Help Needed: Remove Door Lock Motor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Help Needed: Remove Door Lock Motor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    ZeroOctane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1993 4.9L Seville - Navi w/ backup cam, 40 Series Exhaust

Replace Door Lock Actuator (Motor)

Can anyone help me with removing the door lock motor (actuator) on the front passenger door? Iíve read through the applicable sections in the 93 Seville service manual but Iím still a little lost. It looks like the door lock assembly is located behind a metal plate that is held in by rivets, according to the manual. Iíve never encountered these rivets before and they look like a pain to remove. Hereís a picture of where Iím at;

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Help Needed: Remove Door Lock Motor

You'll obviously have to drill out the rivets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You'll obviously have to drill out the rivets.
    Ranger, thanks for replying (I was hoping you'd chirp in). I know your knowledge about these cars is levels above mine, but could you explain, even if a brief summary, how I remove the metal plate and get to the motor. The manual does mention drilling out the rivets; where do I find replacements?

I'm not sure if you have to remove the plate or just drill out the rivets and fish it out through the hole above it. To replace it you'll either have to pop rivet it or use screws and nuts. If you go that route, use lock washers and Loctite on the threads to prevent the nuts from loosening due to door slamming etc.

Making some progress here, albeit slowly. I did manage to remove the motor without having to take out the entire lock assembly or the deflector shield. It wasn’t easy, but by wiggling the assembly around you can get at the torx screws and remove the motor.

Next step is hitting the salvage yard. I’m planning to pull a motor from a 92-97 Seville, but will older/newer Seville’s work, and also how about Devilles and Eldorados (are their door lock motors compatible?). I don't believe left and right, front or back are interchangeable.

but will older/newer Seville’s work, and also how about Devilles and Eldorados (are their door lock motors compatible?).
    I would guess that GM would try to use as many interchangeable parts as possible.

Heading out there tomorrow. Any way I can verify if the motor functions properly while in the yard? I'm wondering if I would feel tension or resistance in the motor's arm moving it up and down (the arm on my broken motor feels limp, i.e. no tension).

The only way I can think of is to put 12v to it. Bring some jumper wires. I'm sure they have plenty of batteries sitting around.

Happy to say this was a 100% success and can confirm that it IS possible to replace the door lock actuator without removing the shield. Not easy, especially if you have large hands, but it can be done. No one else has detailed the procedure despite my finding numerous threads inquiring into aspects of the process so Iíll give it a shot. Having the FSM will greatly aid in doing this (or any other work for that matter).

I pulled one from a 94 Seville at the yard for $15; tested it before installation to verify it worked. Other models and generations may work, but for simplicity Iíd stick with 92-97 Sevilleís. I connected the cables first, YMMV. When installing, I needed to make sure the lock was in the unlocked position while aligning the teeth on the lock with the teeth on the door lock actuator. To do this without removing the assembly is difficult; you need view what is going on through the lock slot on the door. Once that is accomplished you need to secure the actuator to the assembly via the T10 torx screws. Replace the three larger exterior torx screws that secure the entire assembly to the door. Lastly, you need to snap the motors plastic arm with the rubber bumper into the slot on the lock, otherwise the switches wonít work properly. This is difficult because you canít see the components and you need to feel around, also be careful you donít damage the bumper. This process is indicated in the second (orange arrow indicating location of bumper and slot) and third picture.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.