Any advice to keep my car running like new?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Any advice to keep my car running like new? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone. I just got a 2003 Seville STS. This car is AMAZING! I love it so much. It's my ...
    MattHatlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Any advice to keep my car running like new?

Hello everyone. I just got a 2003 Seville STS. This car is AMAZING! I love it so much. It's my first car. I don't have my license yet, but I
    have a permit and I have driven it to NJ and back (from NY). It is already a very smooth ride and very comfortable. But since I am so new to Cadillac I was wondering...is their any tricks or tips you could give me to keep the car nice and smooth so I can get the most out of my car. It has almost 73k miles and like i said, it drives amazing. Any advice you have I would LOVE to hear it. Thank you in advance, I
    appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Not a recommended car for a teenager..the maintenance alone will break your pockets..

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Any advice to keep my car running like new?

everything you want/need to know about this car
    has been written and discussed a million times -

there are thousands of pages of information both here -
    and in the TechTips forum - and don't forget the Northstar engine forum -

there is also a great forum for keeping it clean -
    the Detailing and Appearance forum -

that should keep you busy 'til you get your license -

Kiriken is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Eldorado, 2008 STS

vincentm is right. High class vehicles require top-dollar to buy and top-dollar for maintenance. The vehicle may be almost 10 years old now and thus decreased in value but the price to repair it will be nearly the same.

That said, you already have it so don't let that stop you. You will however want/need to have a bit of cash tucked away for when things go wrong. Most preventative maintenance you can do on your own and it will save you a ton of money. If you don't have any automotive experience enroll in an auto-shop type class if your school has one.

I'd suggest searching for your car on these forums and skimming through some of the results for common problems with it. Often times these cars are prone to certain failures that you can either prevent by doing some kind of maintenance more frequently or 'differently'. Reading about other people's experiences can help you prevent the problem or spot it as soon as it happens.

At this point I would perform the regular maintenance after buying a used car, especially if it was obtained from some independent seller. This includes things like checking the spark plugs/wires and make sure they're not fouled, making sure the fluids are clean and the oil isn't black or gritty, replacing tires if the rubber on them is cracked or balding, etc.

Make sure you change the oil routinely, synthetic oil is more expensive but it will last longer and should do a slightly better job.

Thank you all for your advice. I am crazy about cars. I want to be a mechanic. Although I am new to the
    Hands on work. I have read multiple books and spent hours and hours doing research
    Online. I will deffinetely do research on the forums. I hope to talk to you guys soon. Maybe even get some
    Pictures and updates on how my car and I are doing

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

It will be expensive car to drive for a 16 y.o., no matter what you paid for it, parts/labor are still for a $55K+ car.
    If you do have the budget (or support) for it, all I can tell you is "keep it clean".
    Don't add aftermarket stuff and don't think you can improve it.
    The cars for these projects are Honda Civic.

Are there any common issues any of you can think of that happen to this model car? It is a 2003 Seville STS

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your 2003 (Seville) Seville Touring Sedan was the last of the test mules for the later upscale model F55 Magnetic Ride Control suspension system. You need to learn how to drive this car. It is capable of far more handling ability than it's given credit for. Do some research into PAS - Performance Algorithm Shifting; When driven to its limits the transmission goes into a sort of foot-controlled manual mode - rpm stays higher, upshifts are delayed, and lower gears are held far longer into turns and maneuvering situations.

Go up ^^^ to the top black bar and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive, especially the articles on the OLM (Oil Life Monitor), Northstar oil consumption, and coolant maintenance.

Your proper oil level (using 7.5 quarts of good 5W-30 oil with filter) is in the middle of the dipstick hashmark - XXXXXXXXXX - no higher.

Your engine does not have spark plug wires - it is COP - Coil On Plug - and uses two coil cassettes with integral ICM's and AC Delco #41-987 Platinum plugs ONLY.

DO NOT feel the need to dump magic potions or snake oil into your gas tank or crankcase - the engine does not need it and will not benefit from it in any way. (except to lighten your wallet).......... and please read your owner's manual article on the subject of using oil and gasoline additives in this car.

Your entire engine/drivetrain is calibrated for 87 octane gasolines - Google "top tier gasoline" to find out more.

Go down to Discussions, Cadillac Tech Tips and read through the pages of threads, surfing threads of interest.

Save your $$$$ and get a CORSA cat-back exhaust next year - and that's the ONLY - ONLY - "performance" option for your car. No tuners, no chips, no magic throttlebodies, wonderful injectors, NOTHING. What you have is what you have - take care of it.

Subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - the real GM shop manual plus a LOT more. Forget Chilton or Haynes: Too generic. Search eBay for a real GM/Helm 2-volume service manual.

Your car does not have "air ride" - it has rear Level Control which uses air bladders on the rear shocks to compensate for extra load in the trunk or rear seat. The rest of the suspension is constantly active - with no internal moving parts or valves in the struts or shocks - and it reacts in less that 1/1000 second.

If it didn't come on or in the car, engine, gas tank, why not ? Enter your VIN (case sensitive) into www.compnine.com to find out what's built into THAT car.

For pictures and diagrams of your car and parts, click my username, open the profile. 2 albums, 6 pages in the left column. You're free to use them for reference - our cars are identical.

When all else fails, read the owner's manual - twice.

Ask questions.

Thank you so much. That was very great information! I will get right on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.