Vacuum & other things - 1996 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Vacuum & other things - 1996 Eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i also have air pulled through that valve (whistling noise) which causes the car to start hard, among other things. ...
    el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup

Vacuum & other things - 1996 Eldorado

i also have air pulled through that valve (whistling noise) which causes the car to start hard, among other things. and also it is slightly oily. but the reason i answer here is that there is a vacuum line connected (at least in my case) to that valve body, and pretty sure the hvac stuff goes there. although i'm not 100% sure, since the car came with vacuum lines connected wrong or disconnected , still looking for a good diagram to figure out where stuff goes... anyways, pretty sure that hvac goes to that port.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Whistling pressure relief on N* Intake Manifold???

Maybe this will help. (3rd one from the bottom)
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528025ed69

thanks for the link ranger, unfortunately that's the one that i also have on the hood and doesn't say a lot about the vacuum lines. i have two valves or switches that would like to have vacuum on them (driver side, near coils) and also the hvac stuff and reservoir, but i can't find any diagram that tells me where stuff goes. some former mechanic fooled around with that pretty nicely and now there is almost nothing connected (just booster and 2 sensors (one on the tb and one on the booster)). well, i now connected the hvac and reservoir to the port on the blow off valve and it works ok (except brake release). so you see, i'm pretty much starting from scratch regarding vacuum... also other stuff has been fooled around with, but that'd be offtopic... i guess i'll open up a new thread with pics and everything, should make things easier. thanks again!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The indicated diagram has the correct vacuum hose connections. The solenoid/switch/vacuum thingy next to the coils is the EVAP purge solenoid. It opens vacuum to the EVAP system at steady part-throttle speeds in order to purge the emissions charcoal canister. Somewhere over there is also the T which goes to the HVAC and parking brake control diaphragms.

The port on the blow off valve ???? That's a constant air flow from the PCV system - the other vacuum lines are dead-ended: they move stuff in response to commands but they don't allow full-time air movement - as in: hisssssssss !!!!

The indicated diagram has the correct vacuum hose connections. The solenoid/switch/vacuum thingy next to the coils is the EVAP purge solenoid. It opens vacuum to the EVAP system at steady part-throttle speeds in order to purge the emissions charcoal canister. Somewhere over there is also the T which goes to the HVAC and parking brake control diaphragms.

see, not much of the vacuum stuff is in the diagram, said so yourself...

but i think you may help me with my doubts...

i'll try to explain what i have in there: evap purge solenoid, one more alike right next to it (so which is which? and what does the other do?); the open port on the right side; the open hose coming from the charcoal canister (at least i hope so, maybe no canister); booster and sensors connected correctly; line going to hvac; line coming from reservoir; pcv valve and line and the line to compensate fuel pressure. just imagine that all this stuff is disconnected and some lines are missing, etc. as if you'd take over a semi finished engine exchange project, do i make my point? i'll post pics later today, your help is already greatly appreciated.

didn't have a chance yet to take pics, tomorrow is very likely (was raining hard yesterday evening). but what i made quickly is a small drawing of what i have. please find it attached. if anybody out there would be willing to upload some pics or a small drawing of how you'd connect stuff, i'd appreciate it really much.2012-07-27 15.25.44_c.jpg

vacuum & other things

hi everybody,

recently bought my first cadillac, a 1996 el dorado. like it so far, but knew in advance this is gonna be a project...

this is actually the thread i opened after posting here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3038891

first issue is vacuum related, here's 2 pics of two valves that i don't know exactly what they do, one is evap, but which???

2012-07-29 17.17.38_c.jpg

2012-07-29 17.18.02_c.jpg

anybody got an idea?

next thing i need help with is the rev gage, doesn't work and i'd like to know where the signal comes from, one of the shaft sensors? i'd like to go from the source, maybe something is disconnected...

and the last one for today is the ignition system, starts hard, backfires sometimes and throws codes (actally it threw 27 today, related would be: ip1910, 1982, 2016, 2710 and 2750). changed out spark plugs today, and cylinders 3, 4 and 7 look as if they wouldn't fire well, now that's 3 different coils, hard to believe they screwed up all together. mostly it runs fine actually, seems only on acceleration that it takes some time to make the 8 cylinders work, i mean i just hold the pedal and after 2 seconds it starts to accelerate with more power.

many other things to do with the car, ride control is screwed (don't know yet how much), cruise control doesn't work, ac compressor has a broken pin (that's actually the worst, like 500 bucks for a "new" one, just because of a pin...). changed the heater core today and reconnected it, that was actually pretty straight forward, liked it. just that by working on one of the tubes behind the engine i accidently disconnected a camshaft sensor and the vehicle speed sensor, no clue how i did that, but this is back to normal now...

well, so if anybody has an idea on some of that stuff, any help is greatly appreciated! thanks for reading.

took some pics today, but i think this is going too far in this thread. started a new one here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3041072

double post...

Re: vacuum & other things

The top picture is the EVAP valve. Bottom one looks to be the same valve, but I noticed what appears to be a cracked vacuum lines.

Not sure where the tach gets it's signal from. I would guess the CKP sensors.

As for the hard starts and backfires, I'd start with plugs and wires (A/C Delco). Clean the TB and check for a leaky FPR.

P.S.
    Codes are meaningless without their definitions.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

el_dorado_mex, I moved your original vacuum posts to this thread to keep all the info on YOUR problem in one place.

thanks for moving the posts submariner!

thanks ranger for your answer, i'll change the cables, to rule out they are faulty. would it be common for the ignition module to have intermittent failure? i'd say that it might work or not work completely, but who knows...

regarding the apparently cracked vacuum line, it isn't connected right now, that's just the "configuration" i bought it with. figured yesterday that with the engine hot the lower valve is triggering vacuum at idle, the other one didn't do anything till now. i guess i'll connect evap to the one that seems to be working and leave the other one alone till i find out what it does...

the codes i threw just in to complete the topic, to be honest i yet haven't looked at them closely, i'll clean the memory and read out codes later on, to make sure the old stuff doesn't appear anymore. but as far as i could see in other posts regarding ignition problems, codes don't help a lot with that, since most likely you just get a general misfire...

update: found the attached diagram (http://parts.nalleygmc.com), looks like both valves work in line to release fuel fumes to the intake. weird setup... so the only open port should be the connection to the incoming line from the canister. well, gonna set it up like that and see how that works.

evap.JPG

and yes, it's a quiet day at work

so the only open port should be the connection to the incoming line from the canister.
    That's the vent port. Your diagram looks correct. Hook it up like that. Line #2 is the PCV clean air (intake) line and line #3 is the PCV dirty air line (from the crankcase).

thanks ranger, fortunately #2 and #3 are connected as supposed to, only the evap gave me a headache, but not anymore

next thing i'll check later today (if the rain lets me) are the ckp's, i think they (or their connectors/lines) might be the cause of the ignition problem. any ideas on resistance out there? found different values, around 300 ohms from one source and 700 to 900 from another...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.