Possible transmission trouble - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible transmission trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OOPS, sorry, the previous post was done by me. Actually GeorgeJung visited me over the weekend and logged in on ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Possible transmission trouble

OOPS, sorry, the previous post was done by me.
    Actually GeorgeJung visited me over the weekend and logged in on the forum using one of my Laptops.
    I didn't check if it was logged off and just went ahead and replied to my thread.

Sorry it was an issue of mistaken identity.
    I guess I got you all confused.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the only difference that you can see in the parts catalog are those RPO codes
    i think they had to do with leaded gas or something ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I was literally dialing your number today when I got a message from Jake that he found it with GM locally.

yeah no worries... i'm sure it will work out better/easier (and maybe even cheaper) through Jake
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    the only difference that you can see in the parts catalog are those RPO codes
    i think they had to do with leaded gas or something ...
    ...it's not the leaded gas... ...my old MAE export 1997 Seville STS got also the NN8 code...(and we use unleaded fuel...there is no leaded fuel in Germany... )

...the Cadillac dealer RPO print out says for NN8: emission override code, emission system, unleaded fuel (export)
    (...whatever this might have to do with the transmission...)

...btw....it's only an (or one) assumption...but...

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Just curios, what would be the difference between export and domestic transmissions?
    ( OOPS, sorry, the previous post was done by me.)
    ...does the "domestic" marketed STS also change/shift to the "4th gear" at full throttle/with fully depressed gas pedal/WOT (e.g. a run from start/"0" to maximum speed)...and does it stay in 4th gear at "autobahn"(high-) speeds (full throttle) ...like the (european Z-rated) export ones?

Yeah you're right ... I would also assume that there's something slightly different but wouldn't that gearshift change be software and in the PCM not a physical hardware difference?

I know that the domestic firmware does downshift on cruse control when going on a very steep uphill and it can do almost a WOT (I found out crossing the mountains in Colorado). Say you have the cruise control set to 70MPH driving on a rather flat stretch of road and all of a sudden the road goes up in a 10% slope, the car will loose speed, you can see the cruise control giving more gas, up to the moment when the PCM decides it needs to downshift as is not enough, and that’s when the RPM goes into 5500 RPM. Obviously will speed up pretty fast at this point when will up-shift and again start loosing speed and the cycle repeats (about 2-3 times per mile). There are some very long slopes in Colorado so it does this allot. You can play with it accelerating with the cruise control buttons and it does the same downshift. It seem it has a specific acceleration rate set while on cruise control, that works fine on flat ground but requires downshifting uphil.
    Also the highest speed I have seen the car in 3-rd gear was ~120MPH, that's when it shifted in 4-th (it was at WOT) and then it stayed in 4-th all the way to fuel cut out.
    That was with the original transmission, with this one I have now (for another week or so) I never passed 140MPH. It did seem a bit rough shifting (especially 2-3 sometimes like you get rear-ended) and strangely the 3-4 shift was smoother than the original. However it kind of felt like I lost some power, it was not as eager as before. It also felt it needed more RPMs to leave from stand still (like the TC would be higher stall), I don't remember doing 2000 RPM when leaving from a traffic light in normal traffic. Basically no matter what speed I was in (or how fast below 60MPH I was going) the engine was 95% at 2000 RPM.

BTW, last time I saw leaded gasoline in Europe was in the very early 90's.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    5500rpm? 70mph is 2500rpm in 4th. It's 3500rpm in 3rd? Or 4500rpm in 2nd? Someone will toss in rpm tables soon

You have to account for the TC slip, we are talking accelerating not cruising.

Jake text me today the new transmission is at the dealer in Ontario.
    Pending for him to schedule the car in for next week.
    I decided to stud the engine (for no reason) since it will be the 3-rd time is pulled out of the car in 6 months (and it was sitting there for over 16).
    All required fluids are ready (like always)…come to think of I will need 1 extra jug of DexCool.

2008 was my peak year in car expenses (not including gas/oil/insurance) at just shy of $15K, this year I have a very good chance to blew past that.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

^ $15K/year maintenance? I don't and never will understand that. I would let the car ghostride down the highway first.

Today the tranny started making (occasionally) the same whine noise as the original one when shifting in 2-nd (and again only when cold). What are the chances!?!
    Also I believe it slips in 3-rd, I mean is either bad misfires (and it should not as plugs are ~20K if so and I have no codes) or is actually slipping.

Then I know I have what use to be transmission fluid, now is crud in the tranny so that may have a contribution.

Cadillac Jane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville SLS/155,000

Could it be a defective PCM?

No, we are talking of mechanical issue in the tranmission.

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    So your brand new tranny is making the same noise as the old and possibly slipping.what are the chances, bummer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.