Possible transmission trouble - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible transmission trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A transmission rebuild would be an awesome guide too here on CF...just saying...
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    A transmission rebuild would be an awesome guide too here on CF...just saying

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Possible transmission trouble

Well I bought the 26K transmission.
    Turned out to be VIN 9 and was removed from the vehicle over 7 years ago. It was sitting in the Warehouse all this time.
    It does look a bit dirty but there is no surface corrosion on the case, thus it means it was indeed removed long time ago and stored inside.
    It kind of make sense the donor vehicle could had 26K over 7 years ago, basically the car was ~8 years old. It is suspiciously low mileage for a 8 years car...but I spoke with 2 people from there (not knowing one that I spoke with the other) and both said the same thing, 26K removed many years ago. Actually they have few transmissions to choose from and both said that among the transmissions they have one is particularly low mileage comparing with all the others.
    The donor vehicle VIN is 1G6KY5299VU838122; anybody has any records about this VIN?
    For CompNine I know it was build basically just days apart from my car.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

carfax or similar would be the only thing that i can think of to find out records for that VIN
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Jake checked the VIN on that replacement low mileage transmission and turned out to be from a '98 Deville (VIN Y) so back to the drawing board. So I bought this 85K Miles transmission Jake had from a '97 STS (the lowest mileage available).
    I need the car so desperately (can event get to the grocery store to buy food with no car let alone go to work) that I just choose the whatever option makes the wheels spin for now. I have a used transmission (non matching VIN) in my car, that's how I end up.
    Anyway last night 3PM I got home driving the car.
    There are some stuff to adjust the most important being the shifter cable. It is 1 position off:

P = P
    R = N
    N = D
    D = 3
    3 = 2
    2 = 1
    1 = ??

So I drive the car in N, the other issue is the first gear, it seem that sometimes when coming to a stop it does not downshift to 1-st, it remains in 2-nd and when I take off it starts in second (no is not the 2-nd gear start you are thinking about T/C button or EBTCM issue related). Once it takes off it shifts rough in 3-rd then is smooth. It did this 2 times last night. I hope will go away in time as the transmission was sitting for over 1 year. If you hammer it works flawlessly, only when gentle seems to behave (at odd times). I hope the worst case scenario is I have to replace the shift solenoids (not a difficult task at all).
    Engine runs like always very nice, can't complain at all about the engine, no leaks no rattles no other issues and yeah no more slippage while cursing alone at ~70MPH (especially downhill felt like running out of gas) and no more whine also.
    I have to take off to work and now I have my car thank God for that, I got sick driving rental cars like Mazda2 and Kia (whatever that was), plus I asked every favor I could possibly ask from all my friends. Last 3 weeks were very, very, very difficult times; I could literally do better without a limb than without car.
    As I work over 10h each day I have to drive it in Neutral (as odd as it sounds) until Friday, Saturday I can spend the time to adjust the cable (as per FSM is pretty simple).
    Let's see how it goes.
    My original transmission is still with Jake, he was nice to offer to deliver it to Toronto in the following weeks along with the other transmission I bought so I can recuperate my money.
    I will spend some time over the summer slowly taking it to pieces and hopefully figure it out what is wrong with it. I want it back in the car eventually, can't have a used replacement transmission in my car, no way.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

At least you have your wheels back, bumming rides sucks big time. I have to do it tomorrow and not looking forward to it even once.
    Coming from someone who has been around auto trans rebuilders most of my life, sometimes you can't fix originals. Valve bodies wear, bores get oversized and are too $$$ to redo. I had to give up on a numbers matching vette trans and carb(still kept the carb). Hope you can rebuild it though, if anyone here can you're def on that list. You can get detailed rebuild manuals(factory manuals), I have a bunch but don't think for 4t80e.

Oh I have the FSM, should be OK, I need time though, work is killing me, no me time at all.
    I discovered I have also few codes mainly coolant in the connectors related.
    I tried to adjust the cable (actually I did adjusted the cable) but unfortunately is not the cable adjustment the issue, is the BTSI switch that one is not adjusted (must be turned slightly clockwise).
    With the cable disconnected and transmission in P (transmission manual shaft lever turned counterclockwise all the way) the gear indicator is in P.
    As I turn clockwise to the first click the indicator moves to R, turn one more click and the indicator stays in R while the transmission is in N, then I turn one more click and transmission goes in D but the indicator moves to N and so on...).
    Clearly I need to adjust the BTSI switch around the shaft. The gear indicator is perfectly in sync with the shaft level clicks. Fist click is P, second click is N and so on.
    Definitely this is a Saturday project when I need to spend some time and tackle one by one.

So far so good, transmission shifts nice and smooth. If I were not told the transmission was changed I could not tell. It drives just like before August (when it started acting up).
    I need to address this weekend some plastic clips replacement, add screws (for wheel well plastics), the left side mud shield, check what is going on with the vacuum for the CC module as now the blend doors are defaulted to windshield defrost and the parking brake is not releasing, I may need to clean up the contacts for the engine compartment relays (low beam failed to engage few times) and the big one the BTSI switch adjustment.
    Other than that all good.

scott f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS/ 1994 STS

Sounds Good, get 'er buttoned up

Today I fixed all the issues:
    1. Adjusted the BTSI switch. It was a matter of loosening the switch (2 bolts) and just slightly rotate it counters clock wise (maybe less than 1 degree). Instant fix, I love these .
    2. Fixed the Vacuum issue for the CCM. Basically the insulation valve (is a reed) on the vacuum line was mounted in reverse. Now it was working if I had a blower (but I don't . I also replaced the 2 small vacuum hose session attached to the "T" for the vacuum tank/CCM lines. Also instant fix .
    3. Changed the engine oil, is the first change after the bottom end reseal.
    4. I had nothing fix for the EBTCM, the codes are gone. It was as I suspected a matter of coolant in the EBTCM connector.

Transmission shifts fine, maybe a tad (at times) harsh into second, what's the worst case scenario a 45-minute job to change the shift solenoids.
    By hash I mean harsh for a Cadillac (but still not out of normal) absolutely smooth for any other car (definitely considering the rentals I had lately).
    I also need to address the noise cause by the sway bar links. They drive me NUTS, at least the one on the driver side up at the strut side has play. The smallest ripple in the road and clunk, clunk, clunk. I hate these links, are super expensive and good for nothing, the '98+ are much simple and cheap and dependable, is just a rod with rubber bushings sandwiched between oversized washers but mines must be a rod with expensive ball joints at each end. Is to damn cold to change the links for now.
    I also have a second small hole in the firewall/HVAC plastic cover. I was hoping I get it changed while the engine was out, but it didn't happened. It looks at least difficult if not impossible to change it with the engine in the car...
    There are other minor stuff like few cable plastic clips, some cable wrap plastic cracked. I have all I need but the suitable temperature, can work on those in a garage with no heat (is like 40*F in there). I will wait ‘till is a bit warmer outside and the plastics are softer. Also I need to locate a rad fan relay bracket, and the locking clip for the EBTCM, mine is rusted.

PS here is an interested feature you may not be aware of.
    The fuel gage we all know is dampened because the gas moves about in the fuel tank as you brake/turn/accelerate. Well IT IS NOT if you are in neutral. Lately since my BTSI switch was out of adjustment I was practically driving the car in Neutral. I noticed the "FUEL LOW" message was showing allot every time when breaking (although the tank was 2/3).
    You can test it yourself (as long as is safe to do so). Having the tank about 1/2 or so drive to HWY speed and shift to neutral and brake. Note the fuel gage moves to E as the fuel is pushed forward in the tank. The gage follows the fuel level (in neutral) with almost no dampening. It is still dampened as fluis moves allot more than the gage but still.
    Bet you don't have this in say...a Nissan Altima.

Interesting about the fuel level..
    Why don't you replace the sway bar links with heim joint setup?

There are a bit too bulky, although there is enough space in there.
    For now I am trying the Moog ones, I have them in the garage; I'll wait to get warmer outside. Compared with the AcDelco ones I am keep replacing Moog looks a bit more off road(ish).

Well, it worked fine for 2 weeks.
    3h ago as I was returning home I lost the VSS.
    It started with a very harsh downshift in 1-st while I was costing downhill doing roughly 30MPH. I didn't notice the speedo as I was just approaching a red light. About 300 yards past the traffic light it downshifted again and that's when I noticed the speed was bouncing up and down. As soon as the speedo was falling it was downshifting. It acted like that going from bad to worst and I hardly crawled home, as I could not pick up speed because of the hard downshifts. I got home I put it on the ramps and checked the VSS. Connected was nice and snug, all looks fine. Took it for a test drive around the house and I have 0 VSS, it won't budge anymore, as a result I am stuck in first gear.
    Now is too late and dark to test the harness but tomorrow I will test the harness from VSS to PCM, I even have a replacement PCM that I can throw in there to see if by any chance the issue is with the PCM VSS input. If is the VSS then I am screwed, I have no way to get to work Monday, the AcDelco parts store is roughly 10 miles away and I can't drive the car in traffic, no way unless I leave 5AM or so and I stick with all the back streets. Once I get to the store assuming they have one sensor (assuming is the sensor) at least my friend's shop is near by I can change it in there.
    Funny enough I have no VSS related code, I had a P1810 - TFP Valve Position Switch Circuit that went to history but I guess that was because of the abrupt downshift.

Well if that ain't a kick in the drawers... you need beater parts chaser. Hopefully it's not the TFP.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

If I were in your shoes, I would consider buying a second car for such cases. Our cars are becoming too old to be used as the daily dariver. A second car can be handy.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    A second car is a great idea.

I could see N*caddy in something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...exp=true#v4-47

Or maybe something more spacious, with a few less miles. Something that could be used as a parts hauler:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/27116...#ht_525wt_1064

Or even a second Cadillac:
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22181643&Log=0
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.