Possible transmission trouble - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible transmission trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Seems a lot of caddys are junked for motor issues, not trans issues. I found a 92k miles trans for ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Seems a lot of caddys are junked for motor issues, not trans issues. I found a 92k miles trans for the same price but it was 200 miles away. I even found a 35k mile unit but they wanted 400 or so and I was leery about honest mile reporting.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Possible transmission trouble

Jake actually offered to do the studding when we removed the engine first time but I want to see how long will last with original bolts and gaskets. So far is 176K, and I have a friend with a '97 made in the same week as mine and his has 210K all original, plus that car was never ever maintained. I have no idea how is that car still on the road (for example the guy is just pouring whatever oil has).
    I was thinking seeing how difficult is to get to Jake (he is very busy) to stud it now since we take the engine out again...but still want to see how long will it last.

B.T.W most people buy transmissions from under 35K rear-ended cars; is funny how many under 35K cars get rear-ended.

scott f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS/ 1994 STS

My '94 STS has 184k miles...still going strong...until...I keep it in the gararge alll the time, never sees the rain or snow/salt It's a damned Good looking car!

There beautiful cars Scott, so money no objection.
    This is a picture of 70 years of automotive evolution (while I was stopped last week at the tranny shop).

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    B.T.W most people buy transmissions from under 35K rear-ended cars; is funny how many under 35K cars get rear-ended.
    I bought my used transmission for $300, that was in a 34k rear ended 2000 Deville. After confirming the VIN record and 34k with my local dealer, I was happy to purchase it.

But I do understand the "number-matching" part, as I also wanted to keep mine because of the same reason. Upon teardown, it was completely fubar, so unfortunately I had no choice but replacing it.

This is where I am sure all my problems are (hope maeng9981 doesn’t mind I borrowed the picture).

That is the oil pumps assembly and no matter how I listen to that tranny the sound still comes from that area.
    In fact I am so sure that is my problem I just ordered from Rockauto.com an assembly. After all the fees, shipping, tax and what not minus the 5% discount (of the part not the total) I end up paying a $456 bill. I am sure FedEx will ask me for another $40-$50 whatever FedEx fee they usually charge but let's hope that's all it takes.
    I couldn't find the TCC solenoid, I may have to pay a good $100 for it locally (that's with the "discount" I have with AcDelco).
    Now all it takes is just Jake to come in Ontario and get the engine out.

Just found a 97 Sts with a bad trans! Owner has used trans also but I would feel double jinxed in that I assume the head gaskets are also just about to go. Too much bad karma waiting to happen.

I have the brand new pump some miscellaneous gaskets/filters and the TCC solenoid (just in case) plus the below fluids.

Tomorrow I will help Jake to drop the subframe.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Good to hear man, glad to see it be worked on by a great mechanic, it's going to be fun

Fun is an understatement.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Fun is an understatement.
    AS much trouble as the northstar gives, it makes up in what it teaches folks who love them.

Well to be honest the only problem the Northstar System gave me so far is the transmission. Engine wise, other than the oil leak and the chain tensioner...I really had no other issues, all original in 177xxx M.
    Suspension, bushings, every single clip and trim you can think of, is another story. I mean the damn swaybar links got me to despair. If you see in the picture (by my toolbox) there are the 2-yellow/blue boxes with the Moog sway bar links. I just gave up on AcDelco, I'll try the Moog this time. There are a bit more expensive than AcDelco, we'll see...I am yet to find that brand that lasts more than 1 year.
    Then is the alternator is something else...I'm at my 4-th so far.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Cadillacs like chewing up alternators. Be happy you still have the old type with the nice large contacts on the armature. The new 98+ design leaves very little room for wear/machining. With those you're better off replacing with new and not rebuilding. My ETC is on it's third since I started driving it. Now with ACDelco brand, hopefully it will last. See you in the morning my friend.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

I changed my swaybar bushings 8yrs ago? Bolts for clamp on 1 side never went in right. So I dropped subframe last fall and while it was out I took off clamps and chased threads with tap. Bolts went back in smooth. I actually had a proper metric tap. Woohoo.

Well it turns out the pump is not it.
    Jake dropped the subframe, we open up the side cover and I have a perfectly functional unit. So the issue is something else that requires a complete transmission tear down.
    Unfortunately the tranny shop mentioned they couldn’t guarantee the tranny rebuild will fix the issue, and in addition will take way too long.
    I need the car (is the only one I have) and the quickest fix is swap the transmission.
    So I need to find a transmission by tomorrow.
    I have all sort of used units to chose from in the $300 and less range and between 70K miles and 100K miles. I am not comfortable with a used unit (especially since I want numbers matching car), the best offer I have is a 26K miles unit for more than double the average price. I don't mid paying the price as long as I get as new as possible. I even found a brand new tranny for a ’02 DTS, however Jake was right is not compatible, there are electrical differences and it could be adapted but takes time. I hope my 26K miles lead won’t go bust tomorrow. I am not in the market for a cheap transmission, I need a new one.
    I am planing to take my tranny and slowly rebuild it myself (how hard can it be!) and eventually put it back in the car sometimes in the future.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.