Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  91TexasSeville 
#1 ·
I'd like to touch-up some scratch marks on my Eldo's chrome hubcaps, but don't want to spend the $$$ to have them dipped in real chrome. Any suggestions? Anyone heard of the chrome out of a spray can? If so, how is the quality and who is reputable manufactuer? thanks
jace

#2 ·
"chrome" spray paint is purty cheap stuff...it'll come off of a wheel pretty quick. Unless there's some type out there that I've not heard of, it won't work very well or for very long...sorry to be of no help

#4 ·
Spray on chrome paint is difficult to get realistic chrome look results, everybody who has tried, knows that.

There are ways to perfect your technique and get good results.

As an experiment, I painted a Cadillac alloy wheel with chrome paint and it looks genuine. How long it would last in daily service is another question. I did this to use as a spare just to match my other genuine chromed wheels.

I tried several different methods and also tried using a clear top coat with horrible results. The clear actually turned the chrome paint a hazy white.

There are no secrets to a good quality chrome spray job. An aerosol can is fine for most jobs. If you think about the chrome process, it is not just a dip in chrome plate but really consists of several process before the finish. The same is true with the spray paint.

You need to practice applying each coat of paint. It is IMPORTANT not to get too close or too far away from your work. One wet coat avoiding overspray is all that is needed. You can repeat the process as many times as you like, but each coat must be throughly dry before attempting another.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.