Coolant Leak - Cracked block? 99 STS, already studded
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Ranger
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Coolant Leak - Cracked block? 99 STS, already studded in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been ignoring a coolant leak for the last several months. It's getting worse so with my day off today ...
    ewb4arch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

Coolant Leak - Cracked block? 99 STS, already studded

I've been ignoring a coolant leak for the last several months. It's getting worse so with my day off today I decided to have a look. I "rented" the pressure tester from Vatozone. Pumping it up results in drips coming from around the oil filter/pan. I jacked it up first on the drivers side then passenger to see if that changed anything. Still dripping down the oil pan with either side up.

Shining a flash light around under there, I found what appears to be hairline cracks in the engine block just below the exhaust manifold. I've attached some photos. Lager version can be found here:

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/ewb4arch/

Are they cracks? Does that area of the engine have water channels?

Is there ANYTHING else above the oil pan toward the front of the car that could be the problem? I did replace the water pump & gaskets a few weeks ago so I know that's not it.

Looks like I may be car shopping,
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Coolant Leak - Cracked block? 99 STS, already studded

Sure looks like cracks to me............and they're right at the cylinder liner water jacket lower edges - way too far down to be head stud problems.

This may be one of the very few times I would advocate dumping in a half tube of Bar's Leaks G12BP powder - lower radiator hose only.

It won't fix anything, but might buy some time - engine block water jacket cracks are terminal..........

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Hard to tell if it is a crack or just the way it was cast, but that last pic looks suspicious.
    98eldo32v and 98eldo32v like this.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm no car expert, so I wanted opinions before I take it somewhere. Not sure I'll bother taking it anywhere, especially if a couple more people concur about the cracks.

I add about 1/2 gallon of coolant every week and a half so I have some time to shop around for something else. It's pushing 200K and has a few other issues, so I don't think I'll bother with an engine swap.

Thanks for the reply Sub. Hope your 4th is going well.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Looks like cracks to me too.

It took 20 pictures to get the three I posted. In the shadow a little further right, it looks even worse than these pics indicate. Looks like I found the leak at least. Sucks it can't be fixed though.

I'd spray it with Brakleen and then pressurize it again. If it is a leaking crack it should become pretty evident once cleaned.

Took Ranger's advice. Cleaned it up with Brakleen, blew it dry with the output of my shopvac and pumped the pressure up again. It was a little hard to see until I blew on it with the shopvac again. Could clearly see the coolant seeping out of the crack. Stick a fork in it

Thanks everyone for saving me a hour's of shop time somewhere for confirmation. Time to post it on the classifieds.

Sorry to hear that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.