Possible transmission trouble - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible transmission trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ^ yeah, funny! I would suggest the Civic, as it has custom two tone paint job! But joking aside, I ...
    ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Possible transmission trouble

^
    yeah, funny! I would suggest the Civic, as it has custom two tone paint job!

But joking aside, I was serious in my previous post.... It is better than driving around in a stupid rental car and paying a lot of money for that! Having a second car as a plan B is a good idea, especially if your main car is a 16 year old car with more than 170k miles on it.... I myself am in search of a second car for myself!

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Kick a man when he's down MC.... he'd prob rather walk than drive the first 2...
    Seriously though N*Caddy, having only one vehicle makes you hate the one you have when it breaks down. Been there done that and I keep an old beater truck(and I mean old and BEAT) just for these situations. Paid 300 for it 8 years ago and it's saved my bacon a few times. Last was when wife's car had a flat then the spare went out. If you have room for another car of course is always an issue.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Joke aside I do need a second car, my problem is I have no place to store it. My house only has 1 car garage and 1 car driveway. One car stays in the garage and one outside. If I need to take the car out of the garage I need to move the one on the driveway out on the street and get the car out of the garage and the drive back the other car on the driveway.
    Obviously I am not going to drive the beater, nor keep the beater in the garage thus I will need to do this every time I need the car in or out of the garage. But to be honest I am not looking for a beater, I am looking for a super low miles (like between 10K and 20K at most) '02 red ETC (I much rater have the regular ETC than the Collector's edition).
    The problem I have is 2 months ago I started with a Cadillac having an oil leak and transmission issues. Now (well) over $5000 later I have a Cadillac with a oil leak (this time is the transmission, and is so dirty I can't pin point from where) a unknown transmission and still not working. I must say the engine does run fabulously, I mean truly absolutely fabulous.

Today I jacked up the car on the stands remove the PCM and disconnected the VSS connected and measured the harness between PCM and VSS, I get a perfect 2 Ohm resistance thus the harness is fine. I connected the VSS and measured the sensor resistance at the PCM connector. Normally the sensor should measure between 1300 Ohms and 1950 Ohms. Well mine measures in the Mga Ohms range. Just for fun I spun the wheels measuring the AC sensor output voltage and is NADA.
    Since the car is up in the air I just put it in gear and freewheel and the VSS was 0 up to when I approached 90MPH when all of a sudden it came back to life and started indicating the correct speed but as soon as I go above 30MPH is acting up. I called a parts store near by and they promised they would have one (whatever brand will be, for whatever price) in 45 min from now. I will have to take my second vehicle: my bicycle (BTW my bicycle worth more than a beater, especially the ones in the previous links) and get the VSS from the store (I hope will work). I really need a car tomorrow to get to work.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

^
    It sucks! I hope everything works out for you!

p.s: I just realized that the Civic has a cold air intake! That car is sold for $639! And it needs a new engine as the current engine has no compression! Who bought that thing? You can't even part it out; literally every single part in that car is junk....

The parts store kept the promise and they did got me the VSS. It is some brand I have never heard of.
    Anyway changing the sensor is not a big deal if you don't have thick arms, all you need to do is get the front right side wheel out and remove the suspension height sensor. Then you have all the space to get to it. Unfortunately once you slide your arms in, you have obstructed your view of the work area so you have to do the Braille method. But since I saw the transmission out I knew exactly what to feel for. There is a ground wire attached to the engine block in your way that you better disconnect so you don't risk ripping it. Then there is a small shield that goes on top of the VSS. You need very long (or many) extensions to get a socket in there. Thank God for last weekend when I was looking for vacuum hoses and I saw a set of 2 extensions for only $9 so I bought one (never did an impulse buy before but it paid well today). I found one of the 2 nuts loose (that helped, looking at the bright side). Then the sensor was out and ... not so good, I saw derbies on it (kind of like you season your steak), I hope that is a low flow area and I don't have more debris in the transmission.
    I put everything back, I took the time to also replace some of the cable clips that were substituted with cable ties (I HATE CABLE TIES!). On this occasion I kind of made a mental note of what other clips I need (I only had so many). I installed also 3 or 4 missing screws for the wheel well plastics and now she is looking good (oh I am missing one push clip for the plastic shield near the suspension height sensor, got to get me some of those, there are always handy).
    Well took it for a spin and the VSS works good, shifts fine, still seems to be a bit harsher than I was used to with my original transmission...maybe is just in my mind, also maybe is just in my mind but it does seems to me I need to press a bit more on the gas pedal to make it downshift...not sure, that is my impression.
    The other highlight of the day is the tranny fluid leak. I believe I located the culprit, the fitting for the transmission purge line (in the back of the tranny) was loose (about 1/2 of a turn, first 1/4 almost by hand). I cleaned up the area with brake cleaner and I parked again on a paper to see what happens over the night.
    Then while I was under the car I also replaced the A/C High pressure valve connector that I found melted touching the exhaust manifold (funny no code?!?). I was able to pull the wires out of the melted connector and insert in a new one.
    Obviously I washed the car, and I have to say I was really lucky with today's weather, we had temperatures in the mid to high 50's. That is almost pleasant.
    Let's see how it goes from here.
    I don't drive the 16 year old Cadillac because I can't afford a new car, I drive it because that IS the car I want to drive. I just want it in mint condition money no objection. My other car I would like to drive is a '66 dark blue V8 4 speed manual coop Mustang with black pony interior.
    There is no new car that excite me with the exception of the W12 Bentley GT continental, but I must admit I can't afford that and the house. An '02 Eldorado will be a nice second car though, and another equivalent second car would be a ’03 CL600, I only like the engine and suspension in that car.
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

4 hours later parked on the clean paper and I see no drips so far. I hope I have a drip free car and I can finally U-Coat the garage floor with no worries.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Well, a coated floor is GOOD for wiping up drips. U don't want porous concrete to get stained.

Yeah the garage floor is original with the house, it is a bit porous and it has some hairline cracks hare and there. I need to spend some time on it, any worst and I would just brake the jack hammer. Drywall the whole thing too nice to have an old concrete surface. My only problem is once I U-CoatIt no more dragging the jack around, or using the jack stands directly on the floor. It would be a waste of over $1000.
    As for the transmission/leaks/speed sensor I learned the BWD stands from "Borg Warner Development" (or Division depending where you read) and looks like is an OEM supplier for many sensors (not sure what cars). So appears is "better" reviewed than other aftermarket parts. However none of the reviewers were driving cars like Cadillac or Jaguar (not the later Indian ones) and MB. Good for Ford economy models doesn't mean much. Some 3-rd gen Camaro reviewers were the best I could find.
    But today it worked great, I'll keep it for now until it fails or I get the tranny out.
    I had not one single drip today, and it drove like a dream, once I get the sway bar links replaced it would be awesome!
    I just hope to many, many miles this way. I just passed the 177777 Miles today. Actually come to think of it, since the sensor acted for few miles, I believe half were not counted for (I would estimate ~2).

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

O'Reilly auto sells BWD parts, my FPR replacement that i installed recently is BWD.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Yeah, we've used them some... one of the better aftermarket brands (if there is such a thing)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

When my CMP sensor needed Replacing, the BWD one didn't match up, it had a 3-prong electrical connection, i had to get the AC Delco one

Well this morning I was on my way to Detroit.
    3 miles into my trip as I was entering on the HWY I noticed is not shifting in 4-th.
    I ease of gas (hoping maybe it was thinking it needs to accelerate this is why was keeping it in 3-rd) and nope still 3-rd.
    I end up instead of going to Detroit running along from part store to part store to find the shift solenoids.
    Ever since I had the transmission changed it felt a bit harsh shifting from 2-nd to 3-rd (sometimes). Lately was more and more noticeable (but 4-th was never an issue).
    Anyway I see I have the following possible issues:
    1. 1-2 shift solenoid (I just spent $160+ for the pair) is the second design with the metal bracket and I really hope that is it.
    2. The 4-th gear solenoid (that round thing accessible from outside the transmission) I hope that's not it.
    3. The 4-th gear band (that will pretty much put me back into a rental Kia for a while).

I was just waiting for the car to cool of a bit so I can drop the pan and see what next.

Basically it shifts 1-2, 2-3 (kind of harsh) and then it stays in 3-rd all the way to the red line.
    If I drop the shifter into 3-rd I do feel a bit of a stumble as if it was downshifting in 3-rd but nothing happens as is in 3-rd anyway. Because I see it does try something in this moment I am afraid is not the shift solenoids. I am afraid something else keeps it in 3-rd.
    Obviously I checked the codes and there is NONE.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    The 4-th gear band
    Sorry to say, ^This^

There is no "4th gear solenoid". There are 2 solenoids that work in sequence to achieve 4 speeds, so if one was bad there would be an issue with more than one gear.

From what I've seen, when only 4th is lost, the band ripped off the lug.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Does it try to shift into fourth at all? Like a chugging feeling? My 1998 STS had lost fourth, but I raced with that transmission and when I dropped the pan I found a lot of metal shavings in there. Hopefully it's jjust the solenoid(s). My dad's 96 Deville had lost 3 and 4, it was a solenoid on his. Used replacements out of a 1997 Aurora fixed it up.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Sorry to say, ^This^

There is no "4th gear solenoid". There are 2 solenoids that work in sequence to achieve 4 speeds, so if one was bad there would be an issue with more than one gear.

From what I've seen, when only 4th is lost, the band ripped off the lug.
    There is that possibility, but let's hope for the best. I just had N*Caddy's car apart twice this year for trans related work, wound up putting a used one in, I really don't want to tear into it again anytime soon unless it's for the 2000+ roller engine swap

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    My dad's 96 Deville had lost 3 and 4, it was a solenoid on his.
    3rd & 4th, two gears.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.