Questions about the rare 2004 SLS and Northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Questions about the rare 2004 SLS and Northstar in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm in the market for a used car again. I heard that 2004 and later LD8 275hp Northstars received a ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Questions about the rare 2004 SLS and Northstar

I'm in the market for a used car again.

I heard that 2004 and later LD8 275hp Northstars received a coarser thread pitch for the head bolts to prevent head gasket failure. I know LD8 Devilles got this change for the 2004+ model years. So did the LD8 2004 Seville SLS receive the same improvements?

My understanding is also that the 2004 SLS also got the standard body colored trim like the STS but did not get CVRSS or F55 Magneride. Is this true as well?

It would seem, if the above is all true, that the most dependable Seville to buy is the 2004 SLS. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Questions about the rare 2004 Seville SLS and Northstar

2004 Deville Determining Headbolt Thread Pitch

i don't think any of the sevilles got the coarse thread pitch because they were early production
    but if any did you could tell the same way as mentioned in that thread for devilles
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Jesda, The last STS (K body) rolled off the line in June of 03, and STS was the only Seville to get F55 Magnetic Ride Control so it's pretty safe to say that the last gasp SLS didn't get it - and the last SLS was built in 12/03, 5 months into the 2004 model year. After that I think the production lines were rebuilt to handle the Sigma "STS" - a VIN check would tell if the later "STS" came from Hamtramck. As far as head bolt thread/length, I'll go with Chris - the whole new FWD Northstar came in for the later "DTS", so that's anyone's guess...........

Someone who regularly overhauls these Northstars - Jake Wiebe, Tim Carroll, or Joe at Midwest - would know for sure.

FWIW, my 2002.5 STS was bought by me on 11/21/05 and so far, at 63,500 miles, the only costs have been gas, oil, filters, tires, brakes, and a complete fluids exchange by Fitzgerald Cadillac. One CKP was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, the car is dead nuts reliable. Oh.........the driver's seat heater crapped out last January. WhoopDeeDooo !

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    You can email Tim at

Carrollcadillac@live.com

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Thanks guys. I e-mailed Tim.

My '01 STS was dead nuts reliable but I say, for longevity, the simpler the better.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

When I went to replace my wife's 1993 STS I also went with a 2002 SLS because of the passive supension components. Basically because of the long term maintenance costs being cheaper and also because of the slightly better gas mileage. We bought the 2002 SLS with 23,000 miles on it in October of 2007, in the five years since the only expense besides a new set of Michelins and regular maintenance have been a new pair of CKP's and a new front wheel bearing module. The car now has 63,000 miles on it. To be honest at this point I don't miss the difference between the STS and SLS. If long term, high mileage is the kind of use the car will be getting I'd definitely recommend the SLS (as long as it has the STS trim).

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Where did you get the "Spy vs. Spy" cartoon ?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

orconn's

i like this one too: white background
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.