Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Timesert/nutsert

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  91TexasSeville 
#1 ·
What is the difference between a nutsert and a timesert?, if any.

I see in another post that helicoils will not work. Why is that?

#3 ·
I addition to what "ranger" said, the helicoil is like a slinky and can/will load the hole unevenly. The Timesert is a one piece steel bushing and will apply the load evenly. The Timesert for the Northerstar head bolts, were designed specifically to be able to take the high tension loads of a head bolt.

They were the approved head bolt repair method by GM, for head bolts, before the Nortstars were sold to the public.

-George

#4 ·
It appears the Timesert is threaded on the outside of the bushing as well as the inside. Nutserts are more for sheetmetal and compress as the nut is inserted into the bushing (similar to a pop-rivet).

Once the block is timeserted will it allow multiple repairs? or does it need new timeserts each repair? Eventually you'll have a bretty big hole, right?

#6 ·
Timeserts are the best, but....

If you find yourself needing timeserts installed, you are by far, better off buying a remanufactured short block with timeserts and new sleeves already installed. It is a huge laborious job that eats money like candy, so if you can not pull your own engine and replace it yourself, I hope your checkbook balance is significantly better than mine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.