92 Seville 4.9 - Where does the Alternator "Batt" cable go?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 92 Seville 4.9 - Where does the Alternator "Batt" cable go? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi there... I just replaced my alternator and when I went to reconnect the black cable to the Batt terminal ...
    Brians92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Seville

92 Seville 4.9 - Where does the Alternator "Batt" cable go?

Hi there... I just replaced my alternator and when I went to reconnect the black cable to the Batt terminal on the back side, the cable was disconnected at the opposite end. It goes down and out-of-site on the back side of the engine and I can't see where it was connected. I thought this cable should go to the battery per the wiring diagram, but this one was definitely not long enough to get there. Can I just fab a new cable and run it directly to the battery positive terminal? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 92 Seville 4.9 - Where does the Alternator "Batt" cable go?

Battery + cables are red. Alternator "BATT" connectors/studs should be red ?

Ground wires/cables are black.

This is a shot of the terminal I'm talking about and the cable that came loose when I pulled it up to connect it. Any idea where the bare end went?IMAG0166.jpgIMAG0167.jpg

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I just looked at my 92 eldo. .4.9, the end with the fitting on it goes to the neg. side of battery, and the other end (kinda hard to describe) goes on
    the cross frame of engine compartment, there is a bolt with a nut on it that also has a yellow and black wire attached to it( one may be for the anti
    theft emblem horn connection),it's very close to where your wrist is, if your standing on passenger side of engine,look to the right of the battery, there
    should be a nut there, when I say cross frame piece, it's just the thin metal cross plate.

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    I just looked at my 92 eldo. .4.9, the end with the fitting on it goes to the neg. side of battery, and the other end (kinda hard to describe) goes on
    the cross frame of engine compartment, there is a bolt with a nut on it that also has a yellow and black wire attached to it( one may be for the anti
    theft emblem horn connection),it's very close to where your wrist is, if your standing on passenger side of engine,look to the right of the battery, there
    should be a nut there, when I say cross frame piece, it's just the thin metal cross plate.

I just thought,maybe the fitting end goes on the metal plate, and the bare end goes onto the battery, on my car the fitting that goes to battery
    is a 2 in 1 connector, either way it should still work.

Thanks for the replies! I should have mentioned, the engine was just replaced before I bought it from my neighbor with a used one. I think the installer screwed up the location of the these wires. I guess all I really need to know is, can I connect a wire from the "batt" terminal in the first picture to the battery positive terminal? I'm pretty sure that's what the book is showing. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brians92 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I should have mentioned, the engine was just replaced before I bought it from my neighbor with a used one. I think the installer screwed up the location of the these wires. I guess all I really need to know is, can I connect a wire from the "batt" terminal in the first picture to the battery positive terminal? I'm pretty sure that's what the book is showing. Thanks again.
    I can only tell you what mine is like,does your neg. batt. connection have a 2 wire connector cable on it,if it does the loose wire was probably yanked out of the
    neg. fitting., the wire looks exactly like mine and it's installed as I described, what is your car doing or not doing?. rockauto.com shows a picture of the neg.
    batt connection.

I took a chance and just ran a long 4 gauge cable from the "batt" terminal on the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery and I'm now getting 13.5 volts to the battery. I think it's working the way it should now. Thanks again for trying to help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.