Major malfunctions 99 STS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Major malfunctions 99 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This table is used to check battery state of charge with the battery completely disconnected and idle for at least ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Major malfunctions 99 STS

This table is used to check battery state of charge with the battery completely disconnected and idle for at least a half hour.

12.5 volts in the car, key:ON, engine OFF is just perfect. Your car should always show 14.2 - 14.8 volts at cruise engine speeds.

divine97godly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Sts
    I have no fire to the ignition coil so far according to the shop!!!

No ignition power is either a security system problem or bad IGN fuse(s) in the underhood or rear seat fuse boxes.

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

I've stated it before, IDK why it is (if it was a new alt or rebuilt) but when my alt was changed my voltage never goes above 14.1. Most of the time its at about 13.9 cruising.

So my car is having some type of ground issue. After waiting 19 days I finally went and towed it out of a shop to another more professional shop! Hopefully I will know what's exactly wrong by tomorrow morning!!

Ok was told its a bad engine mount bracket which is bending causing the ground wire on the alternator to fail, no exactly sure the details will find out in full tomorrow morning. Do know it's over a grand to fix!! My insurance is up next week too, this could be a sign!!

Sounds dubious - many other FWD models have had severely broken front center mounts, engine moves 2", and no broken wires: there should be plenty of slack in the harnesses, and there is NO motor mount in that car that could possibly cost $1,000 to replace.

Why don't you get into www.gmpartsgiant.com, your year, car, model, submodel, system and get to the parts text page for engines, mounts. At the top of the numbered descriptive text there is a "Get Info" tab - click it to get to the link for the parts illustration. Find brackets and mounts and compare prices.

sts 03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 sts
    Yeah I had my front one replaced and I was around $220 for labor and I think the mount was around $80 .$1000 is way to much.it can be done if u are mechanically inclined and have a decent set out tools.

Fixed all my problems!!! Except for oil pressure switch which they offered to fix for 100 dollars the light is blinking!! I going see if a oil change will stop the blinking cause I'm due or if I do have to replace going attempt to replace myself.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

An oil change will not help oil pressure. You need to replace the switch.

I added a quart of oil and the oul light doesn't come on anymore.

Here what was done to fix my problems!!

Inspected and performed diagnostic testing. Traced circuits. Inspected right front main engine ground cable, found its integrity is compromised due to a broken lower front engine mount, bracket appears to be bend as well. Broken mount is allowing engine to jump pulling on ground cable. Installed aux ground, problem still exist. Inspected ground at transmission, ok. Inspected ground at left side near transmission switch, found connector present but no ground wires. Looked for ground wires, found ground block under harness. It appears to be a replacement harness that has a lot of misrouted harnesses.
    Need to Reinstall ground with aux to ground block. All conditions not present, abs/tcs light on with current c1232 code for left front speed sensor, check brake pad message on and service stability message on. Harness for both not connected to anything, possible missing connector or misrouted somewhere. Repositioned engine harness, replaced ground strap on left side engine frame rail and replaced engine mount.
    Oil pressure sending unit leaking and oil light is coming on. Customer declined further work..

Mount $ 170
    BrAcket $35
    Tube $8
    Cable $17
    Labor $777

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If your oil level was low enough to trigger the oil pressure warning, the crankcase was nearly empty. Have you CHECKED YOUR OIL LEVEL WITH THE DIPSTICK???

It's was just at the add mark. I did check the dipstick! Seems like a relatively easy fix to change the switch. I have done some searching in the forum and have an idea about how to go about It.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.