Possible transmission trouble - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible transmission trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; NO, the brand new transmission is not installed yet, I am waiting for Jake to schedule the car in. Hopefully ...
    N*Caddy is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Possible transmission trouble

NO, the brand new transmission is not installed yet, I am waiting for Jake to schedule the car in. Hopefully not too late I can make it to his shop.

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Oh ok that's good.

Well, about 60 miles after my last post (I really reduced the car use to the absolute minimum possible) the transmission is DONE.
    I am stranded at the office ~8 miles away from home and ~90 miles away from Jake's shop.
    This morning on the way to the office it was whining all the time (same whine I had on the original transmission just now is all the time) and it was slipping as soon as the RPM was above ~1600. Basically I crawled on the right lane doing 20 to 25 mph.
    From the looks of it tonight will go home with CAA (Canadian AAA equivalent).
    The issue evolved so rapidly from loosing 4-th gear to this in less than 150 miles.

It made it home on its own power. I was driving probably an average of 12mph, at most I got her up to ~20mph. It whines all the time, it slips as soon as you think at the gas pedal. Let's say in 1st and 2nd is kind of ok, with super careful gas pedal control it does not slip much, but once in 3-rd (you should hear the symphony of sounds it makes when changing gears) is very difficult to maintain the speed without slipping. And once it slips is not grabbing back once you release the gas pedal (at least not anymore), you almost have to stop to get it to grab again. Basically I drove it with the engine idling and boy these last miles were some adventure in traffic. Now she's in the garage never to drive again unless I get the transmission replaced.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Sucks to hear man. Hope you find one to get her back on the road

Well Jake already ordered the new transmission. I have his confirmation is at the dealer near his Ontario shop since over a week ago.
    I just need that transmission in the car.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Reminds me of the time I lost all gears except 2nd... it didn't slip thank goodness so I could drive in 2nd for the next 20 miles or so. Hope you get it fixed for once and for all.

Sunday afternoon I towed the car 120 miles from my place to Jake's Ontario shop.
    Now we are waiting for the repair.
    The transmission will be replaced with brand new.
    The engine will be studded (is just so we don't have to pull it out again at a later time).
    The bottom end seals and timing chains and tensioners were already done last time and that part is excellent (bone dry).

Once the car is done I have to:
    - Change the front wheel hubs including the dust covers. The wheel hubs were easy to find on Rockauto, but the dust covers were not so easy, Rippy helped me on these ones (thank you!).
    - Change the spark plug wiring (I have the new AcDelco wires in some box - bought from Rockauto)
    - Change the brake lines for the FL (short run from EBTCM), RL and RR (both roughly the same lenght running from EBTCM to the rear subframe)
    - Repaint the underbody getting ready for winter.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

i paid $125 for my used trans last year. saw one on cl for $75 yesterday. dang, they are getting cheaper

Well I was definitely not lucky at all with all this transmission ordeal, I bought 3 (yes 3) transmissions so far, none nowhere near the price you mentioned, the cheapest one was way more than double, and each other way more than double than the other one.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Used trans is a crap shoot. U know that. Did kids grand prix trans couple weeks ago. I would do it again if required. Now that I know the tricks.

Well at the time considering that I had no transmission in the car and I was driving rentals for over 2 weeks and the transmission I bought turned out to be not what was advertised on papers (year or final drive), I had no choice but to get whatever transmission I can to get the car rolling.
    I was planing to get my original transmission rebuild and installed back eventually, but everything I assumed it is wrong with it turned out to be not it and everybody I consulted had no clue what it is. So looks like my best and safest option is brand new transmission.

Now is only for Jake to put it in. I hope the dealer has the correct transmission and there is no issue with it. I need a brake, money and time so far it was too much. I drove lots and lots of rentals this year…

Well more than a month later since I lost derivability the car is still not ready, 2 weeks ago I had it towed to Jake’s ON shop and unfortunately he is one man show and I am not the only one that needs him.
    Since I have no car I am just preparing the parts I am planing to replace once I get the damn transmission situation fixed.
    With help from Chris (Rippy) I managed to find the dust covers for the front brakes, well the ones for ’97 were discontinued but looks like the ones for Gen V are a match (as far as I can tell they have one extra provision to clip the brake pad wear sensor connectors (I am planing to retrofit anyway). So I spent most of the day painting the covers (I had to walk to the parts store to get the caliper paint).
    This is all to replace the front hubs (will be the second time are replaced).

This hopefully will take care of the front-end noise I have (yes the bearings have play).
    I am also planing on replacing all rotors and pads (generally do a full on brake job). For this I need to get the parts (but since I have no car…I need to wait). Sticking with the brakes, I hope I have enough time this year before it gets cold to replace the remaining brake lines I didn’t do last year.
    I also have new spark plug wires waiting to be installed once the car is back.
    Other than that Jake has a free decision to replace anything he finds not up to part regardless of the cost.
    Is very difficult without a car, I have no idea how do people not owning a car live, I spent lots of money on rentals, I used all possible favors I could ask...

Jim964 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 seville sls

For what its worth ,I wish you well, you have had a nightmare experience with your vehicle. Hopefully will be fixed soon.

And is still not ready for tomorrow.
    I am running out of ideas how to get to work. I used all the work from home days is reasonable to use, asked favors to drive me to work from anybody and that's on top of the rental cars I had in the last 3 weeks. I am dead with no car, just dead...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.