2003 SLS - "Fender Bender" - Insurance/Repair Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2003 SLS - "Fender Bender" - Insurance/Repair Help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had my 2003 SLS in a drive through line this morning and was backed into by a SUV. He ...
    JerLon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

2003 SLS - "Fender Bender" - Insurance/Repair Help

I had my 2003 SLS in a drive through line this morning and was backed into by a SUV. He is at fault and that shouldn't be an issue.

My SLS has 112,500 miles and is in perfect condition inside and out (or, was prior to the accident). This summer I had a significant amount of preventative maintenance done (about $2,000 - All belts, hoses, pulleys...).

From what I could see, the damage was as follows: front bumper (just scraped and some gouges in the top of it), hood/grill crinkled up unto the engine, radiator leaking and I could hear it, both headlights cracked.

I am currently in a rental. We both have Geico insurance. They are currently covering the rental. Does anyone have any advice? Is it likely to be totaled?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2003 SLS - "Fender Bender" - Insurance/Repair Help

I don't know what the value is or if it will be totaled, but I'd bet you are looking at at least $3500 in repairs.

P.S.
    If the radiator was leaking, add the condenser and A/C service to the repair cost.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Yes, likely to be totalled. Let them total it and buy it back for $500 and with the money you get, fix it. Take pictures before and after the repair so when you do sell it with a salvage title, you can show the extent of the prior damage. This is just an older car with no collector value so fix it and drive the wheels off it.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by JerLon View Post
    ....This summer I had a significant amount of preventative maintenance done (about $2,000 - All belts, hoses, pulleys...).
    Be certain you have the detailed repair invoices.

IF, and that's a big IF, Geico and your state insurance commission guidelines determine the repair cost exceeds XX% of the car value, the car will be totaled. Nobody but you cares about the condition of the car before the event.

IF Geico wants to total the car and makes a settlement offer to you, the first thing you do is reject the offer. The Geico claims department has one mandate; settle this claim for the least possible amount of money. Period.

Bury Geico under copies of your repair and maintenance invoices for the 12 months prior to the event. And be stubborn. You would be surprised how flexible the Geico claims department becomes when you approach sixty days after the event and the claim is not settled.

Looks like they are going to total it. I have them up around $8,000 on their offer so far which isn't unreasonable. I want to try to get a bit more out of them though.

They will sell it back to me for a reasonable price.

I don't have the time/means to repair it myself. Any suggestions as to the best place to sell it. I think I could probably sell it for more than they would sell it to me for.

It needs hood, headlight, grill, radiator, and some minor brackets and mounts...

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

if your not going to fix it up dont worry about buying it back cause i dont know or think you could get much for it your going to have to find someone who will do the repair and depending on what state you are in then they have to wait to get a slavage inspection for a salvage tittle i know in ohio when i lived there had a salvage tittle on a car i bought back from insurance i ended up going to a junyard near me there that acutaly did repair work also
    but then having to wait the 7 months it took to get a slavage title and all was just time wasting had to buy another care anyways just to drive in that 7 months then it took me a year to be able to sell that care cause having a salvage title scared everyone away

just chill on it for a few months but not sure if you will have to have it towed back to your place because im sure the insurance company wont pay for months of storage where ever it is at the shop now where it is
    and also betting that if they just made you an offer they will be calling to let you know you need to return your rental car weather you except the offer or not they put a max on how much you can use a rental car for you be suprised how fast there 800 or 900 dollar per accident rental limits come to
    and also once they make there offer they consider it you to pay the rental car if you want to keep it for past the offer

and what is the actualy estimates on reapair cost wondering if they are offer you 8000 for the car buy out
    wow the repairs must be up around 5k

Yeah, repairs are a bit over $5,800. That doesn't account for the towing, rental car, or any hidden damage. Just an initial estimate. I think I would likely be able to get them up to around 10k which wouldn't be bad given that is what I paid for it 100,000 miles and 4 years ago.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

the in surance company is willing to give you $8K -
    for an '03 SLS with 112K miles?

TAKE THE MONEY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yeah, repairs are a bit over $5,800. That doesn't account for the towing, rental car, or any hidden damage. Just an initial estimate. I think I would likely be able to get them up to around 10k which wouldn't be bad given that is what I paid for it 100,000 miles and 4 years ago.
    Why would they give you $10,000 or even $8,000 if they can repair it for $5,800?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Why would they give you $10,000 or even $8,000 if they can repair it for $5,800?
    I've got the preliminary estimate for $5,800. He said they tend to cushion it 10-15% for hidden damage. So, lets say that we are really working with $6,400 as a realistic figure. Add in towing and 15 days of rental car and it gets a bit higher. Plus, since it has been declared a total loss and moved down this road, I'm willing to bet the man hours they would have to put into going the other route would add up to a fair bit... At some point, it's just worth writing a check for them to be done with it.

They made their initial offer and I submitted receipts for work... I should get another offer tonight or early tomorrow. I'll go back with "Make it ____ and we're done" and I'm willing to bet we will be done.

Trying to decide whether I should keep the car for $700 and try to find a body/handy guy to take it off my hands for a little profit. (Or, even be patient and make a profit parting it out.. Nothing is damaged on the car except the headlight, hood, radiator. The bumper is just scuffed).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Ranger have you ever had a bad enough accident to where the insurance company has had to total out the car ?
    or better yet have you ever had an accident that had the lose at at-least half of the FMV of the vehicle

i knows its been controversial weather its almost half the value or just above half the value before they total out
    i think once you hit 60% in total loose repairs is when they total the vehicle out lets say your
    DHS / DTS conversion
    is vallued at lets say 10k FMV
    in your postal code
    and you have 4500 in damages im guessing the isnruance company from how i have heard it and seen it will opt to repair the vehicle however if during the repair they noticed more needs to be done like say they pay the 4500 to a shop after the shop hits that 4500 and it still needs more work that was not noticed untill after the repairer or if you drive off after its repaired and something els goes wrong
    that can be traced back to being part of the accident and say you need another 1500 in repairs bringing it to 60% of the value
    the Insurance will i know with Esurance Progressive and Allstate they will wright it up as a loose total the car out give you the 10k
    that its worth even after paying 4500 in repairs witch makes no sence
    but its how they work

it happend to me a long time back im really sure i mentioned it here somewhere also a year or so ago in another thread

i had a 02 continental CE
    it was about 6 years back
    i was hit in the rear end by someone without insurance so my insurance had to pay for it
    they put 4800 in repairs that was without the airbags because they did not go off and the sensors looked to be fine

well they paid the 4800 less my 500 deductible
    i drove home 2 days latter hit a pothold airbags deployed
    there was another 3500 in parts and labor
    they oppted to total the car out and give me the 12,500 the car was worth int he FMV at the time on top of the fact they already paid the dealer body shop to repair it instead of putting another 3500 into the car they decided to pay me 12,500 more
    i know doesn't make a drop of sence
    but i was able to buy it back as salvage for 4000 fixed the air bags put it on my neighbors sons budget car lot and he sold it for 13,000 he got 1300 10% of the sale
    took about a year to sell it but i made just over 3000 in profit

so this goes to show how the Insurance company's don't really care alot of the time
    issuance company's have company's that underwrite them and the underwriters have others place the insure them so when ever they pay out more and loose money they get ot right it of or claim it

I've got the preliminary estimate for $5,800. He said they tend to cushion it 10-15% for hidden damage. So, lets say that we are really working with $6,400 as a realistic figure. Add in towing and 15 days of rental car and it gets a bit higher. Plus, since it has been declared a total loss and moved down this road, I'm willing to bet the man hours they would have to put into going the other route would add up to a fair bit... At some point, it's just worth writing a check for them to be done with it.

They made their initial offer and I submitted receipts for work... I should get another offer tonight or early tomorrow. I'll go back with "Make it ____ and we're done" and I'm willing to bet we will be done.

Trying to decide whether I should keep the car for $700 and try to find a body/handy guy to take it off my hands for a little profit. (Or, even be patient and make a profit parting it out.. Nothing is damaged on the car except the headlight, hood, radiator. The bumper is just scuffed).
    shoot you could scrap it out for parts sell parts i bet in a few months if you have the space to put it up you could pull in twice what it would cost to buy it back then once all said and done tow it to a scrap yard not a junkyard but scrap yard and sell it by the weight to them
    i bought a 93 lesabre for 150 bucks pices of crap no run nothing
    pushed it down the road from where i bough tit with help from a friend sold it to a scrap yard for 32 cents a pound hoses down the cloth seats to soak them make it heavy lol

you pay extra for rental car reimbursement and its there responsibility to tow the car to repair shops during accidents
    i have never once heard of a INS company adding those amounts onto the total loose of vehicle repair cost
    you pay like xx for a year extra to have rental reimbursement that should cover 30 a day around 900 in rental fees totale per incident thats if you pay the

if it takes 900 worth fo rental car at 30 a day to to fix your car they should not add that onto the value of the loose
    and if its still not fixed by the time your 900 cap hits if thats what you do have thats what most have
    then you have to pay for rental out of pocket after that

but they cant say your car is 5000 to repair and then 500 for rental car and total the car out get what im saying ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.