward to driving it more often now that i don't have anything to worry about.

pocketpared is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado

Problem is, my understanding is the trans on my 4.9l 92 Eldo is only good for around 150K miles.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

There are mixed feelings on the transmissions. Some love them, others don't trust them.

If it's any consolation, I was able to tow a 3800lb 18.5' boat around the midwest with my '95. Sold it with almost 200k miles, original transmission still performing well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.