Cadillac Owners Forum banner
973 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Krashed989 
#1 ·
I have a 97 seville (sls) with 100,000 miles.
The car is great except the northstar engine uses way too much oil.
The other day i was following the wife who was driving the seville on the expressway. We were cruising between 65 & 70.
About every 10 to 15 miles a large puff of smoke would shoot out the dual exhaust. It seem to last a couple of seconds.
Then eveything would be alright until 10 or 15 more miles and bam! another cloud of smoke would come shooting out.
Does this indicate trouble ahead or just normal for an oil burning engine?
Thanks

#2 ·
Normally the oil is not supposed to burn... when you park it for a while does a puddle of oil form beneath the car anywhere?... what temp is you car running at when the smoke comes out?... is the coolent level too low?... Did you have the car serviced recently? (because i have seen cases where the oil drain plug was not screwed in all the way)... the smoke coming out of the exhause implies that the engine is either running too lean (white smoke), or too rich (black smoke)... if it is white smoke one of the possibilities is that you have a blown head gasket and coolent is getting into one of the cylenders.

The first thing i would do is to check the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)...
HOW TO "ENTER" DIAGNOSTIC MODE
To enter diagnostic mode, proceed as follows:

Turn ignition "ON." Engine can be either OFF or RUNNING.
For cars equipped with the Digital Instrument Panel Display (Digital IPC):

Simultaneously press the "OFF and "WARMER" (red) buttons on climate control center (CCC) until all display segments (IPC and CCP) are illuminated
For cars equipped with the Analog Instrument Panel Display (Analog IPC):

Simultaneously press on the Climate Control Panel (CCP) the "OFF" and "PASS WARMER" (up arrow) buttons.
After the segment display test, the driver message center displays all set DTC, current and history, in the following order:

PCM DTC
IPC DTC
ACM DTC
SDM DTC
TCS DTC
PZM DTC
IRC DTC
RFA DTC
CCP DTC
MSM DTC
MMM DTC
PHN DTC
The RSS, CCP, MSM, MMM and PHN DTC appear only on vehicles equipped with these options. Press the FAN DOWN button in order to bypass the DTC display.

On the OBD II cars, the prefixes you'll see are: "IP" for the IPC instrument panel; "AC" for air conditioning module; "TC" for traction control; "RS" for the road suspension system; "SD" for the air bags; "PZ" for the body control module; "CC" for the cell phone; "RF" for the integrated radio system.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and for the long post. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.