Possible transmission trouble - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible transmission trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ^^^ Correct. But I'm still hoping for the best. N*Caddy, keep me updated on this this. The solenoid was broken ...
    97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Re: Possible transmission trouble

^^^ Correct. But I'm still hoping for the best. N*Caddy, keep me updated on this this. The solenoid was broken and bent to the side, but still actuating on my dad's '96.

I know there was a TSB on the 4T80's for loss of fourth gear apply pressure, something do do with worn seals.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

One of the 2 solenoids if gone will only disable one gear according the FSM (is the second solenoid which ever of the 2 that would be).
    There is also a 4-th gear valve (solenoid or what ever) and is that round thing that you can see on the side of the transmission. I hear about these leaking (but will be an external leak around the seal of the round cover) and I have no leaks.
    It does not try to shift at all in 4-th is just like you would have the stick in 3, goes 1-2-3 and stays there.
    The only time it tries to do something (like shifting from 3-rd into 3-rd) is when I manually shift form D to 3 (and I am at a speed when the 4-th speed should de on). You feel a "down shift" but is just like pressing on the clutch and releasing it immediately (without actually shifting) on a manual transmission car.
    Like I said the tranny since installed was kind of hard shifting from 2-nd to 3-rd, and maybe ever so slightly from 1-st to 2-nd, but 3-rd to 4-th was smooth like silk always.

Unfortunately it was kind of late to drop the pan today, took me too long to find the solenoids and I was afraid I ran put of day light so is tomorrow first thing in the morning. I noticed I have to drop the valve boddy so is more like 1h+ job once the pan is out, is not just unclip the solenoids and then clip the new ones.

Basically the transmission is GONE!
    Picture tell everything...you are looking at actual chunks of friction material off the bands (probably 4-th gear)

I am about $1450+$2500+850+fluids and minor stuff (~$100) + rental cars into the transmission and it lasted 6 months.

I am not even going o waste the $160 solenoids and $75 Dextron VI on it, I am pouring back same fluid and next drive is to the shop (if will last).

bummer

If anybody know where I can buy a BRAND NEW (0 miles no rebuild) transmission please let me know.

I put the pan back, just recycled the very dark and muddy fluid (doesn't matter anyway) and I put all the friction material chunks together and I end up with a 5" 1/2 strip of friction material, that should account for at least 1/3 of a band (most chunks were wornd pretty thin, some were almost new).

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post

If anybody know where I can buy a BRAND NEW (0 miles no rebuild) transmission please let me know.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4T80e-AUTOMA...640a2e&vxp=mtr

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    You can't buy a break with that trans...

It's being sold through a GM dealership so I would assume it's actually a brand new unit through GM SPO. I would suggest talking to Chris Heath over @ Rippy to see if he can match that price, he is a forum member and supporter of CF. Waiting I guess is the one thing you just can't do when it's your only vehicle. So if these guys have it, go get it. Distance between Rippy Cadillac and Decorah Chevrolet from you is the same.

I get massive discounts through a local GM dealer an hour South down I-29. I will call them today and see how long it takes to get a new/reman 4T80.

Just please make sure you verify that it's got the FV4 final drive and the correct torque converter. It's easy for people to slip up and sell the wrong unit.

----------

If you can wait until my schedule clears just a bit I will do the trans swap (labor) at no charge. I have a few customers that I REALLY have to look after but I will try to squeeze this in right after them. I will have it done in one day.

I will call Rippy tomrrow to see what he can do. I surely love to drive to SC than Iowa.
    This tranny (THANKS Vincentm) is the one I saw about 2-3 weeks ago and was thinking “where was this tranny back in Feb when I needed the damn thing?”. I even had the idea of maybe buying it just in case knowing I have a used tranny. But somehow I passed over as the tranny was working at the time. It surely looks brand new, is not a rebuild, that’s something that kind of caught my attention (I am not sure what yo-yo is working on a rebuild, but new is at least done in factory with proper tools, parts and qualified labor.

Let's see, I will need to rent a hatch back or some vehicle with a folding rear seat to get the thing in. A truck will be an option but not sure if I would drive a truck long distance.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    No prob N* i dont want to see your Seville off the road, shes a road queen not a garage queen lol

The parts guy I normally deal with will only be in tomorrow. I will call then and update you Vasi with pricing and availability.

I will make some calls on my side and see what I get too, is either the Iowa unit or Rippy.

I can get you a new unit even cheaper than the one on ebay from GM. I may be able to have you pick it up in/around motor city. I will be in the shop most of the day Vasi, text me if this interests you. You will still have to pay the taxes to bring it into Canada but that's inevitable either way.

----------

I mean to say this one is also from General Motors direct from their warehouse.

Trans is on order through my parts account at Degroote-Hill Chevrolet. It will arrive pretty quick and then we can have your trans issues solved once and for all. For the pricing they give me I won't even bother with used transmissions anymore. 3 yr/160,000km warranty through GM. You won't have to make any special trips, that dealership is located 10 minutes away from my Ontario shop.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

by the way.... that transmission (in the ebay auction) is for 1998+ year models

my parts catalog shows two 3.71 transmissions for the 1997 year model
    one is an export model with RPO codes NN8 or NM8 ... service ID tag code 7AJN
    the other is the domestic without either of those two RPO codes and with service ID tag code 7MLN

Vintage Parts has some of the export versions (and apparently at a discount) while the domestic version has to be ordered from GM

the pricing on the ebay trans is not really that much of a good deal (like Jake I too can get a better price than that)
    all that said, it might be better/easier/cheaper for you to purchase through jake since he is basically local to both you and the GM parts plants/warehouses
    any money i might be able to save you would be sucked up by shipping/transportation costs
    (unless for some reason you have an export car... i can get that export trans for a really good price from VPI)
    97EldoCoupe likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

GeorgeJung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS

BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY, it was really easy I must say, to locate a new transmission. As Jake mentioned it is on order expected to be delivered in 1 week time. So best case scenario Monday we can see the brand new transmission.

Just curios, what would be the difference between export and domestic transmissions?
    I mean we have the same gear ratio, same cooler lines, and same controls (as per FSM). What would there be 2 different P#?
    Like my 9 y.o. would say, “Would that make me go faster?”
    I have a "Z" rated PCM already and I was waiting to test it at Bonneville this coming August, but considering the issues I am having now, is very likely to miss the occasion

On another note this morning driving to work I noticed while driving at a speed high enough to shift in 4th I can hear a constant whoosh/rubbing noise. Best description would be if you drag a piece of steel on the surface of a wooden wheel steel belt.
    I found the solution to this issue is keep the shifter in 3, but doing so the car is very “responsive” to the gas pedal movement, that won’t be a problem on acceleration (I like it) but if you try to coast the engine brake is much harder than if it was in D.
    Obviously HWY speeds on this temperatures with this issue @3500+ RPM is not good for the coolant temperature it does have the tendency to stay into the 224*F to 228*F. So I would not consider taking HWYs anywhere.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.