Neighbor Scratched my Diamond White STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Neighbor Scratched my Diamond White STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Last Monday afternoon my neighbor scratched the passenger side rear quarter of my '97 STS over a dispute we've had ...
    Seamaster_007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS

Angry Neighbor Scratched my Diamond White STS

Last Monday afternoon my neighbor scratched the passenger side rear quarter of my '97 STS over a dispute we've had over parking. I've been furious all week, there was not a single mark on this car, and she won't even admit she did it. I'm ready to take her head off!

What can I do to repair/minimize the appearance of this scratch? I've taken it down somewhat with a polishing compound, but I'm afraid to go any further possibly rubbing through the clear or even worse trough the pearl. I've taken the car to a few local specialty paint repair shops, but they all say either live with it or repaint the area and blend it in. I will not tolerate anything less than perfect, and I don't need any overspray to deal with either. I'm worried that repainting just the small area will be just as noticeable as this scratch is to me. I was thinking of filling in the groove with some diamond white touch up paint and then polishing off any excess so at least it's flat. Has anyone been in this situation before, and from your experience what's my best option?

Attachment 96958

Attachment 96959

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Neighbor Scratched my Diamond White STS

Touch-ups on tri-coat (our pearl coat paints) are usually unsatisfactory. A good shop can do computer paint shade analysis and get a perfect match - not cheap and paint the whole panel, not the area only.

Your paint code and process are listed on the production options sticker under the spare tire cover - BC/CC XXX/U XX

There's more info down in Discussions: Appearance and Detailing.

For a tiny look at the complications in touching up pearl tri-coats take a look through www.paintscratch.com

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Forget the touch up paint. I can guarantee you it will look much worse. Any good body shop will tell you that you cannot blend white diamond. They have to paint the entire panel and then "blend" (clear coat) the adjacent panels.

barrylee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Seville SLS
    where im from if someone did that to your car they would be in danger of a house fire...jk

N*Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Is the scratch deep enough to goo all the way trough the clear coat? (I can't tell from the picture).
    If is not deep can be buffed (is perfect area for buffing away from any bodyline).
    If is far too deep then if is deep enough to get to the metal at least put something on it to cover the metal or you will have soon a ugly rusted scratch. If is not all the way to the metal you can try some clear coat and then buff it a bit (will show) or you have to paint the whole panel and by that I mean quarter panel + roof + the other quarter panel. This also involves removing all rubbers around the rear glass and top of the windshield.
    You could paint (by that I mean clear coat) the bottom piece of the quarter panel (up to the bodyline where you have the paint strip), then buff it (really carefully). But it will be still a bit visible and worst could peal as the existing clear coat is 15 years old.
    Well you do have a paint strip, you can use that to mask it, but...

CadillacSevilleSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS
    If you run your finger nail across it does it catch in the scratches? If not you could get most if not all of that out with a Porter Cable dual action polisher. Consider buying one. A wise investment for any car enthusiast.

Seamaster_007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS

Yes, I'm afraid this scratch is far too deep to be polished out If you look closely in the first picture, you can see a white line in the middle of the scratch, where my "insert foul word here" neighbor really dug in with her key..I believe this is the base coat of the Tri-coat paint. Just luckily she didn't go all the way through to the metal.

Just to elaborate further on my initial post, I used some Meguiars fine cut cleaner to remove some of the surrounding paint in an attempt to minimize the appearance of the scratch. I'd say it looks about 50% better then what it did initially, it took away all the sharp edges where the paint was scraped, and the depth of the scratch was reduced about 50%. I followed up as usual by applying a fresh coat of wax afterwards. The photos above were taken after this was completed. This did not harm the surrounding paint at all, it certainly helped, but by no means is it going to make this scratch go away I'm afraid to take the surrounding paint down any further as I know this product can and will go right through the clear coat and if I were to continue right through the pearl as well, then it would really stand out!

This entire passenger side of this vehicle was painted about 4 years ago, and blended at the top of the C pillar. I'll be taking the car in later this week to get an estimate and file a claim with my insurance company. I also filed a police report on Saturday evening. When I talk to the estimator I'll be firm in explaining that the entire side of this vehicle needs to be painted to do the job right, I will not settle for anything less. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I will not let anyone come close to it with any touch up paint

Honestly, I think I'm just going to have to live with it though. To have to paint the entire side of a vehicle just to get rid of this one scratch is a bit much for me. And besides, I think I may end up with more problems resulting from the repaint then I already have to worry about. This vehicle is parked outside, so there's nothing to say my neighbor won't just do it again. At least I'll have the claim in hand though, the car goes in storage for the winter so I can decide if I want to repaint or not by next summer.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    I would do all 3 steps of the meguiars wax...cleaner, polish, wax...the polish really does a great job of hiding scratches

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Do this first. Wet the area with your garden hose. If the scratch disappears than you are only in need of some clear coat touch up.If the scratch is still noticeable when wet then you are missing color. A careful hand and a lot of patience will get a very decent touch up done. Just to note I have neither

Don

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

I had scratches on the back passendger side of my 4Runner and was able to remove them with clay bar, compound, polish, wax, and an orbital polisher. Its worth a shot before you pay big bucks to a body shop. If my neighbor had done that she would have a scratch in her. It would be all out war. I'd lower the air in her tires first then apply custom pin stripe with an ice pick. Then take the polisher to her ass for a high gloss shine that will last. Repeat every 6 weeks until she moves. What a bish!

ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Ive had some pretty good results, not perfect fixing a few issues on my eldo. I used a air brush, sprayed the base coat on a bunch of 6x6 panels and then painted each one with increasing passes of the pearl 1pass on first pannel 2 passes on second ect. Then clear coated. and matched the pannels to the car to determine the best number of passes was the best . I got the paint on the web and it was lacquer. If I didnt like the result I wiped it off with thinner and tried again. Its not easy and requires time, patience and a little luck, natural light , ideally slightly over cast.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.