Possible transmission trouble - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible transmission trouble in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You need a scooter or something small. I know you don't have space for a second vehicle at your place, ...
    rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    You need a scooter or something small. I know you don't have space for a second vehicle at your place, have you considered getting a second beater and parking at self storage place? I have paid people to park extra cars at their homes also. Just a thought N*.... Wish you luck getting it back soon.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Possible transmission trouble

So it begins...

This is the box with the BRAND NEW transmission

Jake is now working on it, drilling the block, studs, gaskets, new transmission...he will be working over the night and tomorrow eve we are doing the first test drive. I will pull a very last rabbit from the hat to somehow get to work tomorrow (my boss became interested in the situation with my car, so hint, hint).

We are rolling back the clock little by little to 16 years ago...next new spark plug wires, wheel hubs, brand new OEM replacement rims waiting...

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Damn thats just sexy. I wish i can get a new transmission.

And here are the (perfectly functional) gaskets @181K

Jake is not happy with them, but in my books these are the best I have seen by far.

Cylinders 2 (especially) and 4 look a bit lean, everything else looks dirty. Is true lately was driving more and more on city streets and less on HWY, but is a bit too dirty for my expectations. Always the best gas, always fresh oil, occasionally ran at WOT. Is true the spark plug wires are due for replacement, I noticed in the last month a miss or 2, and tested with the water mist was discharge galore, hence the reason I bought new ones.

Jake was not happy with 2 of the bolts.
    I can't tell much from the pictures about the cylinder walls.
    eldorado_97 likes this.

And this is the today's progress:

Nothing wrong before but this is better.
    Jake provided me with a picture of the cylinder walls, I can see the honings but I can see also something else:

He said that scratch is not concerning, but I am a bit disappointed.

Tomorrow is the pick up.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

lookin' good!
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

She is finally back in my garage since last night.
    The drive home last night didn't went without adventures, the slider on the rear left wheel brake caliper seized after siting for so long. The grease got thick and hard inside the rubber boot plus the ear hole with the rubber sleeve got rusted and tightened the rubber around the slider. These combined translate in when applying brakes the inner pad was remaining pushed against the caliper. After about 5 miles when slowing down to a stop sign I heard a rub from the rear wheel. I pulled over and the rotor was glowing.
    Jake came to my rescue with a hammer that got the caliper unstuck up to first time I had to apply brake again.
    Eventually every time I was breaking I was pulling over and waking the caliper with the jack wrench, that pretty much destroyed the wrench and chipped the rim in few spots (I was hammering the caliper at night in between the spokes, few knocks got to the rim not the caliper).
    This was only annoying as I was about to replace the brakes anyway, and that rim was to be replaced as soon as I change the tires (unfortunately still good for a while).
    Funny fact once I got to the HWY I drove ~75 miles without applying brakes once .

Today I spent most of the day working on the car. I fixed that caliper (for this week at least until I get the brake parts).
    The transmission was engaging softly into D, turned out to be the shifter cable (a bit too loose), so D was rotating the shifter shaft just partially into D. Now everything is perfect, the shifter knob is very sharp (the trick is to match the clicks of the shifter mechanism with the ones on the transmission shift shaft).
    I replaced the spark plug wires too, that really made a difference, is so smooth now, and then I installed plastic clips and redo some of the electrical tape on the engine bay harnesses.
    One comment about the spark plug wires, they got the lengths wrong, I still have the original wires and compared new wire against, 3 of the longest wires were the same length (not the case with the original ones), we are talking differences of 2 inches in some cases. Is a bit disappointing for a $150 wire set.

I now have 100K warranty

PM R1 concepts for price quotes on brake components you'll get a super killer deal

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

It was always nice to get back into my Seville after not driving it for a few days (in your case months). There is something very special about these cars.

Brakes I will get from a local AcDelco supplier I have an account with, I am looking for the rotors for my production year but the pads for '98+ with the slots for the brake wear sensor. I am planning to add the feature to my car. Unfortunately will involves some hardware changes to the IPC, cannot install it using the original set up as my IPC will not support the feature (even if I replace the EBTCM and CVRSS modules assuming the struts will be compatible). I will just make the IPC brake light turn ON when breaking if the sensors are gone.

Now back to the subject:
    Obviously I am driving it paying attention to every single thing that seems to be out of the ordinary and I am happy to say so far it shifts fine, no jerking no noises. It did felt a bit funny once while shifting into 4-th doing ~70MPH, it seemed to me a bit sluggish (no jerk or anything just looked like it took a bit more time to shift than I would expect). I hope is nothing, I will keep an eye on it.
    Engine, didn't had an issue before so is not surprising is fine now, no leaks no funny noise all fluids to correct level.
    Did I mentioned Jake fired it up it at the first try once was put back together?

Glad she's back on the road, Jake is a good mechanic and she was in good hands.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.